1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Spool Holder

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Coby Robo 3D, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Coby Robo 3D

Coby Robo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey RoBo 3Der's,

We were going back and forth on whether or not we should put a spool holder on the machine itself. After testing some ideas, we have came up with the best solution we could with what we had to work with.

We are going to include a spool holder that attaches directly to the printer! This doesn't mean you have to use it but it is there for ease of use.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Very nice, Is that acrylic? Must be expensive, unless acrylic is really that much cheaper in the US then Canada D:

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Coby, it looks pretty but will probably not be too useful. I find that I am frequently getting spools that are different spool diameters and have ultimately settled on primarily just using a piece of pipe clamped to the table as my filament holder. Works great : )

My suggestion would be that you guys use the money and resources you would use on the filament holder and get more machines made faster / molded parts expedited.

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

that looks like there is plenty of room for different diameter spools. Have you seen a spool bigger than the robo3d case height?

5. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I meant ID not OD. The last order of filament I placed with matter hackers came in on spools with about a 5/8" bore.

6. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

So go ahead and include it, or, for me, forget it and include more filament for me to get familiar with this medium...

7. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I'm rereading my initial response and it might have come across as more negative than intended.

My Makerbot Replicator comes with a spool holder that sets into a slot cut into the back of the machine. Its relatively easy to print spool holders for spools with different bore sizes. Even then, its a little annoying when I order filament and it shows up with a new bore size and I have to print up a new holder.

The holder that you have posted would only work with the one size spool and would not be easily adaptable to different size spools. So the very first time a new bore size spool shows up, the printer owner would have to make their own spool holder anyways.

8. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

looks like the spool rod is interchangeble to me, looks like a bolt or screw holding it in. could be wrong though.

Wont hurt the spool to use a smaller diameter rod 5/8" diameter rod will work for all spools.

2 people like this.
  9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

From the looks of the pic, I was thinking the holder was a piece of acrylic sheet formed around a semicircle piece, but I bet you're right.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Is it only the diameter of the hole in the spool or have those who get filament regularly know if the OD of the spool changes as well. Are there other things that can change? Trying to think of a way to keep it dry as well as some other are just was giving it some thought but I kind to need to know all the params that can change.

11. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

CIMG2252.JPG
    varies from manufacturer

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well that just sucks
    LOL

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to come up with something that will help with what that yellow spool is doing right now unspooling

14. Drathus

Drathus Guest

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw that and it could possibly lead to other issues

16. Drathus

Drathus Guest

It should serve as a good starting point at the least. So long as the inner-diameter of the holding clip is small enough it will be able to maintain tension of the filament against the spool, which would keep it from pulling back and unspooling.

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I was actually thinking of something the entire spool could fit into and almost sealed so the desiccant packets like silicone could be used to help keep it very dry

18. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Thats great your including a spool holder... The great thing about sending RoBo-1 out to us backers is that we are not traditional customers. We understand there may be some minor issues and are willing to help you solve these issues. I bet after we all get our RoBo you will have multiple spool holder ideas posted here. If the one you sent works best we will let you know... If there is a way to make it better we will let you know!

19. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

I was thinking of making 2 pieces of wood, carved with a U shape the same size as the hood arc, with a bar between them. Then you can just sit the spool holder on top of the printer... a project to look forward to.

20. Capitalist

Capitalist New Member

I guess it's late now but what about including a keyhole(s) on the back of the frame and provide a scale able model so users can print a holder with what ever diameter they need.