1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print Failing in same spot every time.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Now that it is printing I see the potential for the problem. Those walls are very thin and any extra heat is going to turn them into goo.
    They may need to be printed even slower than I told it to. We will see.

180mm/min is like 3/sec :)

That still may be too fast.

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here it is. Uncleaned or anything. Fresh off the extruder (with the cheap-o PLA):

test print.jpg

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can give you my process (FFF) file, but I am using the volcano hotend so you will need to tweak things.

(this was at a really low infill setting as well)

The volcano makes this level of detail even harder really :)

Attached Files:

• PLA.zip
      File size:
      2.6 KB
      Views:
    #43 mark tomlinson, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Frankly, this is one area of the S3D config that I wish was easier to specify... the minimum time per layer is a bit clunky in how you have to specify it. Now, granted, there are a lot of other things to tweak, but they should make that easier to set.

5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Thanks well that turned out better than all of my attempts. I was running 20% infill. I thought of trying 100%. And Yes I am using cheap JUSTPLA brand from amazon.

Oh I have also been printing with Zero Bed heat.. because of the PrintinZ on my rep2 and the buildTak on the robo.. I don't really need bed heat for the PLA ( unless its a long skinny print then I use heat )

Woa.. did you print without support?

I'm still convinced im having an extrusion problem not a "goo" problem.

I have both printers totally dismantled and am going to attempt to burn whatevers in them out with my little torch.

Thanks I'll check out your settings file after I get my printers put back together.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, no support. It seemed to come out OK.

You may well be having an extrusion problem, but the timing is 'suspect' since it seems to be happening at that one spot.

This model is going to be a bit of a hassle to print just because of the geometry. I really though it was larger until I loaded the model...

7. KTMDirtFace

yea that model isi not well designed if you ask me. I'm trying to print it for a friend its to house his Mobius camera for first person flying on his quad copter.

I think I pretty much fail on anything that is in the "Blue" on simplify3d...if its going slow like that neither of my printers are extruding properly...I think thats the root cause. what caused them both to have this happen I have no idea!. My first guess would be that colorfabb XT I used its like owl snot and goos up everything..i ran it through both printers so maybe it goobered them up. Not a fan of the XT so far..but I may have got a bad spool. Printed solid is sending me some samples in other colors to try.

Rep2 is dismantled I took the entire hot end apart. nothing inside it anywhere that I could see.

Robo3d is dismantled too but I'm just going to wait for the E3D and Stud thermostat i ordered before putting it back together.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. KTMDirtFace

I just noticed in simplify 3d. 3.5 MM/Sec seems to be the slowest allowed. I changed that cooling reduction speed down to 1% from 20% and its still ends up being 3.5mm/sec. same as if i do it at 10%

I wonder if the fact that its 85 - 90 degrees INSIDE my house has anything to do with my problems. LOL.. man summer sucks.

Edit: Your settings look like the Simplify3d Defaults for the ROBO R1 on pla.. other than your nozzle diameter.

Somethigns up with my machines for sure.

#48 KTMDirtFace, Jul 4, 2015
  9. KTMDirtFace

I have quite the "FAIL BUCKET" going on. lol I kinda wanna dump this into a pot out on the firepit grill and make a massive ball of goo.

LOL
    [​IMG]

#49 KTMDirtFace, Jul 4, 2015
  10. KTMDirtFace

Failed AGAIN. ( this was on my replicator 2 )..the robo is still down in pieces.

I decided to print at .4mm layer instead of .2. got to the same part that sticks up and failed yet again. This was after a complete teardown to make sure that there was a fully clear heating unit and nozzle.

I'm done with this I give up. I cannot print this and I dont know why.

It starts failing INSTANTLY when it gets to layer where its just those thing walls then it starts under extruding and ends up printing into the air. its not a "GOO" problem.

I don't get it.

Should I mess with the Extrusion Multiplier?

11. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

By the way, for testing and optimizing the print settings I would not print most of the unneeded part/area and wait 2hrs. for the specific area coming up and waste filament by this.
    In Simplify3D you can decrease the Z-Offset/position of the part and lower the part to just keep the to be tested area on top of the print bed and slice it then. This saves your time, filament...
    Br,
    Matthias

#51 lemuba, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    KTMDirtFace likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are not wildly tweaked or anything. Speed and extrusion rate and nozzle size are the big differences. I did not hit a lower speed limit, it went to 3 mm/sec without complaining.

@lemuba is right, sink it below the bed except for the one part and it will print much quicker. Granted it is a small model anyway, but that will speed up testing.

13. KTMDirtFace

Thanks, finally tried this. and it worked! in ABS ( failed multiple times in PLA ) ( Note these images are from my Replicator 2..robo3d is still down waiting on USPS to pull my E3D out of their ass and finish playing "will it fit" )
    [​IMG]
    I also kept failing this print in PLA..so I SPED IT UP and it worked!..but it was short lived and probably luck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going to print an Oiler in ABS now. ( its fail city if I try in PlA )

#53 KTMDirtFace, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  14. KTMDirtFace

Anyways the consensus is both my Robo3d and my replicator 2.. stop extruding if the print speed gets somewhere below 15mm/s.. so fine detail things its stops extruding. I tried printing an entire print at 10mm/sec so uber slow. and it had extrusion problems from the very start.

My robo3d and my replicator 2 have the same nozzles on them.. perhaps that is the issue? I don't know.

#54 KTMDirtFace, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  15. KTMDirtFace

Manged to print an oiler on my replicator 2 in ABS.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think USPS will pull my E3D V6 out their ass tomorrow and I can go back to using the ROBO for PLA again...gonna print the robo oiler in ABS..since apparently ABS now works on small things for me.

16. KTMDirtFace

FINALLY A PRINT THAT FINISHED!.. this was ABS on my replicator 2... next I will try it in PLA with my new oiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rep2's new oiler ( I'll print the Robo's oiler in ABS soon probably )
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. KTMDirtFace

*Puts foot in mouth*

Thanks for all the help guys. The Oiler seemed to do the trick, used canola oil from the grocery store. I was having problems with ABS as well..but after dismantling everything the ABS worked printed an oiler.. and then printed that Mobius case -10 mm into the bed so only the fail part was printing.

Well it came out perfect! thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently printing an Oiler for the ROBO3d in PLA with an oiler on my replicator 2.

Hopefully tomorrow night after I get my E3D V6 my robo will be doing just as good and I wont have to post Replicator2 prints lol. I'm assuming the oiler was the issue on the robo as well. strange that I have been printing for 2 years on my Rep2 and have never seen this till now and never needed one..but apparently it works now!

Thank you again

#57 KTMDirtFace, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  18. KTMDirtFace

Success on printing the Robo3d Oiler this time.
    [​IMG]

Question, why is the robo3d oiler so gigantic?

I'm thinking about printing another one of these instead. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:406418
    ( its the one I printed a few posts up for my replicator 2 )

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Blame whomever designed it :)

You can use any oiler really.

20. KTMDirtFace

Off topic but I was showing a buddy of mine who has a MakerGear M2 printer. I was showing him all my fails.. he said the same thing "slow it down" etc. When I told him that the Oiler solved all my problems. blew his mind. ( mine too ).. he has been printing way longer than me and has never needed one or even heard of it. ( he has build a couple printers from scratch .)

Oh well printing like a champ now! thanks for all the help.