1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D 1.75mm all metal hotend arrives..

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by CAMBO3D, May 28, 2013.

1. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

NICE CAMBO!

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks great actually better than great looks amazing with no support I am assuming it is ABS or is it PLA.

Ok a few questions first of all what quality would you say the printer you just printed on is or will be in comparison to the ROBO what grade would you give this printer and why and secondly I am not sure if you posted both but if you wouldn't mind could you post the links for both hotends I would like to do what you did here so maybe I can contact them and order the individuals pieces instead of two complete hot end to make one good one and not be able to use the extra parts for replacements might save some money that way. Lastly how long did it take to get the parts from each manufacture. Oh I guess there is one more if I am to successfully build the assembly you have what parts from what kit were you actually using for the final assembly so I kinda know what to ask for.
    Thanks

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

yeah for a rostock which uses the bowden extruder setup, this is actually pretty good retraction.

i dont know about quality wise since I dont have the robo to compare, but print wise the rostock will print 100microns or better, just like most 3d printers out there.

hotend trinitylabs.com,(in stock last i checked) http://e3d-online.com (3 or more weeks lead time from the uk)

I didn't order parts and make my own. those are complete manufacture hotends i'm using. the photos of above are from my experimenting with different parts, that's not what i'm using in my printer.

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

printing with nylon 618, 1/8" garolite le build surface. Calibration cube as test print

CIMG2230.JPG CIMG2235.JPG

more photos to come

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Cambo with all these hot ends floating around with you now I have a few questions
    1. What hot end is on this machine?
    2. Which do you like better between the two new ones you just got if you had kept each stock and why?
    3. Which are going to put in the ROBO when you get it is it the combination one you made fro both the other hotends?
    Thanks

6. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

ED3, hybrid hot end is just experimenting at this point.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok Thanks I will be ordering one and will install it when I get it

8. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

something that I found out about nylon today is that.

It absorbs moisture worst than pla so some sort of drying box or filament prep will be needed before use. (ie. baking in the oven) extra hassle in printing with nylon. I can't get a decent print because of how much moisture is in my filament and it didn't help that my nylon had been in storage waiting for my metal hot ends to arrive. desiccant was not enough

just a note if you plan on using nylon, make sure you keep it stored with something like this or similiar http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry-500-mini-dehumidifier/

it was actually fun to watch all the steam and popping coming off the hot end from the filament

The ED3 seems to working great with it.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I hope to be working with nylon so I will be doing this thanks this will be very helpful
    OH just ordered the hot end thanks for that as well

10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

So far my ED3 has been working great on abs, and nylon. I have not tried pla yet. Although I've seen some mixed reviews from users that have used pla with it. Will have to wait for my filament to arrive to see for myself.

overall really happy with this hot end.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

"I hope so, I ordered one TOTALLY ON YOUR SAY SO so if it suc** I know who I am going after" he says with dread in his voice.

LOL

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

after seeing some videos of how the robo3d hot end mounts, I'm wondering if the ed3 will fit up the same way. the ed3 isn't exactly the same spec as the original j-head hotend, the mounting flange is thinner as seen in the photo below (ed3 is the bottom in the photo) . that being said I'll probably have to make a little spacer so that it will fit snuggly with the stock mounting screws.

CIMG2310.JPG

13. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

The original j-head doesn't look like it goes up that far, the ed3 may still fit.

14. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

the one on the robo require screws on the side, with the gap of the ed3 being bigger those screws may not hold so well without a spacer. but well see

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

as long as I can get something so it works on the ROBO somehow I am happy

16. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Ahh I see what you mean now.

17. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Have you tried this with your RoBo yet?

18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

it needs a bracket made for it to fit properly or the use of different type of screws from the stock ones.

I'm thinking nylon screws could possibly work, or just smaller screws but i've not tried it yet.

i'm working on an adapter plate made especially for this. Will post update on this once I get it made up.

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Cambo will this be something we can print up ourselves or will it need to be metal as well

20. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

it can be printed or aluminum for those that want an aluminum version.

edit:
    An M3 screw seems to work and hold the ed3 in place. Just get one the same length as the stock screw. This is probably a cheaper and fast way to get your ed3 installed. It will leave thread marks in it though but it works and its easier to use vs the stock screws.
    CIMG2695.JPG CIMG2697.JPG

2 people like this.