1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered *READ ME* My ROBO doesn't auto level correctly!? FAQ

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben R, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not to worry, they actually provide support and they can open a ticket with S3D to get that answered.
    :)

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, I posted a question in S3D's forum but.

On the original post here it says "Home the head,"
    What does this mean? home all? so the head is touching the glass in the front left corner?

"Home Z" only does not do anything for me in S3D or mattercontrol. Home all works though.

3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Robo has their homing set up a little weird with home X and Y then home Z.

It is generally better to just use "G28". That will home X and Y then move to the center of the bed and home the Z. When it homes in each direction it is establishing those as zero points so X0 Y0 Z0 is the front left corner of the bed.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OPen a support ticket. Not posting in the forums.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Raise the Z 10 or 20 (or 100) mm and see if Home Z still does nothing.

6. KTMDirtFace

Ok thanks I'll try that. I could also probably home all? then just push the head nearish the center by hand after disabling the motors?

I emailed them as well. They usually get back quick.

7. KTMDirtFace

Thanks guys I got it working. G28 worked to home the head in the middle. then I turned the machine off

I re-did the z rods to make sure the switches were in unison.

Then I turned machine back on re-homed with G28. used simplify over USB to move it up 2mm. put a paper in kept moving down until i measured 0.9 with drag.

Got rid of my simplify3d offset in the GCode Tab..instead I changed the script line to have 0.9. That didn't stick so I Tried -0.7 and its smashed down too much but prints. I think -0.8 will be perfect.

M565 Z-0.7 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism

Thanks.

PS Is there only a stop switch on the Y direction on one side? whenever the tray comes out towards me there is no stop switch on that side and it makes a bunch of racket as the motors hit the resistance at end..

8. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Make sure your bed size is put in correctly. The printer is "dumb". If I send G1 X1000000 Y1000000 those motors will just keep going until something breaks. The same goes for negative movement. You could put in G1 X-5 and it will try and go past the end stops.

The endstops only stop movement when a G28 command is sent. If you are not familiar with the g-code registry I recommend browsing it.

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Check your Y belt as it moves and make sure it is not traveling up/down on the center pinions. If so then it will bind at one end.
    This is caused by the cog on the motor shaft being mis-positioned (too low usually, but could be too high)

10. KTMDirtFace

Oh ok thanks yea Mark that's probably what it is if i move it by hand i can feel it get stiffer at one end.

EDIT: I just got some BuildTak in the mail.. Was going to try it. Should I just put it on and re-do the process to figure out my Z-offset? ( home lift..lower until a sheet of paper slides under it )

#90 KTMDirtFace, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I would think that is thick enough that you might want to re-do the Z, but I am commenting on that sight-unseen. I have not seen or used the BuildTak.

12. KTMDirtFace

The buildTak is thick. I just changed my startup script so that it doesn't autolevel while hot. and re-measured my Z offset. I went from -0.8 to -0.9. Its printing ..but i can tell the left side of the print is not as smashed down as the right not bad but I can see a diffrence. Whats the solution for that keep playing with my Z stop switches to make sure they trigger at same time?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is the key.

14. JimBlue

JimBlue Member

My R1 was working fine when I did the test prints earlier this week when my replacement part came in.

Today I tried a few more. I haven't checked for loose screws or nuts on the x,y,z axis rods...

Had a feed problem, so I cancelled the print, and shut off the printer. Took a few tries, but I got that to work.

Turned everything back on, started the print over. The extruder head, as always, goes to the X0, Y0 point.

The printer starts the 9 point levelling, which it hadn't done earlier today. This is with Cura 15.02.1.

First point, X0, Y0, it moves up about half an inch. By the the 9th location, the extruder is about 4 to 4.5 inches above the print bed.

Each of the 9 points of the auto-level is higher than the previous one. Matter Control did the same thing, so it probably isn't the software. I have copied and pasted the two start gcode listings to show what that is doing.

I don't see anything here that would get the extruder head to move away from the print bed. Can't find my cable to load a picture of the print job to my computer. I'll look for tge cable so I can upload it.

Here is the gcode Cura adds to all prints.

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing...

So, after it did that, I cancelled the print job, and shut off the printer.

Started up Matter Control 1.2.3, no auto-level button in the version I have, so that should have no effect.

Here is the beginning og the gcode for the calibration box, from Matter Control 1.2.3

G21 ; set units to millimeters
    M107 ; fan off
    M190 S50 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
    M104 T0 S215 ; start heating extruder 0
    T0 ; set the active extruder to 0
    ; settings from start_gcode
    9999G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S210 ; set the extruder temp and wait
    G28 Z0 ; Home Z again in case there was filament on nozzle
    M565 Z0
    G29 ; probe the bed
    ; automatic settings after start_gcode
    T0 ; set the active extruder to 0
    G90 ; use absolute coordinates
    G92 E0 ; reset the expected extruder position
    M82 ; use absolute distance for extrusion

Attached Files:

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. JimBlue

JimBlue Member

Not yet... but I haven't done anything to it. And no one else in the family can get to it. Acting oddly isn't something it should be doing. I'll look at it tomorrow or Monday. My spare time comes in bits and pieces.

I know the M565 bit isn't in the gcode for Cura.

The second posts that links to mentions a firmware update, my printer is built in Dec, 2014. Do I need to do a firmware update ?

#96 JimBlue, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#97 mark tomlinson, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  18. JimBlue

JimBlue Member

Downloaded. I'll get out to my hobby shed and take care of this when I can. Probably Monday. Maybe Tuesday.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just remember that now is the time to do any customization you want while you are at it.
    Things is CONFIGURATION.H like :

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 235
    or
    #define BED_MAXTEMP 85

You may want different numbers, change them before reloading.
    If you are happy with the stock numbers just follow the instructions for reloading it.

20. JimBlue

JimBlue Member

Just manually zeroing... I can get the extruder to about 2mm from the print bed by going down in 0.1mm steps. When I tried 1mm steps, the extruder head didn't move. I changed my gcode to match what Ben put in the first post. Using ; to comment out the rest. This is in Cura 15.02.x

When I go to print the calibration cube, the print head moves UP and then does the 9 point check. Now putting it about 10-12 mm above the print head. All 9 points are now at this level.

I noticed the following.

The bottom limit switch, on the left hand threaded rod, has turned 180 degrees. It was facing me, and now it is facing away, towards the rear of the printer. Where the on/off switch is located.

It appears the left threaded rod is loose, and even though I tried moving the left bottom limit switch, it is steady on the threaded rod. The top wobbles almost as much as half an inch. The right hand threaded rod wobbles less, about 1/4 inch. This is with the extruder head about 5mm from the print bed.

Any suggestions ? Is it okay to take the bottom of the printer off and check the left hand threaded rod ?

Thanks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.