1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

filament extruder a la jeff

Discussion in 'Projects' started by tesseract, Jun 11, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey JDM Check out the new thread shredder a la Jeff moved it there as I want to keep this one on the filament extruder

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I am gonna keep that link if mine blows up completely

roughly as far as cost this is what I am looking at
    motor shipping 80
    pid 30
    heater 22
    misc parts 50
    printed part ???
    ===============
    182 +???

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

More parts came in guys check out the pics above

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

dang it jeff, I went ahead and started collecting parts for a filament extruder also.. where did you get your motor from?

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I have not picked up that part yet that. I was having some issues with the shaft size I have several that I am looking at, it gets very confusing as to torque and speed so it is a slow process. I have been talking with the guy who put together the second extruder above and he was not happy with the motor he chose, so I became concerned, he had an extremely SLOW extrusion rate. Then last night I thought about it and this is what I came up with.

The motor is the only real unknown and the most expensive about $80 everything else should work. But does it? I don't know, but I can simulate the motor for now with a power drill and put everything else together. The drill would also have a variable speed built right in. Of course this is all temporary. IF that all works the way I expect it to I can add the motor in last and in the mean time still have a working extruder. So that is my new plan or I should say my revised plan.

I have to order my PID which is about $30 so when that gets here I can start prototyping a working assembly.

But to answer your question if I can here is the link to the motors I currently have under scrutiny.

http://www.stepperonline.com/gear-101-spur-gearbox-for-high-torque-nema-23-stepper-motor-p-116.html
    http://www.stepperonline.com/gear-201-spur-gearbox-for-high-torque-nema-23-stepper-motor-p-117.html

Again I am not sure of how either should work with regard to overall extrusion rate so......

7. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

It seems to me that if you have enough torque in a motor, you can always gear it to go faster without too much hassle. If 1.8 rpm is a bit slow, and you are using the same size auger, then 3 rpm might be a better goal. Or build a bigger auger setup at the same speed (can the heater handle a faster rate?). Or add some voltage (within reason, of course) to make it spin a bit faster.
    As for the variable speed drill idea, I'm not so sure you can fix/hold the speed accurately enough to learn what you need to learn. How about using a side mount hopper on a vertical extruder running below a tabletop drill press geared for very low rpms? That way you can let gravity "guide" the filament...
    Hmmm... Jeff, why have you got me thinking about this thing? I have enough projects! But I'm thinking a vertical extruder would be more mechanically efficient.
    Oh well. If you build it, we will come...
    Dean

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The problem actually occurs with two aspects from what I have heard there is the speed AND the torque from what I understand a simple gravity feed would not work as there is not enough pressure to actually extrude you may get a drip if you get the material molten enough, but to extrude you need pressure and when the speed changes so does the torque.

The drill idea was mainly to get me actually operating while I determined the best motor

Like projects have you seen my idea for the shredder a la Jeff under projects (conceptual at this point) I did get some dowels pins so almost conceptual...

9. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i thought about using a stepper motor also, I have plenty of nema 17 lying around but I was not finding an inexpensive solution to to drive it. Stepper motors require a stepper driver circuit and a pulse generator to function without a computer. The most inexpensive combo I located was around $50
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111095153326?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/271108609396?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

so I decided to go with regular dc geared motor. I found two possibilities one from robot marketplace http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/AME-214-1001.html and the other from skycraft surplus http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/6-24vdcgearheadmotorwheel.aspx

speed of these can be controlled with a simple dc motor speed control which is fairly inexpensive.

not sure what is required for rpm though? either one of these will give me around 45 to 50 rpms...

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

In the instructions they had for the cleaner extruder the guy mentioned using a rugged motor controller that was an add-on to an arduino board so if you have an Arduino UNO board The extra board was 25 bucks

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That was my plan anyway

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Got the heat shield plastic in today and actually started cutting it down and for got to take pics so the cut pieces are shown above and then as part of the assembly. Check it out above

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

hey jeff, is it me or does your auger have a large gap around it when inserted into the metal tubes, I was under the impression that the gap should be minimal.....

Attached Files:

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine also has a gap bigger than I was hoping for. Two thing I noted during my little process of putting it together and taking it apart for pics and such is that when it leaves the first pipe going into the flange where the heat shield goes there is also a vary large gap just because of the way the bottom of the flange is concave where the threads are going into the heat shield and then back into the other flange another gap. in fact anywhere the metal screws into another piece there is a gap as well. The coupler has it also so hopefully these gaps will still allow it to work gaps.jpg
    The blue area is where I see gaps the lightly shaded are on the right has the potential of being molten if not definitely warmed and the brighter yellow is highly probably molten and as you can see the are gaps throughout what this means I am not sure but they are working devices using the same material with the similar gaps especially around the flange areas so I can only hope.
    Also in your second image notice the thickness of that "pipe" that was definitely machined so the gap would probably be taken out in that case.

15. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I think the filastruder is probably one of the best designs to follow, it's had a lot of refining to get it down to minimal parts, most the other ones are "Well it works, Post it on the internet".

Check out this thread http://www.soliforum.com/topic/557/filament-extruder-convert-pellets-to-filament/ you can see what it started as, and the kickstarter is where it is now (it's still changing some what)

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I don't think the Lyman extruder falls into that category and this one is based on the same components the gaps I show in my image may be less depending on the nuances of the auger but the flange part is identical and it has been duplicated several times and is completely successful. My concept was to reduce any machined parts to other sources or ideas but these specific pieces were not changed so I still have hope for mine.

17. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Im new to the arduino world but i'm Not sure you would need a arduino UNO. Might be able to get away with. An arduino micro or mini. They are only like $10.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it probably could I have no idea I am new to arduino than you didn't even know about the arduino mico or mini the link he gave did however show an arduino uno and this board was stacked on top I can get you the link if you want.

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

getting things put together check out the new pics just under the starting post

20. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Looking great, Jeff! I like your idea for the tip but drilling it must have been a bit of a pain. I'm looking forward to the finished product!
    Dean