1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've been playing around with the supports more on this with PLA on the robo and I have to agree with everyone else. Excellent support generation and easy removal.

2 people like this.
  2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Ok, after AutopsyTurvy's recent experience with changing to Simplify3D I purchased it just about 3h ago. Still waiting on my download and license email :( which I have now contacted them about. Guess I won't be staying up all hours exploring it tonight. Hopefully they sort the email so I can tomorrow night though.

3. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

I hope it won't take you too long to get it, Galaxius. We got ours basically immediately (or, rather, my husband IM'd me the link and serial about 5 minutes after I went "ugggh I want this software so bad but it is so expensive" at him), so it shouldn't be too long for yours. It's worth the wait! :)

4. Galaxius

Clayton from Simplify3D forwarded me the email so now I have it yay :) Will start playing with it tomorrow. Looking forward to smoother faster prints.

2 people like this.
  5. Galaxius

S3D is pretty impressive but the top layer solid infill has gaps and I can't seem to fix it. I don't have this problem using Repetier + Slic3r. Slic3r's top layer finish is quite nice but S3D's is rougher and has gaps. This has really disappointed me. Any ideas?

There's some other annoying usage bugs with the software but I'll raise them on the S3D forum or directly with S3D.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not seen that issue, however that would be the best route. If you want we can compare settings... it does not use a config file (at least I have never found one).

7. Galaxius

That would be great thanks. I'll post mine here tomorrow. Under the File menu there's Save Format File or something. I'm sure that's all the print settings and your job queue.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:) OK, let me know. I had not thought to look there for it, was looking for an actual file on disk and it doesn't seem to keep one. Makes sense I guess.

9. Galaxius

Attached is the FFF file I'm currently using after printing 12 10mm test cubes. Just remove the ".txt" extension to import into Simplify3D, it's actually an xml file. To Import/Export FFF files Add/Edit a process (bottom left of the main window) and Import/Export the profile (at the top of the FFF Settings window).

The prints below is Slicer on the left and Simplify3D on the right. The top layer on the flat bit is better from Slicer as I'm still getting gaps from S3D (the gaps are worse than the photo shows). I wish you could use Slicer with S3D. My opinion of S3D so far is nice interface with a fast and clever slicer but lacking in finish quality. I haven't printed anything requiring supports with S3D yet as I would really like to fix these top layer gaps first. Please share ideas and FFF files, hopefully we can nail a Robo3D profile :)

IMG_2866[1].JPG

Attached Files:

Burncycle likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nothing special, but here it is. I do not have this artifact on the surface (or anywhere) on my prints. Look at the Z axis test print I did for Ziggy's research.

Attached Files:

11. Galaxius

Thanks Mark. I'll report back after I do a compare and test.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It looks a little bit like a small percentage of under extrusion, but I can't really tell from the picture :)
    If you are looking for a knob to tweak I would suggest starting there.

13. Robb

Robb Member

I ordered it about 2 hours ago and still no email. Anyone have any advice. Really want to start using it.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Check your spam folder. When I bought it it went straight to spam for some dumb reason.

15. Robb

Robb Member

Nothing. Not in spam or inbox.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Send them a message then, they should send it to you.

17. Galaxius

When I ordered i didn't get an email at all, wasn't even in the spam folder which I checked again last night. I contacted them and they forwarded me the email again.

I'm interested in you experience and setup of it once you've tweaked it.

@Mike, could you post your FFF file please so I can compare mine against it. I really want to solve these top layer gaps.

18. Robb

Robb Member

Ok so i got it and i'm in.
    Here are my problems so far. I'm using Mark's file above.

1. It will not let me print using the 'begin printing over USB' button. I have to save the gcode and use the machine control panel.
    2. Extruder doesn't heat up when i upload a gcode to start a print. I have to use manual controls to heat it up before the print starts.

Here is my starting gcode
    G28 ; home all axes
    G92 Z0.90 ;Define new Z home
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    G29 ;Autocalibrate bed

Here is my ending gcode
    M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
    M140 S0 ; turn off bed
    M84 ; disable motors

Good lord this thing hauls a$$. I think i am going to slow it down a little.

19. Galaxius

Have a look at my FFF file above too, there might be some differences that help you. I haven't had a chance to compare them yet sorry.

20. Robb

Robb Member

Looking over it now Galaxius.