1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bowden Extruder upgrade

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Feb 6, 2015.

1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I know some on here have made this mod, are there any posts about it? The forum search tools are not working well for me. Also, can the bowden mod be done using the existing hot end? thanks in advance

wes

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes it's possible to do. Though there's a number of complexities involved.

The hexagon hot end will work if you buy an M6 to 4mm tube PTC fitting.

3. Robb

Robb Member

I'm looking to do the same upgrade. I have a E3d v6 hotend and want to convert my printer to a bowden feed. Was wondering if someone had a good write up on it.

4. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

5. Robb

Robb Member

This is great for building the carriage but where did you guys mount the bowden drive. Looking to go with EZStruder for the cold end. Wondering where is a good spot to mount it.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd suggest against the EZStuder as I've had my fair share of difficulties with it. Sticking with the greg's wade is a better alternative IMO.

Printing that carriage isn't necessary, though the Saddle and mount is an easy alternative for mounting the E3D v6 to the stock carriage. They have the same bolt pattern.

For mounting the extruder there's a lot of options on thingiverse. I just did this design for someone. It's a simple plate that the Greg's wade mounts to, then you attach it to the side of the enclosure like so:

[​IMG]

Check out thingiverse as there are other options for single extruder mounts.

2 people like this.
  7. Robb

Robb Member

Perfect. Thanks. I might end up going with duels. My only concern is with the auto level system on the robo. Maybe I will run duels with the cyclopes hot end.

This is my next planned upgrade.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Duals run fine on the autolevel. That thread @wthierry linked is for the v5. I have a newer design for the v6 I need to get around to releasing and I also posted a thingiverse page for the cyclops/chimera.

9. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

@Mike Kelly that plate, did you put it up on thingiverse? its a simplistic design which is exactly what i am looking for. im going to attempt to change one of your designs, and maybe you would have some input that could be beneficial.

if you have a second to talk, could i pm you?

10. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Is it as simple as getting the bowden tubing and moving the Greg's wade to the outside of the case using your plate? If not what else needs done?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I haven't yet. I'll try and remember to do that tonight-ish. Skype chat is the best way to get ahold of me (in my profile information) but you can also PM me if that's easiest

That's pretty much it. It's really not too complex. Hardest part is figuring out where to put the motors

12. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

Where on Thingiverse is the one you have in the photo? Do you have a link? I am looking into doing this.

I know this is technically a bump, but I am looking into this.

(edit-apologies for bump)

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer