1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D printed case for Filastruder

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JDM_, Jun 12, 2013.

1. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I was wondering if a 3D printed case for Filastruder was possible. I know there will be some heat build up inside the case but I was thinking about designing it with either a lot of holes/vents or maybe aluminum foil radiant barrier/heat shield inside or even both. It could be printed in a series of sections/slices that click together to form a complete case.

What do you guys think? Is this a project worth pursuing?

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I was thinking about it before, and I think It would be possible, but it might be a lot of sections. They will be releasing the finale design for the case once they start shipping them, so it might be easier to modify that to work with a 3d printer.

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I was thinking about something completely different looking than the factory Filastruder case.
    instead of a box shape more of a arch or moulded look.... a series of 1 piece slices...

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are clever enough you could reshape the hopper cup to match the contour of the arch. Create the design using modular pieces that way you can use smaller piece that are interchangeable and somehow interlock so you don't have to design a lot of different ones.

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Yes this is the what I was thinking.... I am going to need the final dimensions of the internals and base.... and where the hopper goes...

Is it possible to design this in one piece then slice it up?

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I actually just went through something like that I have a project I am working on that had one piece that was 19" long and I managed to do it.

This process does come with some caveats and issues.

I was lucky enough to find locations where it could be done successfully. What I had to was actually make copies of the original and the cut away the parts not needed in one drawing and then different sections were cut away in the other drawings as well so I end up with several drawing with only the piece I need sort of like a puzzle then I have to "weld them together" using acetone I was building ABS so it would work well that is one of the tricky parts. I am using solidworks and it has this nice cut feature but it also uses a tree structure for the construction of the drawing in the first place so in effect you have to build the entire thing then chop part of it out. it won't affect the outcome which is to generate an STL of just what you want but the drawing file remains HUGE even if you have just a simple small little piece you are going to actually print.

Other software will probably have similar function for cutting out sections.

The biggest thing I can think though is the welding part to get them to come together in a single structurally sound part better to actually design it in pieces that can some how be attached to each other maybe like puzzle pieces in a jigsaw or maybe a third part those two can both attach two like the wooden beam across the two doors of the main gate in all of those old movies LOL

Actual ABS welding is not physical but chemical so it is not a medium that holds too pieces together it actually melts them into a single piece so you need to have a simple connection point and you probably only get a single shot at getting it perfect.