1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Weird. I do not have the auto leveling version, but it works as you would expect...
    Like Galaxius said you can download our FFF files and that has the settings we are using if you want to try them.

2. Robb

Robb Member

Do you print using the 'Begin Printing Over USB'. Cant seem to get that to work.

Or do you just print from SD card.

I have both of your files and am tweaking them a little.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not have an SD card adapter :)

Old Kickstarter Robo here...likely a different firmware version if you have an SD card slot.

I can use either "Begin Printing Over USB" or save the GCode and start printing by loading it in the Machine control panel. I have to do the Prepare to print (which slices it) and then I can just print via USB.

4. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I'm the same as Mark. Kickstarter model and printing over USB.

5. Robb

Robb Member

I can not get begin printing over USB to work for me at all. I'll keep trying.

6. Galaxius

Have you changed the baud (I think)setting to 250000? Bring up the manual control window by clicking the cog icon on the right hand side tool strip and make sure you can connect and control the printer.

2 people like this.
  7. Galaxius

@Mark. I've compared our config files and I'm printing faster at 80mm/s and have changed a lot of settings to reduce the number of retractions. I increased my extrusion multiplier to 1.03 which appears to have helped a bit but in turn causes worse blobing.

After seeing your post regarding getting the right filament temperature, ie it doesn't curl up to the nozzle, I'll try adjusting that. I'm likely running too hot because mine does curl up, but I did that because I was having extrusion issues where the hob was grinding the filament and increased temp helped reduce that. Now that I've completed my spool holder there will be no resistance for the extruder to pull the filament which would have contributed to the filament grindage. FYI spool hub/holder here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:364581

The finish is still better with Slic3r 1.1.4 with it's new features but I really like everything else about S3D. Hopefully S3D release an update soon with some more configuration options, especially for external/top layers.

8. Robb

Robb Member

Can you post your s3d config file? Would like to see your settings.

Btw- got my print over USB working. Had to right click and run as admin. Stupid windows.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

+1
    :)

10. Galaxius

Both Mark's and my FFF config files are attached earlier on in this thread. I have also posted instructions on importing and exporting the FFF file. I'm still tweaking my config to try get it better though.

11. gstercken

gstercken Member

Just bought S3D (after hesitating, like everyone else, because there's no free trial). The email arrived after one hour, and I was able to download the installer, using the product code they sent. However, after installing and trying to launch, the code is required again for activation - and is not accepted this time. Annoying bug, especially since we have to pay for the software without trying it first, and now can't even run it. I emailed their support, but no reply yet.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you run it as Administrator? If you have UAC still enabled you have to run it elevated to get it to 'stick'.

13. gstercken

gstercken Member

Yes, I tried running both the installer and the software itself as admin. Tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Always the same problem.

It's only once that I got a different error message (after a few second) about the activation server not being reachable. At all other times, I get the message:

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Weird. If you are online and running the first time as admin it should just work.
    The support guys may have an override/reset procedure to try.

Oh, duh, make sure the windows firewall is not rejecting the outbound connection to the activation server. That would be an issue...

15. gstercken

gstercken Member

Ah, good catch! But unfortunately, that wasn't it: I disabled the firewall, same problem.

Maybe it's really an issue with a swapped activation code or so? Just waiting for the reply of S3D's support.

Thanks anyway, Mark!

16. Galaxius

Version 2.1.1 has been released. The Check for Updates option doesn't work so you need to download it using the link provided in your purchase email. Can't wait to try it and see if my quality issues are resolved, or are now resolvable.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Weird, I just downloaded it from their regular page and re-used the product key they sent.
    No special download link.

18. Darkhunter12

Darkhunter12 New Member

Just downloaded it today, and had no problem installing. My problem was after slicing, a windows box will pop up saying "simplify3d.exe has stopped working." So it crashes. I am running windows 7 (64bit)and my stls are not too big (I tried a 68kb file) and I tried all default settings! Please help :)

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ping their technical support (they actually have one).

http://www.simplify3d.com/support/

They are pretty quick to respond and may have some diagnostics for you to do.

20. Darkhunter12

Darkhunter12 New Member

Hahah, already have. Just was unsure how long they were going to take so I hit up the forum