1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 Information, Installation Guides, and Review

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yea you can. The Robo3d with the brass J-head come with a semitec thermistor which fits fine in the v6.

I've ruined at least 3 semitecs so far. Things are super brittle. the Epcos tend to be more resilient but are 2-3 times as bulky.

2. danjomite

danjomite New Member

OK thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your help. I'm gonna pull a Columbo and ask a few more questions though:

- I had uploaded the new firmware you suggested in the first post. Do I need to modify it back so that it is compatible with the original thermistor?

- The 12v port for the hotend fan you suggested isn't putting out any voltage. Can I activate it in the firmware or should I just use the direct line from the power supply?

Sorry for the silly questions, and thanks again.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1) No the semitec used in the original is the same table as the E3D. The Hexagon uses an Epcos thermistor which is a different table but would still work just fine, maybe 1-2 degrees different. The original robo didn't use the right table afaik, so using this one will work better.

2) It's a direct 12v line, non-switched. How do you know it's not putting out voltage? Did you measure it with a multimeter? You need to make sure the polarity is correct for the fan port. You can kinda see but the black is closest in the picture

4. danjomite

danjomite New Member

I'm sorry, I was just colossally idiotic. Switched the fan & thermistor around and uh... it works :S

5. Jose Zouain

Jose Zouain New Member

Hi
    I am ordering an E3D V6 for my ROBO 3d, original from Kickstarter a year ago, and is asking me the Direct or the Bowden, don't which one to order, can some one help decide. Don't know the difference.
    Thanks

6. danjomite

danjomite New Member

You want to get the direct version. I believe the bowden version is for a different set up and would require more modifications to the printer's filament feed system.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah you want a direct or universal. the bowden would work fine but you'd get stuff you wouldn't need

8. ctoler93

ctoler93 New Member

I know this will probably sound extremely newbiesh but, I installed the hot end no problem, I just am having issues with the firmware, how do I upload it to the printer???

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Arduino IDE is the best way. Just load up the .ino of the same folder name and hit upload, ensuring you have the mega 2560 and correct com port selected. Pretty painless and there's no risk of damage due to onboard failsafes

10. Craig Parsons

Craig Parsons New Member

Hello, I have the same question as this guy
    "Stupid question but is the new parts fan holder somehow mandatory for mounting the E3Dv6? I recently ordered an E3Dv6 but yesterday my stock extruder (beta printer) died (probably the PTFE tube broke, now it's leaking between PTFE tube and heater block) so I can't print the new fan holder."

I won't be able to print out those parts either. My printer only ever worked once and I've still never figured out what was wrong with it. Is there an alternate way to get these fan holders?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can print the fan holder without a fan. Or just use zip ties to hold it in place.

12. Craig Parsons

Craig Parsons New Member

Thank you

13. ctoler93

ctoler93 New Member

Where can I buy a replacement thermister for the E3D V6? Preferably in the US

14. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've got a more robust replacement in stock here: http://www.printedsolid.com/shop/e3d/stud-thermistor/

I also do have a few thermistor packs with the bare thermistor, ferrules, fiber glass, etc. laying around, but I'd really steer you towards the stud thermistor as it is much more robust.

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

16. ctoler93

ctoler93 New Member

Any firmware changes required with the robust replacement?

Thank you Mark and Mike Kelly also for the help, I don't think I've said that. Sorry!

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The thermistor type may need to be changed in CONFIGURATION.H.
    @Printed Solid would probably know that.

18. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I have a robo with the Hexagon hotend. I was told the Hexagon puts out 30watts and the E3d puts out 40w.
    Because of this difference do I need to replace the existing wiring with new wire and if yes, what wire would you recommend.
    Also what is the volts and amps being pushed and used by these hotends.
    Is there a polyfuse and a mosfet that work with these hotends.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The heater for the hotend comes with new wiring. Run that directly back to the RAMPS board.

Same polyfuse and mosfet will be fine for the hotend, the ones on there are rated appropriately.

20. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Mark, still wondering about what the amps and volts are that are used for the e3d and the hexagon hotend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.