1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Rescue35's Robo R1

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Rescue35, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

The new Robo R1 arrived to day. Everything appeared to be in good shape once unboxed. The only problem encountered was that the printer and computer wouldn't connect. For whatever reason I had to manually instal the driver on my Windows 7 machine using this info http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Guide/How+to+Connect+to+your+printer+on+windows/4
    There was some missing information in it. Between steps 9 and 10 you need to select the USB Com & Lpt option.

Once finished with that and two whiskey and cokes, I finished following along with the start up video. I printed the calibration cube bellow using the sample filament on "medium" quality in Matter Control. The only extra thing I did was season the hot end per Mr. Kellys recommendation with canola oil. All told from deliver to pringing was about an hour.

I currently have an oilier printing. Then something for the wife for being so supportive. So far I'm loving it!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You will not regret the oiler. Print it, set it and forget it.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks nice. You're a little low on the first layer and could use some additional top layers to remove the pillowing

4. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

Thanks guys. There is room for improvement in the print quality. I am just having to much fun and have these few "upgrades" I want to get printed. Once that is done I will switch over to Cura and tackle that. I really like the user interface in it much more than I do MatterControl.

5. milks

milks Member

Not seen the new bed design before; now I'm jealous!

Glad you had a gentle introduction with the Robo. My experience was similar, apart from a leaky extruder it was printing well straight out of the box

6. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

I finally noticed that I had a problem. My Z axis was not raising has high as it should for each layer. Roughly 10%. On the thinner objects it was not really noticeable. I noticed the first time on an electronics encloser that I printed in two halfs. I split it in cad over a year ago so I figured I did something then. Once I printed a couple of airgun breaches it became very noticeable.

[​IMG]

The top breach Z travel is towards the camera. The bottom breach Z was towards the right. The difference between 4.5" and 5" is very noticeable. I resolved this issue with a quick search of the troubleshooting forum where I found this thread. http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/print-seems-squashed-down.4679/ I measured my Z rods and verified they are M8 x 1,25mm, reflashed the firmware with the proper configuration and ran the attached calibration cubes. I should have taken the calipers to the first ones. I was just to excited.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

Oh, I went with 10% infill and was not suprised it did not bridge the top layer as it would barely cove the others at 20% with minor porosity and some pillowing.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even with lower numbers as long as the infill is complete (enough) you can add more top/bottom layers to cover a lot of iniquities.

9. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

Thanks, I'll try adding more layers with a lower infill % to see wHat I can make happen.

10. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

You might also want to look at other software if you are currently using MC, might save you some problems down the road. Cura is a good start.
    Enjoy

11. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

Thanks, Im running Cura exclusively.

12. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I like Cura specially for supports and for everyday printing, but I found that some filaments Like XT are hard to work with, I now use Repetier with Slic3r, as you can use honeycomb infill and other infill options, with Cura you don't have those options. BTW Welcome to the Robolution!

13. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Yeah a lot of people miss the jack and coke step. It's very critical ;)

Awesome job!

14. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

I've been trying ABS lately.I have had a lot of issues with the print not adhering to the bed. Ive tried glue sticks and two different hairsprays. The prints come loose on the edge of the heated bed, small prints in the center are firmly attached. I have jerry rigged any incloser. And changed the config to allow bed temps up to 100 now. It has helped some. The image below shows the main reason. With the bed temp set to 80 in Curra I had a delta T of 19.5 in the area marked. That wasnt even comparing the coldest spot on the bed. There is a reflection of the extruder that I excluded.

[​IMG]

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, you could try another bed heater to see if you can get one to be more even or try something like WolfBite: http://airwolf3d.com/shop/wolfbite-prevents-3d-printed-parts-from-warping

I tested it and it worked for my test I tried with it. It certainly made the model stick... I really never use ABS (or rarely) so I can't say I have given it a thorough testing, but the test model I did with it was fine.

16. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

Here is a picture of the printer with lcd xxl screen. I love this mod. I printed a simple case for it and just have it taped shut and velcroed to the side for now. I ran the cables through the sd card slot in the Robo housing.

Attached Files:

#16 Rescue35, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  17. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

I have switched back to ABS in an attempt to print some tabs I plan to hang a $30,000 piece of equipment off of. I have updated the firmware to allow a bed temp of 100 degree C. My current print is using a bed temp of 95 C and other than a spot that is warmer the bed is relatively consistent with a minimum temp of 83 C in a few places.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far no warping and the print is 43% complete...did I mention how much I love having the XXL LCD Screen?

18. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

I broke it... again. Considering how hard I run this machine I'm surprised she keeps on going.

What is this? It came off of the carriage and is the part that holds the filliament against the hobbed bolt. Where can I get one?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Rescue35 likes this.