1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Buying a Second Printer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BenMac, Jul 21, 2015.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

Hello everyone, I have been reading through the suggestions that many people have, and have repeatedly heard about how good it is to have two printers. First of all, is this an accurate assessment?

Secondly, I have been looking into possible choices. Currently, I am leaning toward the Printrbot Play or Metal Simple. I like the Play's price ($400), but am not keen on its print area. I like the print area of the Simple, but am not so keen on its price ($600 w/o heated bed, $750 w/ heated bed). Both, by default, are pretty limited due to not having a heated bed. While the Simple with the heated bed is just $50 shy of the Robo 3D, so that doesn't make much sense to me.

I like the quality of the Printrbots, since they are mostly made of metal. So they should provide some really quality prints. I have not seen any other smallish printers that have as good of ratings as the Printrbots, so they have stood out quite a bit. I am leaning toward the Play, since it would let me experiment between now, and when I get the Robo. It could also be a backup printer if something goes wrong with the Robo.

Do any of you have experience with the Printrbots? Or even better, the Play. Do you think it is a good experimental printer, or do you think I should consider something else?

2. Aaron Mitchell

Aaron Mitchell New Member

A second orinter is a good idea with a caveat:

My personal suggestion is to just start with the Robo 3D, and get to know how the printer works and get involved in the 3D community here on Robo's Forums and the Shoutbox (See top of forum main page for the link). There are a lot of really experienced users here willing to share their knowledge.

As you learn the in's and out's of 3D printing, and begin using and even upgrading your machine and becoming better educated on the subject, you will begin to better decide on a second printer, or better yet, design and build your own from scratch or a kit.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I have a Metal Simple (as full disclosure, I do also sell them). As a PLA only machine, it is a better printer than the Robo. It is a really well built and well designed printer. I've heard similar feedback on the play. Of course you're giving some pretty good features to get there (all metal hot end, build volume, and heated build plate) and we all know that you can certainly hack the Robo into being competitive to much more expensive printers without a huge investment.

Can you elaborate on why you're waiting for a Robo vs just buying one? Maybe that would be a good place to start with giving you guidance.

Frankn likes this.
  4. BenMac

BenMac Member

Thank you to both of you for your advice. :)

To answer Printed Solid's question, I heard that the R1 Plus was coming out soon. So, I figured it best to wait for it to come out, since it sounds like it will incorporate some improvements. While upgrading with kits is possible, it seems wisest to buy the already upgraded printer to get started. You can see that discussion here.

Aaron, that is an interesting point of view. I had considered the idea of making my own printer, but I hadn't considered it as a secondary printer. So, you would go with the kit for the Play or Simple?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

'Soon' is relative time. :)

6. BenMac

BenMac Member

Very true Mark, I am pretty sure someone has that trademarked. :) Being part of several Early Access games has made me quite aware of how "soon" can mean a lot longer.

Even so, they have hinted that the Plus will be available in August.Though, they previously had also said that it would come out toward the end of July. The thing that makes it quite likely in August is that the upgrade kits will officially be available August 15th.

Edit: Semi-Minor Addition :)

#6 BenMac, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  7. Frankn

Frankn Member

What Upgrades are you expecting on the plus? Hay it's August now. "You can never get back lost time" I think that was Ben Franklin.
    Frank _DSC0002.jpg
    Click on the image if you want to see what sharp focus the Nex6 has. lol

8. BenMac

BenMac Member

Well, the page for the R1 Plus provides some of the upgrades. But I am particularly interested in the "new linear motion and lead screws." I am somewhat limited on funds, so I don't fancy spending $100 for an upgrade that is included with the next model (particularly since it will be the same price as the previous model).

I would much rather put the money toward one of the dual material print heads, some of the other upgrades that can be done, or filament. Yes, time is valuable, but so is money. I have waited several years to get a 3D printer, a month or so is not that much longer. While I would prefer to get started in the Summer, I can figure things out if that doesn't work out.

Of course, I would be more open if I knew that they would provide the lead screw upgrade for free some time within the 90 days.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to contact Robo directly and ask them about that.
    We don't have any insight into their operations :)

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

All this talk about buying a 2nd printer, buying a 1st printer, buy it now, or wait, kind of reminds me of Adam Osborne!!!!!

daniel871 likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Buy the robo BUILD a second printer.

Besides the printer you will end up building a LOT of character. ;)

12. Frankn

Frankn Member

That technical write up for the R1+ looks like technical eyewash. ie linear motion rods. Hay, I have linear motion rods in my R1 !
    I didn't see any actual details and they said I had to sign up to see the vid. I was signed up! There is an old saying, "The devil is in the detail". If you catch my drift. Frank
    PS, Don't get me wrong, I love my Robo.

13. BenMac

BenMac Member

I was waiting until the weekdays to contact them, I figured that the regular staff would be available. I contacted them earlier, but they seemed to not quite gather what I was asking. I will see if I can clarify my question tomorrow and get a clear answer. Even so, I am pretty sure I want to get the most recent model.

If they were charging more than $800 for the new model, then I would say that they were just trying to trick people into upgrading. But, from what I have seen from my research, their upgrades often incorporate community improvements. Since this will be my first 3D printer, I would like to get the best model that I can.

I have pretty much moved on from buying a second printer for now. I was mostly responding to Frank to be considerate.

I have other items to consider, so I have made some more reasonable changes to my wish list. I can get a tad impatient, and also will question my decisions while I wait. I don't know about you, but $800 isn't pocket change for me. So, making the best decision possible is important.

I may decide to build or buy my next printer, I will wait to make that decision some time in the future. For now, I will wait as patiently as I can. It is kinda challenging with the way my mind works, but I can do it if I put my mind to it. :)

14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind how expensive filament is, then, if $800 for the printer isn't cheap.

Unless you are only ever going to be printing in cheap PLA or something.

15. BenMac

BenMac Member

Well, I am not quite sure what I will regularly be printing with. Right now, I am planning to experiment with PLA, then move on from there. The biggest difference is that filament is spread out, as far as cost. the $800 is one large lump sum. It is the difference between a slap and being hit by a truck.

I am aware that cheaper filament is about $20, and that the price can go up to the $50 range for other "better" materials. I am hoping that once I get a feel for how printing works, I can work toward making a little money on the side. If that doesn't work out, then it will be a filament a month until I get a higher paying job. The key is experimentation, and something to experiment with.

16. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding like a dick. It really sounds like you can't afford a Robo. I wouldn't want you to be strapped for cash or not have enough money to be able to buy filament for it. If I were you I would either wait until you weren't so strapped for cash or buy a cheaper printer. The Hictop printers on amazon are half the price and I have been hearing and seeing good things about them.

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have spent a lot more in filament costs than what the printer cost me.
    Just so you know :)

Filament is cheaper now, but I prefer most of the (non-cheap) specialty filaments over plain PLA (and I really hate ABS).
    So that makes it a bit more expensive. Still JUST considering the cost of ABS and PLA I have spent more on filament.

(anybody want some empty spools?)

19. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Only if the spools are bejazzled.

20. BenMac

BenMac Member

While the HICtops are tempting, I would lean toward the PrintrBot Simple Metal Kit before getting the HICtop. The replacement parts for the HICtop are coming from China, so apparently they can be a tad expensive for shipping and such. PrintrBot and Robo are in the US, not only that, but they are in California (the state I live in). So, replacement parts will get to me pretty quickly, and I am supporting American companies.

I appreciate your concern over me potentially struggling with money issues. Right I will not starve if I run low on the money I am considering using for this, I would simply have to stop printing until I got more money.

How long do you suppose it took to spend as much on the filament as you did on the printer? Also, was that at the $800 price? Last one, Did you make any money off of the print jobs?

To be more open, I will have roughly $1600 by the end of September. So, I will have enough to buy filament. I hope to have a better paying job after that in order to keep feeding the Robo or whatever other printer I get.

#20 BenMac, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015