1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Update at RoBo 3D Headquarters!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Harry, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

The only thing I want is more communication. They could of told us sooner that the plastic parts where not going to be in on time, they probably knew at the beginning to mid of april that it was not going to happen by the end of april. Lack of communication on kickstarter projects drive me nuts, it's the only thing most people ask for after the main campaign is over but yet very few project creators communicate well. I'm not saying team RoBo is doing a horrible job, I'd give them a 7 out of 10 for communication.

2. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Ben, I agree in principal with what you are saying, but…..

I think they should be focused on the “now” since they don’t have a product out yet. Yes, people should have an eye to the future, but how good is that eye with no current product/sales in the marketplace? How much time should you take planning for the future when you have current backers/customers asking for info/communication and not getting it?

And I’ll admit that companied like Dell and Gateway have had ups and downs, but that’s an issue around management of those companies. All of the ones I mentioned are/were multi-million/billion dollar industries, so yes, I’d advocate that for Robo3d.

My comments around the consultant are because I have seen that kind of thing before with other companies that I’ve worked with. Just because a consultant has a good track record with one company does not mean that their knowledge will apply to a different company, especially if it’s in a different industry. I’ve watched companies blow tens of thousands of dollars and months of time following “recommendations” from consultants for zero improvements. Robo may have gotten someone who is highly recommended, but based around software and not hardware, and that could be an issue. I don’t know if it IS an issue, but since the Robo team is new to things, I felt it was worth pointing out that one size/type consultant does not “fit all.”

As far as being “backseat drivers”…. obviously they are going to run their company their own way…… but I think they DO need us to be backseat drivers. All of the Robo team are new at this, while many of us backers have been around for quite a while. We (backers) have experience dealing with customers, shipping delays, project deadlines, global/mass communication, production issues, PR, and various other things. We can easily help the Robo team understand what we need from them. We can help make them a better company by letting them know what kinds of communication we need from them, and teach them about how to handle customers outside of Kickstarter once they grow. WE can be part of that “eye to the future” and help them grow before they have to deal with the “general public.”

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with Michael's last paragraph in as much as we are a good resource that can be utilized. In chatting with several individuals I see they are a diverse group and would probably have things they can contribute. We are not only the primary backers but the ones that have a desire for their business to succeed as well. Things need to be done in the proper order and communication is a key element that needs to have a high priority. We do as backers of a kickstarter project understand that delays are often part of the entire thing.

I look at it this way any news is always good even if it is about delays it can show how the team is trying to overcome or limit the effect of the delay, it gives us confidence that we are not forgotten. If we hear nothing we will, based on human nature, assume the worst and that is rarely the case.

4. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Micheal, so.. Do you know what issues they are facing? I certainly don't as they didn't explain what is happening. Which is my issue with your comment. It is effectively "drive-by advice" which isn't useful and a lot of time harmful for moral.

There are a lot of good (and I'll agree lot of bad) reasons to call in an external subject mater expert. A few (which I doubt any of us can really help them with):

- They were having bargaining issues to get better buying power.
    - They were having general parts supply chain issues (or see that they will later this year).
    - They were facing internal employee benefits issues.
    - They needed an outside review of their business plan to ensure that their plan is in the same direction as their goal.
    .. The list goes on.

These are all VERY GOOD reasons to call in outside help. And since they didn't go into the nuts and bolts this is why your advice isn't useful. It is again "drive-by useless advice."

I'm sorry to be blunt. But it is random drive-by advice like this that really torques me off. As I've been on the receiving end of getting such advice from "experts" tell me what to do without knowing what was trying to be solved. And trust me it doesn't endear you to people that are working hard to build you a product/service.

That pretty much is the last I'll say on this topic. *shrug*

5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Guys. I think the consultant you guys are thinking of, is helping them make decisions for the current Robo. I am going to clear this up, as from my understanding it is actually for something else. I am going to get this cleared up for you all!
    - HV

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Here is the exact quote from the update:
    "And we also ask you for your insight and ideas as we move forward! "

They asked for feedback, so maybe we can stop the 'drive-by useless advice' and 'backseat' comments? All that is is picking on each other. In my opinion, one of the best things we can all do to help the RoBo team is to ensure that there is a great online community to provide support, which does mean that there are going to be some discussions where people have differing opinions. It doesn't mean we have to resort to 'you don't know what you're talking about'. I can say that personally I have stopped reading the Makerbot forum because of just that type of BS.

The RoBo team are grown people who should have the judgement to pick and choose which opinions they do or do not listen to just like anyone else does when they read online comments from people that do not know the whole story.

There's no need to try and shut anyone else down because you don't agree with them.

