1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Update 3/14/14

Discussion in 'Official Documentation' started by Coby Robo 3D, Mar 14, 2014.

1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Ignore the Marlin_LCD filename mentioned. Just unzip everything from the first post here to a convenient location. After you have the Arduino software installed just open Marlin.ino by double clicking on it. It may ask if you want to create a sketch folder named marlin, just say OK. Then follow the FAQ ...select the tools/board/Arduino Mega 2560, and click on the upload arrow. You should be all set if I didn't forget a step.

2. Glenn Holt

Glenn Holt New Member

Is the MatterControl firmware for Robo3D a variant of this firmware? Would there be any potential problems flashing the MC firmware and then using RH or some other software?

3. Mrimstad

Mrimstad New Member

Just uppdated my r1 with mc, no autolevel as far as im aware on this modell.
    Old bed rail system. After the uppdate it probes bed and starts the print mid air.
    In other words not working!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you update it manually or using mattercontrol?
    I am using this version with out auto
    Levelling. MC may default to the one with auto level... Or MC itself may just assume auto level. Don't use it myself (certainly not recently either) .

5. Mrimstad

Mrimstad New Member

uppdated it with mc.
    Have no experience with arduino at all but i will try. The first post firmware is the one your thinking about yeah?

6. Mrimstad

Mrimstad New Member

is there anything utherly important i need to change anywhere in the arduino files?
    Completely stock robo r1

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Mrimstad try this one

Note: This is for auto-level owners only. If your Z-stop works by pressing a screw into a switch, do not use this firmware.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nothing to change if you are all stock...this is the stock firmware

9. Mrimstad

Mrimstad New Member

That, was preaty simple.
    Sadly enough prints dont seem to be of the same quality with this new firmware.
    *Edit* Actualy it is strugling to put out anything descent :\

10. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Yeah , I am not that impressed also. I make phone holders that fit with no wiggle room.
    when I print with the original firmware the phones fit perfectly. I updated to the new firmware and now the holders are too tight , it is less then 1 mm difference but there is definitely a change .

any idea what parameters might have changed?

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

depending on what version you have been palying with their is a steps per mm that could have changed and would affect something just like you are seeing. Look in both sets of firmware you have in teh configuration.h file towards the bottom you should see something like this

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80.69,80.69,2269.472,165.000}

note the first two values in both files they are the x and y steps per mm
    the third is for Z and the last is for the extruder

If they are the same in both .h files then this is not the issue but if they are different you COULD change them to the version that worked better for you and see if it helps just remember what they were so you can change them back if it does not help.

You may also want to print a calibration cube and see how it measures it should be 15mm on each side and vertically as well try it with both sets of numbers and see which comes out closer to the fifteen if it matches up with the print that fits better then that was the answer if it doesn't it could be the design itself may be off.

12. leeboy4130

leeboy4130 New Member

So I installed the above firmware posted by Mike Kelly on June 7th titled Auto_Level_5_29 on my new ROBO 3D R1 with auto-level. Now my z-axis seems to be scaled down. As shown in the picture, the two "Makey" robots on the right have shrunk after the firmware update. I also slowed down the printing speeds in the Matter Control software. X and Y seem to be fine. I read the above post about steps per mm, but I don't have the original firmware to compare settings to. My firmware originally said V1, now it says V2. Is the V4 firmware update I read about still not compatible with new R1 printers equipped with auto-level?

Also, the folder I downloaded from above contained the Auto_Level_5_29 file (that I loaded) as well as a file titled Marlin. What is the Marlin file?

Attached Files:

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think that is the more generic project. You want the one you used I imagine.

14. Yanez

Yanez Member

This was before the update and after the update. Not sure if this is what has anything to do with your shrinking problem: but yeah. [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

I had a similar experience to @Ziggy.
    I flashed the Auto_Level_6_10 firmware after installing my clone RepRapDiscount Smart Controller (I have the $16 SainSmart version from Amazon). This was my first time flashing the firmware, so I followed the Melody FAQ instructions and attempted to make the changes to Configuration.h as described above, but forgot to save it after the changes, and proceeded to flash. I didn't realize it at first, because the LCD worked with no changes to Configuration.h. After realizing my error, I saved the file and reflashed but the LCD didn't work. I don't know why I'm posting this except to share my experience for any other users with a knock-off LCD and using the same Auto_Level_6_10 firmware. It does work out of the box so to speak.

Now, I don't know how the kill button is supposed to work, but it does kill the print. However, it freezes the LCD and I have to unplug and power cycle the printer for it to start working again. Any ideas if it's the KILL_PIN as described by @Ziggy? Again, I'm also using a knock-off/clone.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think I need to nuke these threads. They just have been causing issues

17. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

There's some good info scattered throughout the thread. Maybe consolidating the good info into a new thread and nuking this one, but I don't know who had both the time and knowledge to consolidate the info.

I'm still running the 3/14/14 firmware with some tweaks on the beta model. If it ain't broke and all that.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like the temp fall catch they added in the 5_29 firmware. They also tweaked some of the speed values for 6_16

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

+1

20. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. I'll have to get those firmwares and diff them with what I have currently.

FYI. If anyone's looking for a diff tool to compare firmwares WinMerge is good and free. Notepad++ is an excellent editor if you don't want to edit the firmware using the Arduino interface.