1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tyler's printer

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by TylerJones4292, Dec 20, 2013.

1. TylerJones4292

TylerJones4292 New Member

That's what I did to get it where it is now.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You haven't tightened your pulley set screws yet? They're probably loose then

3. TylerJones4292

Exactly what tool do I need to adjust it? None of the odds and ends I have on hand fit just right.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You don't have a Allen wrench kit? I think it's between 1.5 and. 2

I believe mine came with the right Allen wrench

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it is a good thing to check all pulleys and gears attached to your printer when you first get it shipping is a mysterious activity and anything can happen. Also do quick checks on the wiring as well it is best to find things like this out early so things can be replaced if needed.

Its not a good thing to get your printer all setup only to have to redo it because something major was actually working improperly, but you compensated for it.

6. TylerJones4292

No, I've tried all the little Allen wrenches I can find and none quite fit the set screws.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What sizes are you trying? Allen wrenches are some of the most common household tools. I'm kinda surprised you don't have one.

8. TylerJones4292

Me too! I thought I had just about all of my bases covered between these:
    [​IMG]
    But the two on the left are too big, and none of the ones in the set fit. Maybe because they're not metric?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Exactly because they're not metric.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It would probably be best to get a small set of both metric and ansi allen wrenches not the screwdriver tip style the actual wrenches are nice because you can use both ends which is something I do all the time nice sets of each are not that expensive
    a cheapy set is here you may be able to get an additional $5 off too for a first time buyer LOL

http://www.cleanitsupply.com/p-5703...OPQrNmH9Ju52O-shkPhIvc08y5QbDdkswiBoCV3zw_wcB

As Mike says it is a nice thing to have around and they come in nice small little cases so you won't lose any of them

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I personally prefer the ball cut ends for allens. So much nicer to use

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree lets you get in from any angle but these will work

13. TylerJones4292

I got the right one today and tightened the set screws. Never thought I'd spend a whole forum page figuring out how to properly tighten a screw, but here we are.

I'm going to put some threadlock on it when I'm sure that it's tightened down properly and working. Any recommendation on which kind to use?

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

haha we do what it takes to help you out

15. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Use Blue Loctite which is medium strength and removable. Be very careful because it can be runny. Don't let it run down the Z or Y stepper motor shafts! That leads right into the bearings:(.

16. TylerJones4292

Okay, the set screws are tightened and locked, and I also tightened the two screws holding the hotend in place extra tight to eliminate any wiggle. Between those it seems to have sorted out my wobble problems.

For now.

My new headache is juggling all these different slicing/print control programs. I'm most accustomed to Repetier and it gives me the most control, but also gives me the most errors for finding non-manifold geometry on things I find on Thingiverse. I tried Cura for a bit and it slices better, but doesn't give me control over certain things that I need to change, like bridge speed. I'm looking at other things like Netfabb and Matter Control but don't know if they're going to fix any of my problems.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is a pity Simplify3D does not have a demo or trial version.

18. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Remember Repetier is not a slicer, it's just a manager for slicering and printing. You are probably using Slic3r? Do you have the current version? I find it does work quite a bit better now.

19. TylerJones4292

I hate to say but the slipping issue reared its head again! It was nowhere to be found since my last few tweaks and all my early test prints in woodFill, but just now as my ukulele head was near completion the top segment slipped to the side (x-axis) a few mm and I don't know why! My set screws are tight and locked in place and the x belt is a good tightness.

[​IMG]

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you don't see that artifact in the layer view then it is something the printer did (and it looks like a belt slip/skip). You can try slowing down the speeds and see if that helps...

[obviously if you DO see it in the sliced layer view then the slicer did that and the printer faithfully executed it]