1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Few quick things

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Harry, Aug 9, 2013.

1. NickW

NickW New Member

Alot of you who are complaining really should take a step back and think a bit before laying into the ROBO team. They provide a big status update, indicating what they are aiming for as far as distribution of quantity and the better quality, and then are basically insulted for not catering to every customer directly and instantly? True that they have areas to improve upon both in the product, which they are addressing for FREE (How many times have you ordered something over the internet and an improved version is sent to you instead), and in the customer service side, communications mostly. Just relax a bit, they are working, you all have seen pictures and videos of these amazing printers in action, and if you think you can do a better job of making a 3d printer cheaper and quicker, then common sense dictates you should do it.

Thank you ROBO team for your hard work, keep it up, I look forward to seeing the quality of your product and business in the future.

3 people like this.
  2. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

I don't think anyone's really laying into them. Just asking for better communication. It gets really frustrating when there are daily "3d print your unborn baby's face!" updates posted on Facebook, Robo staff online here on the forums, and yet there's no new information, questions (like keraynopoylos's) going unanswered, and what little info there is can be scattered in places like the Shoutbox so nobody knows about it.

Clearly there's someone sitting at a computer googling "recent innovations in 3D printing technology" to repost on the Robo facebook page. Perhaps that person could spend 2 minutes to go, "Hey, guys, how many printers did we send off today? Another 10? And that puts us into April? Great!" And then type "10 more printers sent off today, we're now up to the start of the April backers!" into a news post here or on Kickstarter, rather than on the Shoutbox or Twitter or Facebook or smoke signals or whatever other half-dozen social media platforms they're using now. I don't need to look at pictures and videos. I'm already excited about 3D printing - don't need to sell me a printer as I've already paid for mine. What I need is my printer, which I backed to help me with my own small business, and can't progress until I get it.

It can get really frustrating to see when there is clearly activity and a bunch of (honestly, useless) posts with 3D printed casts and Some ECards memes but we still have to keep begging for basic info like what tier they're up to now. These are basic hiccups in starting a business, yes, but they're things they need ironed out if Robo is to be successful long-term. Communication is key, and they're continuing to fall short. It's improved, certainly, but it still needs a lot of work.

2 people like this.
  3. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

You may have noticed that Braydon was on the shoutbox yesterday with useful information and this was summerized in this thread by Mike Kelly.

It was discussed what the best method of giving small up-dates should be and several suggestions were put forward. I am sure Braydon took it all on-board and we will see up-dates, especially on numbers shipping, coming more frequently.

As far as keraynopoylos's frequent question going unanswered, he was advised of the best methods to contact Robo3D to get a response. Posting the question on the forum was not the advised method. A PM to the team or using the "contact me" link on kickstart page seem to be the best routes.

4. wrdutcher

wrdutcher New Member

I do admit that some of the speculation I mention was a bit strong and maybe uncalled for. But that was the appearance I was perceiving. Up until yesterday, all we were getting was bits and pieces of information that lead to more confusion, frustration, and yes even more questions. Finally, yesterday, a very nice summery of their progress. But what generated the big status update, was the complaining, the questioning, and perhaps laying into Robo. Yes we have purchased printers, we recognize that they need to be built, tested, and improved upon, and we commend Robo for doing so. We also all want a Robo printer. I am hoping to use mine to prototype some of the parts needed for my own printer design. That’s how printer designs evolve. Enough justifying my own comments.

Now back to the complaining, without it, the only updates we would be receiving is members saying “My printer was delivered today!” As paid purchasers of Robo printers, especially the kickstarters, until our printers are delivered, we are in fact investors in Robo3d, and as investors, we deserve to get updates on a regular basis. We are not asking for much, just a couple minute status summery each week. Especially considering that the printers being shipped now are over three months later than originally promised. All we ask is that they keep us informed and if they do the complaints will disappear.

I think Robo has a great product here, one that I will be proud to show off in my office. Btw, I don’t facebook, I don’t twitter, and I don’t even sit all day trying to catch everything in Shoutbox. But I do read all post updates when time allows, and that is where the status updates need to be.

Complaining off for now.

2 people like this.
  5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

No problem Nick and I appreciate your comments!

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Actually this is false. Being an investor in a company assumes capital investment and returns on that investment. We are not investors, we are backers.

We gave them money on good faith to return a product or service. We have no stake in their company and should have no expectation of any sort of company dealings. All we are entitled to is the end product.

This sort of "investor" mentality is what is causing these high expectations. They have done everything they are required to. Provide printers and give an estimated timeline for delivery. Initial estimates should not be construed as promised dates, but estimates.

I know many disagree, and do consider themselves investors. Keep in mind that investments are large sums, in the 10's of thousands of dollars. By investing in a company you enter a contractual agreement with the company that they will make a return on this investment at some point agreed upon by the investor and the company founders. We are not getting investment returns. We are getting a product we purchased.

Kickstarter is a great thing that allows for companies like these to begin without needing to go to private investors. Instead you crowd source funding in good faith to make a return on the product. When you're upset about the timeline of our Robo3d's, just remember that many funded kickstarters abandoned the project and kept the money. The backers got nothing other than a lawsuit against the founders.

We are actually getting printers. They are accomplishing their kickstarter.

Now let's all get off their asses and sit patiently while they keep up the hard work.

2 people like this.
  7. David Mortlock

Absolutely Mike. As long as they keep talking to us.

8. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

I did what you propose today David. Both in Kickstarter and in the forum(robo3dprinter account).

I'm waiting for an answer now...

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Keraynopoylos, may I ask what you are trying to get an answer to so I can try to get you that answer faster?

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

he wants to know why his march order hasn't shipped yet

11. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Yes Harry, as Mike said, I'm trying to see why my unit hasn't shipped -given the fact that 115 units have shipped as from yesterday, so the March tier must have been finished.

Thanks for offering to find and answer Harry.

12. wrdutcher

wrdutcher New Member

Your right Mike, backers is the correct term. Subject closed.

13. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Guys. IMG_0203.jpg
    More printers shipping today!

14. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Keraynopoylos, haven't gotten any more info except that they had printers shipped today!

15. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Hmm.. That may explain a lot.. You can't balance the box "fragile this side up" on some of those without it tipping over and mashing into stuff. =) You know deliver people are VERY literal. =)

16. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

frag·ile:
    French word put on packages meaning kick, drop and abuse while in transit

I do like seeing the pictures... I wouldn't mind seeing what they look like in the box.... quick someone make a somewhat pointless unboxing video for youtube…

17. David Mortlock

From looking through the forums and the KS page it appears that at least 4 March backers are still without printers or notification of dispatch. (Keraynopoylos, Rob, Kevyn and Chad).

I was wondering how this tallied with having shipped 115 printers, there are 92 printers in the March tier. Does this mean they are not shipping by months and are using some other system. ie are some April backers getting theirs before all March orders are fulfilled.

Some of these people have tried contacting Robo3D through the KS "contact me" link, as advised by Robo3D, with no response. I have also tried this method for another query, as advised by Braydon, also with no response. Is there any way to contact Robo3d and guarantee a response without having to trouble Harry all the time?

18. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

19. Stas

Stas New Member

So does that mean the shipment from today should fill all of the March orders. And at some point we should get a kickstarter notification.

20. David Mortlock

According to the numbers I would have expected the March orders to have been filled with last weeks shipment. Obviously this didn't happen from what some people are saying.