1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello from the UK!

Discussion in 'England' started by Sye, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Which PLA Colour is your favourite?

1. White

20.0%
  2. Orange

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blue

40.0%
  4. Black

13.3%
  5. Green

6.7%
  6. Others

20.0%
  1. Sye

Sye New Member

Still not working :(

Repetier loses communications and starts to queue commands!?!?

Can I rest the whole thing? Can/Should I reload the firmware/code to the Arduino?

Any ideas?

2. Sye

Sye New Member

Ok, I have reloaded the code into the arduino board and regained control a little....

I still have the hot end problem so decided to replace it with the E3D one :)

When I start work I was surprised to find a whole bundle of cabling melted!!

This occurs after the place where the hot end cables leave the black sleeving and are joined to 'normal' cable due to the length required.

This really ferks me off as the blooming thing has yet to be used!!!

Even with the hot end problem it has never been powered up for more than 5 minutes!!!

Fingers crossed that when I connect this new end it works BUT I can envisage having to re-wire this brand new item :(

Attached Files:

3. Sye

Sye New Member

Ok, The cable from the mega to the point it is jointed in the loom is melted :(

I have fitted the new hot end which has heat resistant cable long enough to connect :)

BUT, my problem remains!!!! As soon as power is applied to the printer the hot end turns on, repitier has no control over it!

How can this be happening? Please anyone?

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you must be wired wrong did you connect the new heater element to the same to lead as the original heating element if so it should be controlled by the boards there is another set of wires for the fan that is supposed to come on and stay on while the printer is on to make absolutely sure the hot end remains cool. that needs to be a new wire going straight to the PSU . Make sure your wiring is correct

new therm wiring to existing therm wiring going to board
    new heater wiring to existing heater wiring going to board
    new cool end fan wiring to PSU

5. Sye

Sye New Member

Hiya, yes all done like that...

Hot end is wired to D10... But as I said before stays ON when the printer is powered up. I have connected repetier before powering up and the temp shows around room temp just like the heated bed.. But as soon as power is applied to the printer the hot end starts to heat and keeps going!! Repetier has no control over it.. Mega wiring shown below..

Can a Mega board have a stuck relay??

By the way I had to remove the originally fitted workpiece fan and bracket as the new hot end has large diameter cooling fins. At least filament comes through it easily :)

Attached Files:

6. Sye

Sye New Member

Picture if some of the removed original hot end wiring....

Surely this should not have happened???

Attached Files:

7. Sye

Sye New Member

Hiya Tesseract, I have replaced the RAMPS board and now my hot end seems under control.... Except!

When i heat up the hot end, the heated bed temperature heats up at the same rate (even though it is off), obviously a sensor error... As the bed on its own heats up cortrectly and shows its correct temp. But not while the hot end is on of course!

So, I disconnected the heated bed sensor and set the hot end to 190... BUT, it reached 170 then went off!?!?!?!? and stopped responding to the Repetier software :s

I am soo lost with this thing which is yet to be used! The wiring loom did melt with my previous problem but do i now have to re-wire the whole thing??

8. Sye

Sye New Member

Repetier reports the heat bed max temp has been reached which is why the hot end stop heating up. But why does the heatewd bed say it is hot WHEN IT IS NOT EVEN CONNECTED?

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

something is send a max temp to the ramps board when the circuitry on a thermistor reads a short it gives very high temp thus the max temp gets triggered

10. Sye

Sye New Member

Hiya, I understand BUT, the heatbed temperature rises with the hot end temperature.... slowly and steadily until the heatbed max temp is triggered..

So it seems like the heatbed sensor is getting the reading from the hot end sensor...

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I would recheck the cables and make sure nothing melted together by chance I have seen melted cables arrive as well

12. Sye

Sye New Member

Will do. cheers

13. Sye

Sye New Member

Hiya, Just thought I had better summerise where I am :)

Robo Sent me a new Ardunio & RAMPS board which I changed.... I removed the old melted part of the wiring loom (luckily the worst part was the previous hot end wires), I had already ordered a E3D hot end and have fitted that with the new cables :)

Now my printer works!! Wooooohoooooo! EXCEPT! it does seem a nightmare to level the bed!!

From front to back it seems out and certainly from left to right it is! The limit switch operates at a different height (in terms of the hot end nozzle) at the left side and right side

I have printed a couple of small items, about 3cm area. If the first layers stick it runs fine... I have been using PLA with Kapton tape AND heated the bed to 60 degrees.......

I really want to use ABS though, as i have 72 rolls! lol!

Has anyone used the 'gecko'? bed? used with makerbots and UP 3D printers? Would it be worthwhile?

I ahve seen Tess's Bed levelling design and plan to try it as it makes common sense in the way it is designed :)

14. Sye

Sye New Member

aaaaargh! So I finally got the machine working!! But alas only with items about 5x5cm square.... Even then when I tried a block shape the printer got to about 2.5cm high then the whole thing software wise locked up :s
    Repetier on windows XP does not seem that stable (*or is it the Arduino?)

Anyway, my latest problem is the X axis stepper motor whcih seems to be jamming? It rapidly staggerers back and forthmaking a horid noise. I un-fastened the drive belt to check it was not the carriage jamming etc and the motor does exactly the same thing.........

BTW, anyone seen the build kit RS components are selling? £499 with a IR levelling bed!!!

15. Chrisinnewark

Chrisinnewark Member

I received my printer the other day and have only just started to play with it (work got in the way). It's good to see that there are fellow UK based 3D printers on here as I think I may well be asking for help and advice in the very near future.

16. pedrosgali

pedrosgali New Member

Hey guys, just ordered my printer!

Now for the 4-6 week wait...

17. Matt Farmer

Matt Farmer New Member

Anyone one in UK want to buy an original KickStarter ABS and PLA R1 ?

It has a warped heatbed and the Y control system is piss-poor - it does print nicely on the front 1/3 of the heatbed.....

I've had an open order for the Linear motion Y, heatbed and Bed levelling kit since June - which was to be delivered to my US workplace, but as I no longer work for that company I doubt I will ever get the replacement parts.

I've emailed the Robo folks several times but have had no response, I cant afford a non-working printer. The Wanhao Duplicator 4X I bought at the same time as the Robo3d hasn't had a single day off and is working perfectly so will be buying a another.

So anyone who wants a Robo3d R1 - please contact me.

18. Sye

Sye New Member

Hiya, Does anyone want to buy my Kickstarter ABS and PLA R1? :)

Bought it and found the wiring loom had melted into one single lump of cabling :s

Soooo replaced that; replaced the HEAD for a E3D unit, printed 6 small pieces!! (due to bed being a nightmare to level); Arduino board fried itself, USA sent me another!; Fitted it and one of the stepper motors now stutters like a bitch :(

I have a spare but do not have the heart to continue with this; I really lack the patience. I think the origional 3 month wait for it used up all my patience :(

So If anyone wants it or Matt's, let us know! :)

19. melanie404

melanie404 New Member

Hello mate, nice to meet you !

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just noticed this post. That sounds like a bad (or really, just mis-adjusted) stepper driver board for that stepper.

Calibration steps are here:

https://bootsindustries.com/portfolio-item/pots-adjustments/

That will help get the driver working.