1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered *READ ME* My ROBO doesn't auto level correctly!? FAQ

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben R, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

M565 should be negative. As it indicates the nozzle position when the probe senses the bed.

The logic here is this:

A typical autolevel system works with a retractable probe. The probe extends past the nozzle to sense the bed position. When the probe touches the bed the nozzle is in the air, say 1mm.

In this situation M565 would have a value of Z1.0

With the RoBo3D printer, and other printers that uses the nozzle as the probe point, the nozzle touches the bed and the switches activate after this. When the "probe" is activated the nozzle is "in" the bed, thus it's a negative 1mm "into" the bed.

In this situation the M565 would have a value of Z-1.0

Any other other option (Slicer, G1, etc) would use a Positive value, as it is raising the nozzle up in the air (out of the bed) to be offset correctly.

Steve0, Wingnut and Joehsmash like this.
  2. CrazyCat

CrazyCat Member

My question is tho mike is in matter control under printer;general;z-offset do I simply type 1.1 and does mattercontrol convert it negative when writing the gcode? or do I need to be typing -1.1

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

mine says 1.18

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The only time to use a negative value is if you are using the M565 gcode command. This is essentially the same as a firmware value.

The slicer will just increase the first layer height to whatever your offset is. Ie if you set it to 1.5 with a .1mm layer height, it would start on Z height 1.5 instead of 0. Then the next layer would be 1.6, 1.7, etc

5. CrazyCat

CrazyCat Member

Ok I'm sorry. I misunderstood when you said no I thought you were saying no to what defender said. on the same page now

6. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

please forgive my daftness, how ever followed this guide, and i have found out that my z offset should be .8mm according to the paper test. now my question is what do i do with it once i know it? i have put .8 into the g code script but all it does is press the nozzle against the bed, and doesn't extrude any pla so i have been playing with the z offset and have just determined that 1.25 seems to be working the best so far, but i feel like i am still having inconsistent first levels.

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Well... leveling the nozzle with calipers (as I think you said you did in the other thread may be your problem still.
    The most important thing to be level with on the Z axis is being level with the switches. If they don't open at just about the same time, you can get wonky prints. As the head moves from one side to the other, one switch might not click at all as that side is not being supported by the nozzle. Though that might be a bit of a stretch to make up for half mm.

8. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

@defendermd okay i just adjusted the z azis so that i can hear the switches close at the same time

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

baited breath...

10. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

well so far that has made it worse, now even though i was able to get solid lines off the printer last night and before i set it the switches manually i was able to get pla on the bed, now its trying to print almost 2mm above the bed, just for comparason i ran the same file into matter control, and it printed perfect..... not a problem at all....

11. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

did you run a m119 against the switches?
    are they all working?

Are your magnets seated?

12. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

well just for comparason, same file, same off set.

these are from simplify 3d

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5537.JPG

and these are from matter control
    IMG_5534.JPG IMG_5535.JPG

13. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yea, i get it. something isn't set up right.

14. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

well, i tried to upload my settings, but new forum disallows it
    I can mail them to you

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Use a dropbox account.
    @#$%^ forum limitations (still)

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I know several (quite a few actually) R1 users who are happily churning out prints with Simplify, just need to get that sorted.
    But times like this make me glad I can manually level. It, like, almost never changes anyway (and if it does a few tweaks sorts it). even starting from a completely whack setup takes about 30 minutes to tune in nice and tight.

I know autolevel was supposed to make things easier and largely it does, but when it doesn't there is almost no point of reference to discuss how to sort it out.

Ben R likes this.
  17. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

printed this for the kid overnight with S3D doing the lifting. its 2 pieces and a bit of scarring from the support.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nice, that is a really tight print.

19. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

its decent. i'm happy with it. some crazy ringing, but its not "deep"

20. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

@mark tomlinson i have been manually leveling thats what i dont understand. like my z limit switches are literally hitting the stops at the exact same time, i dont know how much more level i can get. the y axis cant be adjusted, but my level tells me that the entire machine is perfectly level. what else can i manually level?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.