1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

RoBo3D Autolevel via Mike Kelly

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Jun 1, 2014.

1. collin

collin New Member

thanks mike :) im so close to having my printer back on line

2. collin

collin New Member

upload_2014-7-28_11-19-13.png does this look right? i.e. does the lift nozzle command sit after the code?

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

looks fine to me

4. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

I got my R1 last week. Does this thread still apply for these G-code updates?
    My G-Code in MatterControl reads as follows...

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    G28 Z0 ; Home Z again in case there was filament on nozzle
    M565 Z0
    G29 ; probe the bed

5. Billm

Billm Member

excellent work Mike.
    I have never used matter control, and cant find out how to "flash the board" with your files.
    where do I put your files?
    what do I do in matter control to use your files?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I use Arduino IDE to flash my board. Load the complete auto_level_series_6_10 and then click upload.

The files should all stay in the folder that matches the name of the .ino file.

I think it's possible to flash firmwares in MC but I've never done it.

Just to be clear you did my mod youself, and not purchased from team robo?

7. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Hello,

I have received the upgrade kit from ROBO - what I do not see - after I will have installed both addional Switches -where do I connect them? A connector on the RAMPS board? And what about the original single Z-Axis home Switch?
    I assume that I haven´t understood the entire upgrade process yet...Maybe someone can advise me?
    Flashing/changing Firmware - no Problem for me! Just about how to wire...

Best regards,

Matthias

#47 lemuba, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The switches plug into the Z- spot on the ramps board Where it says Z Endstop

This switch assembly replaces the original Z endstop entirely. You can remove it.

Just to be clear, if you have 4 wires going into the connector plug you need to install Auto_Level_6_10

If you modify your wiring to be in series as I suggest here, use the firmware in the OP

2 people like this.
  9. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Hello Mike,

perfect and clear now! THANK YOU!!!

Br,

Matthias

10. Billm

Billm Member

I never could get the ABLC with repitier host to work. The nozzle always was on the glass. So I downloaded matter control and used the auto leveling setup that is in the software. It only used 3 test points instead of the 9 in g29. After about 1 hr of printing it kept running but was not extruding pla. I found that the serrated shaft nearly eat through the pla and filled the grooves with plastic. I only had this happen with abs when the temp was too low. In over 100 pla jobs it never happened. Also the top surface of the first layer is very rough as if the nozzle is dragging along the surface. The temp was 200 and I tried 205. Same thing! It defaulted to.4mm first layer height and it measured at .41-.42. Any suggestions?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you still too low? Pictures help

12. Billm

Billm Member

You can see the dragging then eventually it stops extruding. The gear is still turning but the hob is full of plastic and doesn't push. This was at 200c , same as always. Only difference is I usually print at 0.2mm and MC defaults to .4 which was ok by me as this is a big job (9hr)

Attached Files:

13. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

That's too low.
    When the first layer is too low, it causes the material to push out the sides of the nozzle as it goes by creating a ripple effect that clumps even worse on the next pass. It also creates pressure inside the hotend that prevents the hobbed bolt from pushing smoothly, thereby chewing or binding the filament.

14. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Thats what that problem is! Ive been trying to figure that out for weeks!

15. Billm

Billm Member

I suspected that, but with the auto leveling working just before the print, how do you fix it?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Increase your Z offset

17. Billm

Billm Member

With repitier host all prints went to center of glass. With matter control it prints to the front. How do you tell MC where on the bed to print? Also when it goes through G29 it shows in the terminal view Z numbers in the range of .87 to 1.02 for the 9 points. Does that mean I should set Z to .8 or 1.02?

18. Billm

Billm Member

I installed the ABLC per Mikes instructions. I now want to install the new E3Dv6 I just got. What if any do I have to change? I also got the new thermistor that screws into the side of the head. How do I calibrate the new thermistor?

19. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Billm, do a quick search. This has been answered dozens of times;). You need to change two #defines in configuration.h, one for the thermistor type (see E3D website) and one for the max temperature. Also search for the PID calibration procedure for the thermistor (here or other forums). I did it but it is probably not needed.

20. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Hello Mike,

I yet I did not performed the upgrade as I will do it together with the replacement of my broken hot end.

Anyway, what I see now behind the entire logic - please correct me if I´m wrong -

1. The use of two switches is with regard to the general function is not necessary
    One switch either left hand, right hand would do the same job at the same accuracy
    Two switches needed to provide redundancy. But redundancy only given if switches are wired in series as you suggested.

2. The adjustent of the two switches/switching point to each other is absolut irrelevant and not really necessary - even if it varies by 1-2 mm.
    This because the digital offset values of either switch 1 or switch 2 (the first who always activates) will be determined/messures in the final procedure (Paper sheet, GAP, etc.) and values entered into the custom G-Code part for Auto Level.
    As both switches in parallel or series are connected

The switch which "always" activates/trigger the print bed offset measurement will be either switch 1 "or" switch 2 depending to its mechanically closer position. The other switch in series (which would trigger later) is just the backup switch.

Taking above into consideration - also for easyness, both switches can be installed at the same site - mechanically in parallel, electronically better in series:) ....?

Best regards,

Matthias

#60 lemuba, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014