1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Galaxius' Printer

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Galaxius, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I note the book on the bed to protect it from falling foreign object damage during repairs ;)

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Me not silly ;) Don't want to drop a screw driver and chip the bed, my wife would not appreciate the resulting vocabulary lol.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

better safe than... something :)

4. Galaxius

Got my hotend leak all fixed the other day, steps and tips below.

Heated to 150C and removed the filament from the hotend, done at this cooler temp helps pull more of the filament out of the hotend. Then heated to 210C, cleaned of what filament I could with paper towel and tweezers, and used a small flat head screw driver to mostly remove the silicon sleeve since at room temperature it was stuck from leaked filament. Removed the hotend from the carriage and silicon sleeve from the heater block (leaving the heater cartridge in place since it was stuck by burnt filament), scraped all the burnt filament I could from the heater block and inside the silicon sleeve. Wiped the inside of the silicon sleeve with methylated spirits. Installed the hotend back into the x carriage (silicon sleeve just hanging from further up the heater cable), heated to 250C, tightened the heater block, tightened the nozzle, then using a brass bristle brush I cleaned the heater block and nozzle removing almost all the burnt on filament (whilst still heated to 250C). Let it cool and reinstalled the silicon sleeve. Done.

Please note the position of the heater cable, this way they're pulling on the heater block in a tightening direction. Previously I had them facing to the side which pulled on the heater block in a loosening direction, even thought it was ever so slightly I feel it was what ended up loosening the heater block after repeated heating and cooling cycles and vibrations from printing. I hope this helps prevent our recovery from this problem.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Galaxius
    I have a Robo R1 with an enclosed bottom and hexagon hot end. I'm printing your dual fan setup you show above, but I have problems with the brackets that attach the fans to the extruder chassi. I printed the backets but I don't see how they attach. Do you have close up pictures of how your dual fans attach to the extruder setup. Also how did you setup the wiring for the 2 fans and also what type of fans are you using and where did you get them.

6. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

They snap into the carriage you have to remove the stock fan mount that is held on by 2 screw's from the bottom. I am using two 40mm fans from a computer store. I cut the connector off the stock fan and attached my two new fans to that connected in parallel.

7. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

What cfm fans did you get k1e1v1i1n. I need to get one more, or replace the one I have with two.

8. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

9. Robert Choban

K1e1v1i1n the wed site above seems to only ship in Canada, anyone know of a USA store location where I can get a good deal on the same type of fan I believe they are 40x40x10mm fans.
    K1e1v1i1n do have a picture of how they fans snap in place,

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Frys will have them if you are lucky enough to have one near you.

11. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Attached Files:

12. Robert Choban

Thanks K1e1v1i1n, and having two fans makes a different when printing in PLA ???????

so you just splice the wires from both fans together and then a using the existing connector and plug it into the existing wiring that goes back to the
    ramps card.

13. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

You got it. I didn't have any shrink wrap so I just hotglued the wire ends till I can get some.

14. Robert Choban

Thanks for the extremely fast reply. Do you eat, sleep and work next to your printer????:)
    Why does 2 fan make a difference and why does robo only ship with one????

15. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Its in my bedroom and I'm laid off in search of a new daily grind ( school, work, or winning the lotto). and I did eat supper here lol .

16. Galaxius

Thanks @k1e1v1i1n.
    The brackets just clip into the x carriage, no screw removal required. The duct attaches to the bracket with a single M3x8mm bolt (before you attach the bracket to the x carriage and attach the fan). Wires for the 2 fans are spliced/soldered and heat shrinked together. My fans are from eBay, about $5 each, make sure you get 9 blade fans when buying from eBay for higher cfm (they don't generally show the cfm but they definitely flow more than a 5 blade). I don't think the brand matters for Chinese eBay fans.
    Pics of the duct to bracket attachment and of the fan.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Robert Choban

Thanks galaxius, the above pictures are just what I needed
    Why have 2 fans helped with PLA printing, what improvements in your printing have you seen?
    What improvements should I be looking for after I install them?

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 fans provides more even cooling than a single fan. Also more cooling power to help print PLA.

You'll see a better surface finish with 2 fans. It also helps with bridging and overhangs.

3 people like this.
  19. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Just make sure your not printing a large vase or anything too tall, these stick out and will hit the case toward the top.

20. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Ya as of right now I can only go up to 7.25 inches (185mm) tall.