1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cutting up a project?

Discussion in 'Projects' started by k1e1v1i1n, Jan 12, 2015.

1. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Anyone have any luck with cutting up parts to make them easier to print.

I really hate chins right now on busts. I was wondering if cutting something in 1/2 front and back wouldn't make it very much easier to print. or do you guys think it wouldn't look good printed like that?

Basically so the back of the head and the front of the face are pointing up.

Really trying to use no support that's the goal.

2. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

If you print it that way, then the supports would not be visible if you did have to use them.

Sounds like a good plan.

3. cosber

cosber Active Member

I've cut a few things to get them to print and it was worth it, but no matter how careful you are lining it up and gluing, there is always a visible line where the cut is.

4. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

How did you cut them? is it something simple a noob can do or is it more involving?

5. cosber

cosber Active Member

I used Netfabb (the free version). It allows you to cut on X, Y or Z plane (1 at a time) so it's good for cutting pieces in half. It's simple after you play a little to see how it works. Use a copy every time you make a cut-there is only one "undo".