1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Got Simplify3D

Discussion in 'Software' started by cosber, Oct 4, 2014.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

That's something I've been meaning to do for a while, but that kept slipping my mind any time I was near my printer. My belts are pretty loose. Time to look into how to tighten them. Thanks for the tip! :)

2. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Just caved and decided to throw Simplify 3D on the credit card since I paid all my bills early this month. So far the software is awesome, as I expected. However, when it comes to actually printing, I can't get it to work. The printer loads the gcode, and everything seems to move just fine with the exception of the hobbed bolt. The gears aren't spinning at all. I'm guessing this is just a setting I need to configure, but I'm not really sure where it is. Any ideas?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Weird. First off, ping their support email. Even if you figure it out you might as well get something started (in case you don't).
    Do you see anything amiss under the machine control panel -- the communications tab (when it is trying to run)?

What are your settings under General Options -> Machine?
    Under General Settings -> Model do you have Z axis is vertical selected?

4. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I have the wrong Toolhead selected. It selected Toolhead 0 (Right Extruder) by default. It might be trying to move an extruder that's not there. I'll hook it up to my laptop in a second and see if changing that does anything.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure the Firmware machine type is RepRap/Marlin
    Tool head 0 (right extruder) is the same one I use.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Attached is my process.fff it might help for comparison.
    (rename it from txt to fff)

Attached Files:

7. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

It is working when I have it directly plugged into my computer. Once this print is done, I'll export gcode again and see if that works. When I plugged my computer in the first time, it worked, but the nozzle was WAY too close to the bed. Found some gcode that enabled auto leveling and now it's printing like a champ. :)

EDIT: Sent that message from my phone and was feeling too lazy to type out the gcode I found.

G28; home X,Y,Z axis
    G1 Z5 F5000; will lift Z axis by 5 mm
    M565 Z-1; sets the offset for the auto-leveling mechanism by 1 mm
    G29; runs auto-level

Putting that in the start gcode of my process made it do the 9 point check and start printing correctly.

EDIT: Checked our processes against each others and while I didn't see anything too huge, it did get me thinking about some of the variables in there that I could tweak to improve. I think it must have just been some sort of glitch, because I didn't really change anything significant, but now it's working. I'd definitely recommend adding in the gcode if you've got an autoleveling printer. It seems to work really well for me.

#27 bamhm182, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I will eventually have the @Mike Kelly auto-level upgrade installed, but at present it is all manual.

Which as an aside, I got reminded how much of a PITA that was when I decided to test the WolfBite w/ABS and ripped of the blue tape.
    Good thing this doesn't happen very often :)

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I tested mine printing via the SD Card as well. In the Machine Control panel you can do the export to SD card and start print from SD card.
    Only thing is if you want to be able to disconnect the computer, don't do anything other than connect/export/start print from SD card or it will kill the printer when you disconnect. If you do it correct it will happily keep printing along w/o the computer attached.

10. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

How do you manually level it? Just take measurements at different spots and move the threaded rod until it's consistant?

For some reason, before I got my Smart LCD Controller XXL yesterday, my RoBo 3D kept running into issues with printing from an SD. I didn't do extensive testing though, so it was probably something simple I was messing up. Now that I've got it, I don't really plan on running it from my computer anymore, just slicing it in Simplify3D and having my Smart Controller XXL print it. That setup seems to be doing an amazing job so far.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think there are a raft of threads on this from the pre-R1 days. It is not rocket-science, but it can be a PITA.
    It was fine until I decided to ditch the blue tape, but once done it is done again. Since it is all mechanical it doesn't change unless you mess with something.

12. cosber

cosber Active Member

No expert, but I think the reason Mattercontrol didn't print supports is because it doesn't need them. I don't think the arms are sticking out that much to need them. If the pieces were larger, maybe, but at that size, there isn't that much overhang. Do you have the extruder fan running? You're off to a good start, just getting it a week ago. You'll get it dialed in soon and when you look back at these prints, you'll know it was worth it.

#32 cosber, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  13. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I don't know whether it needed them or not. It sure seems like it did though. Simplify3D is printing the bulbasaur evolutionary chain with support material as I'm writing this, so we'll see how that turns out.

14. cosber

cosber Active Member

I'm at the 26 hour mark of a 36+ hour print of the Terminator head. I used MatterControl because I got the first layer dialed in and haven't been able to get Simplify to print right yet. The print is completely surrounded by supports even though I don't think it's necessary. In a You-Tube video of a guy who printed the head with Simplify, he used its support feature to do just the jaw. I don't know why MatterControl decided to surround the head with supports, but I'm going to have a lot of work cleaning it up. One of these days I'm going to devote the entire day figuring out Simplify.

15. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

It's pretty awesome software and it isn't THAT difficult to use. Definitely worth figuring out.

16. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Ended up falling asleep before the print finished. Adding the support material helped a LOT. I don't have any pictures to upload right now, but the support that Simplify3D added helped a lot.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have said it before, but it bears repeating...
    Starting with MatterControl, Reptier host, Cura are all good ideas. They are free and each has certain advantages.
    As you outgrow them move up (I think MC has the lowest level for entry). Don't spend money on the software if the free stuff works for you.

We went down this route. We spent the longest working with Repetier (at the time MC was too crash-prone and Cura still fairly new).

Eventually we got to where supports were just mandatory. None of the above were generating usable support material (Cura was absolutely the worst at that time).

Edit: PS. Use the right tool for the job as well, don't use the printing tool for modeling :) Use something real for modeling and editing models. We like SolidWorks, but Blender is good for certain types of models.

2 people like this.
  18. cosber

cosber Active Member

As we progress in our abilities to create successful prints, it's only natural that we would outgrow software like Mattercontrol. A lot of nubbies expected the printer to be plug n play. I feel like I've reached that point pretty much with MatterControl but as my expertise grows so does my desire to get to the next level. The Terminator head I just printed in Mattercontrol was buried in supports that I feel were unnecessary. It's going to take a lot of effort to remove them. With Simplify, I would be able to control the supports. That alone is reason enough to switch.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes you get total control -- but -- even on ones that I did nothing other than accept defaults, they were quite easy to remove.
    The one exception was the T-Rex shower head I printed for a friend, they came away easy enough, but were buried in awkward to reach spots.

20. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Mark, can you send me you current S3D fff file please. I'm still struggling with some finish quality issues with S3D. I love the supports but other than that I'm feeling much better quality with Slic3r.