3 people like this.
  7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Thank you Printed. Guys, I know I am trying my hardest possible to get you the answers you want, and I know the Robo Team back at HQ (There new HQ!) is trying their best to get me the answers I need. You guys need to remember, I am helping the Robo team, but I am also a backer. I feel the same pain you guys do when there is a delay, but think about when Apple starts manufacturing new products in China, what happens? They go an higher, or we hear they do, students or kids to do their work. Then they get issues with press and activists. Think about it for Robo, they have one delay and then their backers get upset. Sorry if that did not make any connection, not fully up, just got out of bed! We'll I'll keep pushing to get more information.
    - HV

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Harry I believe you and the Robo Team are trying as hard as they can and doing a great job. They know what we are saying we need to move on to more productive things like this forum was meant for and what was originally happening. I feel if individuals want to vent let them do it via email directly to the team anyone going to kickstarter can get it there and I am sure when things happen that will alleviate any criticisms that have occurred, either they directly or through Harry will let us know.

This forum is for development of and exchange of ideas tips and processes. I know I have learned a lot in the last few weeks and I look forward to learning a lot more. I talk with people who are actually printing on other printers and learn things almost everyday.

We all know we don't have the printers yet but comments about the business don't really impact that. How the team is building their business is their concern unless you are a investor above and beyond the printer I would try and address those questions and comments directly to them as it is more a private concern.

I too have been guilty of asking question that were probably not best asked in this forum but will not do so any more.

Let them do their job and we will get our printers soon enough

9. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

This discussion is interesting on several counts but I think Matt and Jeff have been getting to the crux of things. "This forum is for development of and exchange of ideas tips and processes." Yes. The founders asked for feedback and the core for most of us is: more information more often. Yes.
    It seems to be that when we take things personally that the bickering and dissension cranks up. I hope we can all try a bit harder to separate our personal peeves from the basic discussions. Rants and slams will do far more to alienate participants than any lack of info from the RoBo team.
    By the way, Harry - Great Job on the whole forum format and function!

2 people like this.
  10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

NP 1d1! Love helping the community!

11. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

I want my printer!!! *lays on stomach and pounds the ground with feet and fists* For us "early bird" backers does this mean we will get ours along with everyone else that had printers during the months that were delayed? Not impatient, but just wondering how "molded parts" became a mechanism for a screeching halt to production.

12. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey PCLabtech, so we have some parts hopefully coming in this week by air, then we hope to get the cases as well soon. More information can be found on the chatbox by Coby.
    - HV

13. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

LMAO... I picture my 4yr old throwing a fit.

14. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

what is the new shipping dates ?
    you must have a schedule to when you're suppose to start shipping ?

15. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I don't think they will have a schedule because they do not have delivery of all the parts yet.

I am pretty sure that we will be the first to know when they receive the moulded parts and will then be ready to complete the build.

16. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

there should be a rough estimate of when all the parts are expected.
    if you order anything from anyone he gives you a delivery date or a duration for production
    personally i would wanna know if I'm waiting for a month or two or six

17. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Getting estimated dates with from China is a joke, they always tell you what you want to hear.

18. Electrocutioner

Electrocutioner New Member

yea this is the problem with dealing with China, you need some experience or "your gonna have a bad time"..

When i deal with chinese suppliers, we always have to put in holdback clauses and penalties for missed deadlines, otherwise your work constantly gets pushed to the bottom of the pile for anything that either pays more, or larger quantity.

Based on bast nightmares, I've seen parts delayed 6 months before we learned this trick and started insisting on performance clauses. Remember its a different mentality there. There is no work pride unless you pay for it, or insist on it in writing.

I really hope the Robo3d team hasn't payed them 100% upfront, otherwise this could get really bad before its over.

Could Harry or Coby please let us know the state of the contract? please tell me you guys have something in writing to ensure we actually get parts this year? otherwise I can tell you from 20+ years experience, excuses are China's biggest export. I hope to hell you have some holdback on those jokers, otherwise i think we are forked..

Would you be willing to send me the design files? I can probably CNC/Vacuum form the parts and ship them to you for my printer well before you ever see the chinese parts.

19. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

So the delay was not about a week or so after all.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't just log in to start moaning. I fully understand it's a new project made by inexperienced(in mass production) people.

I'm just saying it's more frustrating to keep underestimating the delay(over and over) than give a realistic(revised) estimated delivery date(even if it's for a month or two late).

20. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Like I said earlier in the thread, the week delay wasn't going to be true. Since they where almost already a week behind. And even if it was a week delay from when they updated that means the molds would of had to be done already and they parts where about to ship. I still wish they gave us a update on the other molds, I really hope I get my printer before the end of June, I want to print some stuff to use on a camping trip D: