1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lead Screw Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Harry, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

Because the transaction didn't go through the day I made the purchase, or the day after... It posted 5 days later.

I've made preorders for different items where the retailer didn't post the transaction until the item shipped. And yes, I did see and mentioned in my earlier post that shipping wasn't suppose to be until mid august. I was just asking a question to see if others possibly noticed that their transactions posted and maybe received a shipping notification.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well they certainly won't get a shipping notification. They literally won't have them till then so there's nothing to ship.

I'm sure everyone else had their transactions go through as well. Pretty common for pre-orders

3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I understand what your saying.. some vendors I have dealt with don't charge your paypal until they actually ship the pre-order, but its very obvious when that happens you get some email from paypal usually when you order saying something about it being a pre order and you wont be charged...cant remember exactly its been awhile since I have seen it. Most if not all do not do it that way...and just charge you right away.

WheresWaldo and Phenom3030 like this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1. [​IMG] Today at 10:29 AM - Harry:
      Everyone who got lead screws that were bent: I just talked to the team and we will be contacting our manufacture today and figuring out getting replacements in to replace those lead screws that are bent. Once again sorry about this and as soon as I have more info I'll let you guys know.

5. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Are the brackets necessary? They look like they are intended to mount a switch. I have a beta and mine didn't have a switch there. So I'm thinking the bracket might not be unnecessary. Additionally they narrow print area if I use them. The nut fits into the same well the old nut fit into but maybe it's a touch loose?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They're not necessary

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, those are for the Z axis switches on the R1. The beta doesn't need them.

8. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Thanks guys the responses are very helpful. I'm so close to having this thing back on the road. I have been doing the smooth rod upgrade to replace the drawer rails at the same time... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:386602

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you're replacing the drawer slides you should add autoleveling as the smooth rods don't have a way to tram

10. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Tram? Finished the smooth rod Y axis upgrade and the threaded rod Z access upgrade. Surprisingly the prints aren't better. The printer feels alot more solid though. I doesn't sound like it's going to rattle apart any more. The simplify3d software leveling worked pretty well. First time I've used it. Did a couple of small test prints. Everything is working but the outer ribbing got slightly worse, no decernable pattern though. The inside of the print was much better but the outside wasn't a perfect. I'll have to do more printed to identify what caused what.

11. apwolf

apwolf Member

Tramming I a process of leveling an area of a table or platform to a head. Be it a cnc machine or printer. Usually done with a dial indicator, but autoleveling will do the trick on our systems.

How do these lead screws work do you actually have balls in those sleeves? Is there a way to compensate for backlash in the code?

Thanks

Sent from my One Plus One. Don't be evil.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@apwolf
    They are not ball screws, otherwise the cost would be 3x -5x. No software or firmware compensation for backlash, but since these are in the Z axis, and the weight of the bed is a factor, plus the slow movement, makes backlash of little concern.

13. apwolf

apwolf Member

I was thinking Z lift and returning to exact location. But you're right it is way out if spec of these printers anyways. Thanks

Sent from my One Plus One. Don't be evil.

14. Gary Osterholt

Gary Osterholt New Member

Just purchased the R1 off Amazon, didn't realize that a new model was coming out in a few weeks.

Been playing with the printer all weekend, for a newbie would this upgrade be worth the cost?

Thanks
    Gary

15. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

I would return it and just wait for the new one since they are the same price

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

16. Gary Osterholt

Gary Osterholt New Member

Yes, I could do that. But I've been using it for 3 days now, pretty much non stopped.

If it was broken or something I could see returning it.

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you don't have any issues with Z axis quality there's no reason to upgrade

Harry likes this.
  18. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I don't suppose someone can do a before / after picture showing what improvement the lead screws bring?

I have a 2-3 month old R1 and I'm seeing some ribbing (especially on my first 0.2mm height print the other day). I guess it isn't bad but I'm somewhat OCD so it bugs me. I'm wondering if the lead screw upgrade could make it better.

19. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Before I answer that if the rods are off by a 1/2 mm at the top (when it spins you see a minor wabble) is that considered out of spec?

My personal experience has been that because I have the Z axis smooth rods attached to the case acting to stabilize the Z axis then the rods are probably not necessary.

20. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

@jediknight0 I didn't take a before picture. Here is an after picture though. I didn't do the Robo upgrade kit. I did my own upgrade a few months ago. It has the same effect though.
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.