1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New firmware - ROBO R1 Firmware 3.0

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Robb, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Robb

Robb Member

So before i take the jump to using the new firmware. How it is working for everyone?

What are the major fixes?
    Is it using the latest Marlin release?

2. Nick C.

Nick C. Member

Works great. I had v2 I my printer and the Z axis was all messed up in the firmware so my parts where like smushed. V3 fixed it and I have had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not even close.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

lol fixes

Changed name from RoBo3DR1AUTOV5 in 7_17_8mm to ROBO3DR1V3 to align with firmware flashed in china
    Increase Temp fall error from 1/10 to 2/20
    Reduced max extruder temp from 290 to 280
    Increased max bed temp to 110 from 85
    Adjusted min temp from 195 on boards flashed in china, (7_17_8mm was 170) to 185
    Increased ABS preheat to 235/85 from 225/75

I asked why they didn't update the marlin rip. They asked me what was new in it to which I didn't know. If there's a compelling reason to update it they might but I kinda doubt it.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Thermal runaway prevention, soon to be fixed auto-bed-leveling with Extruder offset that works (set once and forget). bunch of fixes. Doesn't really matter that the Robo guys do , I already have most of it working on the current R1. Once the ABL bug is patched anyone can use it.

So they changed a few settings, but weren't smart enough to enable writing to EEPROM?

Anyway back to the OP, all they did was fix their mistakes in Configuration.h for Marlin 1.0.0 and didn't even fix them all. Then they changed the printer name to some inane nonsensical scheme.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am sure it makes perfect sense in Chinese

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Member

@WheresWaldo will you share your firmware with everyone?

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It's Open Source, I have to according to the GPL license agreement. But I need the developers to fix a couple of things first. When those bugs are eliminated I can make a pull request so they can include the proper configuration files I needed to modify to work with the Robo R1 into the main Marlin build. This is what Robo should have done in the beginning. All they appear to have done, clone the Marlin code and then didn't give anything back to the open source community. Sorry for the rant, but I am a big believer in open source and if you use someone else's code make changes to suit your needs, those changes need to go back to maybe help others. If the devs don't want it that is another matter. If you want to go proprietary like Makerbot then do that, you can't be on both sides of the fence.

So as soon as I can test with the latest builds and I know it passes muster, I will let everyone know.

Just as an FYI, the bug I submitted has been assigned to Bug Fixes Round 8, for whatever that is worth, there are no due dates on any of their Milestones.

#9 WheresWaldo, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I suspect software is not their 'thing' (they did pick MatterControl)

Robb and Harry like this.
  11. Robb

Robb Member

@WheresWaldo Thanks man! Would love to have an updated marlin version on my robo.

@mark tomlinson MaterControl is a joke. Used it for 2 days. Simplify3D is the way to go. Even at $150 its worth it.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Let me know if you need help. The good news is that outside of specific areas the code for Marlin is not much customized by/for Robo.
    You can see this by doing a diff on the Robo code versus the versions of Marlin it was cloned from. It would be relatively painless to merge. Most of the issues @Ziggy had been fighting were base Marlin issues rather than Robo specific ones.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have used the dev code as is, I looked at what Ziggy did, or at least what I could find, and most of the stuff he was concerned with is now fixed anyways. There is no code in the CPP files that should be any different for the Robo. I doubt the guys in S.D. changed anything other than Configuration.h. I have changes all done for the configuration files. Any other changes I did were for personal reasons to make things prettier, usually. So it is just a matter of waiting for Bug Fixes, Round 8 to be completed. I made quite a few changes from the Robo defaults to include best practices found on the forum here, so I will need someone to sanity check my modifications or at least ask me why I did them.

14. Tony Bucci

Tony Bucci New Member

does the 3.0 firmware have auto bed levelling routines?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer