1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware (10/9/13)

Discussion in 'Official Documentation' started by Coby Robo 3D, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Rick, what problems are you having with this firmware? Many have moved to it and have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

I'm sorry to say that i got fed up with the printer and started stripping out all the inferior hardware and ordering replacements. At this stage the printer is in many bits with parts coming from all over the world. Once all the cheap Asian components are replaced I will try sorting out the firmware issue.

3. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Hey Rick, Sorry to hear your having a bad time, what bits have you replaced? Steppers? or Electronics boards?

4. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

I'm replacing almost everything apart from the boards...... For now. New hot end, thermistors, screws (everywhere) wires because the connections were crap etc. essentially I trolled the forums and google and found replacement parts that aren't cheap low quality hardware. You get what you pay for really, would rather have paid an additional 1k to not have to put up with replacing out most of the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Rick,
    Also sorry you are having these problems. I have used both the 10/9/13 Marlin_LCD version and the new 2/6/14 version with no problems at all. The new version has a one line change in configure.h in the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT parameters. Can you be more specific on the firmware errors if you remember them?

Why new screws everywhere? Could be that we have different builds with different quality and part issues. Mine is a November delivery printer. I don't see low quality hardware on mine except for the drawer rails. The rest of the problems tend to be poor design for manufacturability and build. These are the changes I made:
    • replaced the round head M3's holding the Y rails to the base with flat heads so they would center properly in the too large holes. Before this I had non-perpendicular XY axis and slightly trapezoidal shaped prints.
    • replaced the very poorly crimped AC lug connectors with new ones.
    • cleaned up and tightened all the power and MOSFET terminal blocks. They had loose wire strands everywhere.
    • New hobbed bolt and grooved idler bearing.
    • locktite on extruder gear nut.
    • Tightened Z screw grub screws after one side slipped.
    • Messed with Y bed leveling a bit.
    Actually when written out the list is quite long. I also added LEDs to the extruder and an auto power shutdown relay.

Good luck with getting your printer up and running.

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Oh - I also added the RAMPS fan and swapped out the F2 polyfuse!

7. Elegancec

Elegancec New Member

Hi, I have an issue while importing the Full graphic smart controller to my Robo 3D printer.
    Actually I could manage to import the u8glib library, but now Im getting strange faults.

Could you please take a look and give me a hint?
    My display is at the moment just white.

Looks like it can not find it, but it is in the library folder.

Error description:

In file included from /dogm_lcd_implementation.h:40,
    from ultralcd.cpp:32:
    ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:124: error: expected class-name before '{' token
    /ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h: In constructor 'U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_RRD::U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_RRD(uint8_t)':
    ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:126: error: class 'U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_RRD' does not have any field named 'U8GLIB'
    In file included from ultralcd.cpp:32:
    /dogm_lcd_implementation.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_init()':
    dogm_lcd_implementation.h:98: error: 'class U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_RRD' has no member named 'setContrast'
    dogm_lcd_implementation.h:103: error: 'class U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_RRD' has no member named 'firstPage'
    dogm_lcd_implementation.h:105: error: 'class U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_RRD' has no member named 'setFont'

Attached Files:

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

ASSUMING YOU ARE USING THE LATEST AND CORRECT VERSION OF FIRMWARE

Your configuration.h looks fine so there must be an issue with how the library has been installed into the Arduino IDE

In the Arduino IDE you should have a folder called "U8glib" in the "libraries" folder

ie like ....... Arduino > libraries > U8glib

Then the content of the U8glib folder should look like

upload_2015-1-22_10-29-25.png

Latest U8glib library for Arduino is at

https://code.google.com/p/u8glib/

#28 Ziggy, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Don't use this firmware. Use the one from the help page

Please make a new thread in troubleshooting section.

10. Gonzalo

Gonzalo New Member

Hi.
    I updated to firmware 7_17 _8mm at this time I can not go up to 85ºC on hot bed temp and auto levelling does not work. I try print using mattercontrol, cura and simply3d and get the same results "firmware" issues. any advise? how I can now what firmware version is in my robo now?

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

85 is the limit in the firmware for heated bed. If you want to go higher you need to change it (and there are a number of caveats there).
    As for auto-leveling issues do what @Mike Kelly said -- post in the troubleshooting forum with specific details about what you tried and what is happening.

12. Gonzalo

Gonzalo New Member

Thanks Mark. I find the 85c limit in the configuration.h file but at same time I read that some hardware modification must to be done before I change the 85 limit temperature.
    To correct the auto levelling issues I upload the new firmware using "windows OS" and mi Robo get back to live. MatteControl (OS X version) show a new firmware version available but after click update ask for reconnect the printer and show again the same firmware version and update available.