1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heated build chamber

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by BjG, Feb 23, 2013.

1. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

This is the basic concept that I'm working on... It's approx 30"x30" and made of .5" MDF wood so it can be painted. This is not a final just v1.0.
    Image 4-5-13 at 6.28 PM.jpg

It will have:
    -Circulating air
    -Automatic Temp Control
    -Viki Mount
    -Plexiglass front window
    -Hinge in the middle of top so it will open while allowing it to be against the wall.
    -vent to outside to reduce fumes in work area.

What do you guys think?

2. vertigodragon

vertigodragon New Member

@Printed Solid: STL file format only contains information that describes the surface of the object, so by definition STL are not solids. afaik featureworks will not work with STL for feature recognition but for STEP/IGES which are solids, it works fine.

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

yeah, .stl files aren't the best for our use, it would be nice to get the proper CAD files. We also still don't know how far the bed comes out from the case.

4. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Team RoBo says to give 30" total for the y axis. They said the bed almost moves entirely out from front to back. And since the bed is 10" that makes for 30 inches.

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Because the printer has to be 10" away from the wall I don't see how it is a desktop printer. It looks pretty but I don't see anyone putting this on their desk because of the print bed movement... My next printer's print bed will only move in the Z axis because of this.

It also makes it easier to enclose if the bed doesn't move.

6. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

You could put it side ways, then it could be right against the wall :p Just not in a corner.

7. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

That is the advantage of printers like the EventorBot. The bed moves sideways.

8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

@Jeff- It only means that solid works doesn't import stls in a format that allows you to actually edit them. You can still view them and they are still perfectly OK files. Your Tangle should be printable. I'll make some and let my 3 year old test them for you. They will be pink.:D

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Kinda excited to see something hope it works they normally run about 18 segments in one toy and they just form it into a loop probably about 12 square inches in the loop.
    Can't wait

10. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Exactly. Although its kind of baffling to me that converting an STL to a solid is really so challenging that nobody seems to have come up with a good solution to do it. Maybe it would make a nice masters (or even PhD if its THAT complex) thesis for a math or computer science student.

Maybe some of the FEA programs can to it?

11. Henry

Henry New Member

Going the enclosure way too.. Two reasons.. heat control and humidity control... more to follow.. found a encase structure.

12. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Let us know what you've found Henry... I'm also going to have humidity issues here in Florida so I'm very interested in seeing everyones ideas on this.

13. Henry

Henry New Member

it will be better to build one... gathering parts up... got a exhaust fan that turns on with the temp exceeds 86 degrees, will get a spring loaded exhaust vent to close when fan isn't operating, getting a humidity gauge... designing the case will take a while and build time to accomplish..... due time

14. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Henry, are you talking 86F or C? ABS does really well at high temps like 70-80C. You reduce warpage etc. So you may want to skip out on the exhaust fan. PLA you probably don't want in an enclosure at all.

15. Henry

Henry New Member

I'm providing the heat box chamber..(still need to build sides, top, door, routing for electrical) . Also include was my concept of a filament dispenser.. Will work on another idea for the heat box chamber...

Attached Files:

16. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

that's a heavy duty build chamber you got there

17. Peter

Peter Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventive_step_and_non-obviousness

As an Industrial designer with 10 yrs experience and my name on at least 10 patents as co-inventor (which i detest) I can say that the patent system is run by, and for, SATAN as a massive money pit.

2 people like this.
  18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

you can make can your own heated chamber to hearts content. You just cant sell it. There is nothing stopping you from making your own.

19. BjG

BjG Member

You sir ... just made my day

20. Henry

Henry New Member

in the works..

Attached Files:

• 0002.jpg
      0002.jpg
      File size:
      213.6 KB
      Views: