1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How To: Cura 15.04 Setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mike Kelly, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

In mattercontrol there is a terminal you can bring up to see the g-code as the program is running and you can enter g-code commands. I can't find this in Cura.

2. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I think the box that comes up when you hit the print button is what your looking for, looks like you can enter code just right of the bed temp settings, below the box that scrolls info.

2 people like this.
  3. Robert Choban

I attached a screen shot of my Cura print screen.
    The question is why can't I see all the g-code commands that are being executed in the terminal window. The first couple of commands are ones that I entered, the rest is from the printed part in the screen shot, not much showing on the terminal screen.

Attached Files:

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah cura hides most of the commands sent that I've seen. I think Repetier will show them all if you save the gcode from cura then execute it in repetier host

5. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Heya Mike... We had previously talked about this code for setting the offset via Gcode:
    G1 Z0.53
    G92 Z0

Is the M565 Zx.x a new single line method? Is there any reason I should change it or does it do effectively the same thing?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The gcode M565 Zx.x function has been added by Robo to set the offset of the Z probe for auto levelling. You should use M565 rather than the G1 G92.

The M565 Zx.x needs to be just before the G29 probe bed command in your start up gcode.

7. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Thanks, Ziggy. Do you know off hand which firmware release this was in? I haven't updated in a while.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It was about I think it was the may or june edition that got the update

9. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

Seriously? who said Cura was so freeking great when using support??

[​IMG]

if this is good, I'd hate to see bad.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That looks more like what I remember :)
    Actually last time I tried with Cura it made a wonderful print with supports. The supports were unremovable, but the thought counts.

AJinFLA likes this.
  11. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

yup.. I'm going back to Team Slic3r

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did someone say this?

Before Slicer 1.0 Cura was better. Haven't tried 1.0 enough to know the quality.

Simplify 3d is still the king of support.

13. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

ya, I read it somewhere.. after trying it and failing before, I was seduced into trying once more by some "expert" who swore Cura was king. I had a feeling at the time it was because it was because it came with some machine he bought and it was all he knew. Same kinda guy that thinks a Prius is a good car :)

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well I did the math not too long ago and the Prius C was the cheapest 5 year ownership of any I could find :)

I need to give slic3r 1.0 another go. I've just had comm issues in Repetier and it doesn't seem to want to load files to SD from my LCD

Cura is nice because of how simple it is and how easy it is to tweak settings. Slic3r is definitely more of a work horse though.

15. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

I'm going to take the plunge and get Simplify3D .. I'd really like some decent support.. wait, for a second there I sounded like my ex...:eek:

2 people like this.
  16. Robert Choban

Mike
    is there a post for setting up repetier like you created for setting up cura

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I haven't had a chance to do one yet. Pretty much just the printer settings and such. There used to be a getting started guide for it on PDF but I haven't been able to find it in a while

18. cosber

cosber Active Member

Totally off topic, but watching your video, I would suggest tying up the hot bed wire that is rubbing on the bed as it moves. Mine eventually got snagged and ripped the wires off the bed. I got one of those cable clips and stuck it to the inside of the cabinet. Just sayin'

19. Robert Choban

Cosber, can you show a picture of how your cable clips work, and can you post it under "newheated bed installed"

20. cosber

cosber Active Member

Robert, I really don't want to start a new thread for something as simple as this. It's just one cable clip stuck to the inside of case, pulling the cable off the bed.