1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify3d rocks the supports

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by robert sanchez, Oct 25, 2014.

1. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

So for everyone who thumbed up'd simplify3d. Thank you. It rocks when it comes to breakaway supports. Also the finish rocks! I had to build some functional parts that needed lots of random support and I was able to break it all away with tweezers.

Thank you

4 people like this.
  2. robert sanchez

Rocking the simplify3d.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  3. robert sanchez

Also side note, their customer support guy seems to check his emails on a regular basis, as in 4hrs or less. Even on a Saturday.

4. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Whats simplify3d ?
    Support material ? How can you print support material on ROBO ?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2 people like this.
  6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

No you didnt. You had support and plenty of it. Or was that someone else ?
    I see absolutely nothing hard about printing a ball in such way.
    Ball is not that hard to print, hardest is to print 90 degree overhang.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There was nothing in the model other than the ball -- well above the Z zero..
    Everything else was auto-generated by Simplify (and I agree, when it printed it had plenty of support, I did nothing to make that happen).

I have since printed a lot of things (real ones) that needed support. Always generates fine.

The point of that print was to test :
    a) that support material was generated
    b) that is worked
    c) that it removed correctly

All were true.

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I see, its a software.
    I hate the way it generates support, similar to craftware. That kind of support hardly stands a change to stick to the bed without falling off.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As an aside, that exact same print would not work correctly in Slic3r or Cura.
    Sure, practically speaking the ball could have been re-arranged and printed fine, but the point was to forcibly test supports.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PS. never had an issue since going to Simplify, the supports (even thin ones like that) stick the bed, but not the model.

11. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Depends on your bed.
    Do you print on cold bed blue tape #2090 ?
    It makes up for eazy removal.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Normally I did, now I am using the glass directly.

13. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Just watched in depth review on youtube about simplify.
    List of tweaks reminds me of slic3r that can get you thrown off and produce ugly results, which was exactly why i switched to CURA for its simplicity.
    Craftware is much more friendly with the viewport and just as awesome. And its settings are as simple as CURA's with few extra tweaks available.
    Fewer options with similar performance and viewport features for free or more options for $140 with no demo trial of any kind ?
    I say stick to CraftWare.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Whatever works for ya'

Edit: what I mean is that is sounds like you found enough data to make up your mind about it and have nothing you need from it. I heartily agree that a demo/trial version would be really sweet (think I said that before).

We had a number of issues with more complex models that ended up pushing us that way. Never had a slicer related problem since. Had a few model related ones that even the various 'problem' finder/fixers (including the ones in Simplify) couldn't find/flag or help. Support did :)

#14 mark tomlinson, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  15. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I love the supports on Simplify3D as well. In my opinion, it makes the $140 worth it since they improve the quality of the print quite a bit and are SUPER easy to remove in any circumstance I've thrown at it. Just this morning I woke up and immediately started pulling away the support from a figurine that was roughly 1"x1"x1", with very small spaces in between the base and the figurine. Even here, with the help of an exactoblade since my fingers were too fat, I was able to pull all the support out with VERY little effort. I also love how the support seems to connect to itself and not to the print. I printed off a faceplate for my Smart LCD Controller XXL yesterday and there were some little nooks and crannies where the support didn't come off with the rest of the support. As long as I was able to get one of the sides loose, I was able to work it up to where I could grab it and pull the rest out like a loose string.

Of course, support material doesn't make up for a poorly calibrated machine, and I'll still need to do quite a bit of work on that front to get results like I imagine @mark tomlinson gets.

4 people like this.
  16. alonsoa

alonsoa New Member

Hey guys, for some reason I can't get the custom start g-code to work for the audo bed leveling on Simplify 3D. The extruder for some reason heats up and then the temperature drops after getting to the desired temperature. This was never an issue when I used repetier. Brand new to Simplify3d btw.

17. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

This kind of sounds like an issue I was having a while back. Check to make sure that your profile settings for the temperature are the settings you desire. I was having an issue where Simplify 3D was set to 190C, but my Smart Controller XXL was set to 210C, so it wasn't extruding, or even trying to.