1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Advice for a New Out of Box Robo3d R1

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Rasterize, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Hi all!
    Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I'm pulling the trigger on a Robo3D either today or tomorrow through Amazon.
    I have read through the threads as much as I can and have found a ton of great information. I'm sure I will spend many more hours here as well. ;) Beyond the basic "Getting Started Videos", I was wondering if I can ask what you, an experienced Robo3D user, would do to the machine right out of the box considering it's current state (whatever that might be) and what is available for upgrades in software and hardware.
    What's cool and what has benefited you?
    Thanks for your time in advance! :)
    Stephen

2. Dbeal

Dbeal Active Member

2 people like this.
  3. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I think you should play with it for a few days without changing anything so you have a baseline of how the changes you make impact your prints.

after that I would try Cura for software and then make some feet for the printer because the screws stick out from the bottom a bit and scratch up whatever you put the printer on.

then fan shrouds and oiler more lights.

3 people like this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd say the best mod right off the bat if you print PLA is a secondary cooling fan: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431160

Maybe buy some high flow fans. Though they will be loud.

I second the idea of tinkering with an oiler, but it shouldn't be necessary at first and might just confuse things: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:422671

Above all have a good method of print adhesion. Blue painters tape is the best I've come across. Hairspray is second. Gluestick is third.

Something like a printinz plate is a great alternative as well and makes removal much easier: http://printinz.com/10-x-10-254mm-x-254mm-printer-plate/

Really the biggest issue I've seen lately is ribbing, and I'm seeing that less and less these days and more and more beautiful prints. PLA can just be a bit finicky so cooling and seasoning the nozzle are the best practices to prevent issues.

2 people like this.
  5. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

6. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Cura is on my list as well as the feet and fan shroud. I saw the oiler on one other guys review. Gonna have to read up on that. Thanks k1e1v1i1n!

7. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

More fans. Check .

Blue painters tape. Check. Do you use that and the heated bed at the same time?

I do like the idea of the removable bed. I was considering a PowerSpec Pro (Flash Forge Clone) which had many people having success with using 1/4 inch glass plates right from Home Depot! Cheap and effective. Anyone ever try that with the Robo?

I did already place an order for some MakerGeek filament as I hear it is fairly nice stuff. White and clear.

Thanks Mike!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I have been using a sheet of window glass (at least 5mm thick) bull dog clipped on my bed from the first day I got my printer. Even at up to about 80c the window glass is ok. I have few sheets so I can prep a sheet while another print is finishing. Works a treat and is cheap insurance to protect the borosilicate from chips and scratches.

2 people like this.
  9. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

That sounds like a good tip as long as your getting good heat through it. I might have to try that.

1 other project depending on where you put your printer (mines in my bedroom, and the wife loves it :( lol) would be some kind of sound proofing. I know that's on my to-do list.

10. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Hi Ziggy!
    I'm really interested in using a removable glass plate as a build platform. My printer should be here Friday and I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas!
    A few questions:
    What size is the glass?
    What else are you preparing the glass with besides using the heated bed? Tape, hairspray or glue?
    How dose this impact set up and auto-leveling?
    Thanks!

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I am using a 34 x 22 cm sheet 6mm thick. BUT I have the earlier bed with the screws so the size of the glass sheet is smaller than the bed.

As you will have the later model of bed with no screws, it will be possible to have a full size sheet - but I am not exactly sure what that size is? Maybe someone else can measure theirs.

For PLA I use a liquid PVA wood glue watered down about 10:1 painted on the glass with a brush. Others swear by blue painters tape or hairspray.

For ABS I use Elmer's Super Strength glue stick on the glass and spread that out thinly using a brush dipped in water.

The glass does not impact the setup or the auto leveling function. But it certainly helps if the borosilicate glass underneath has any warping.

2 people like this.
  12. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Thanks! My printer should be here Friday so I can just wait and measure it then.
    I have never heard of using watered down wood glue. That's a new one I may have to try.
    Any bed temperature advice? You mention not having any issues up to 80C. Is there a ratio you use to determine the temperature when using the glass? So let's say for instance if the recommended temp is 55C you bump it up 15C or so?

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

There's no real need to bump up the bed temperature because of the glass. I have measured the temp using an infrared thermometer and the surface temp agrees with what the bed thermistor is reporting.

There is of course more mass to heat up. So it takes a little longer, but this can be improved (big time) by adding some simple under bed reflective insulation.

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...d-better-temperature-control.3935/#post-35107

2 people like this.
  14. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Thanks Ziggy! Good to know.
    The bed reflective insulation tip looks interesting.
    I'm wondering since I'm going to be installing an enclosure soon (Mike Kelly's) if that will help.

15. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

16. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Acrylic and adhesive are both on order. A friend will be laser cutting the acrylic for me.

2 people like this.
  17. Guy

Guy New Member

I highly recommend the secondary cooling fan and funnels - the print quality is much improved. I also love the LED ring around the nozzle so you can see the print. I made this part, which is a mash up of two other parts (fan duct and LED holder) and it works great - download it here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:655450

2 people like this.
  18. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

19. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

Great forum area, sorry if other wasted time answering same questions in my intro. My machine is used, scary as I don't know how much, so I am going to be concerned with which parts tend to wear out first so that I might get repair parts ready or do upgrades that will remove the need to repair instead of update replace. Is their a thread I should look up before posting more please?

Seller told me the following: Smooth rod end caps. Bought it January 2, so warranty is good until July 2. Auto leveling model. 1 kg black PLA 1.75mm filament. Brand new hot end. Would this be a model with the latest build specs. Just realized it's just 2/3rd into Feb, so this is pretty new. I guess it could still have a ton of mileage on it. Guy's name is Jason out of Titusville. Said he was starting company and partner ripped him off, so had to sell. I wonder if any of you affiliated with the company might know who I am talking about. Anyway ...

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@AJinFLA Start with all of the sticky threads (the ones highlighted at the top) in the troubleshooting and other forum areas.

Titusville is close, but I don't recognize the name.