1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Update August 19th

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Coby Robo 3D, Aug 19, 2013.

1. djchew

djchew New Member

Dear Robo 3D, its about time for another update to the backers and pre-order customers.
    Thanks,
    Everyone

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do we know when they're back from china yet?

3. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

They are in flight now. And BTW, Ben WAS July, and moved into a April ABS Kit. So please, as we don't have the full list of who ordered what, and never will due to privacy, just be patient as possible.

In the shoutbox, Coby said they have 8 lists they are working from: domestic- ABS-PLA-assembled-unassembled and the same for international. So, different shipments for each list, most likely.

4. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

They are in flight now. And BTW, Ben WAS July, and moved into a April ABS Kit. So please, as we don't have the full list of who ordered what, and never will due to privacy, just be patient as possible.

In the shoutbox, Coby said they have 8 lists they are working from: domestic- ABS-PLA-assembled-unassembled and the same for international. So, different shipments for each list, most likely.

3 people like this.
  5. Ross

Ross Member

I am kind of at the point where I want my money back so I can just put it towards a newer improved 3D printer next year.

6. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Ross, this was not a purchase. This was a crowd sourced project. You had until the end of the funding to withdrawal after you evaluated the validity of the project. You chose to accept a backer reward which will be on its way in due time. This is actually one of the successful projects as they are shipping; a new I have backed never have made it to that point.

Once you have your printer, the sky is the limit. You can modify it as much as you want, or use it as the leap point to buy/build your next one.

It will be relatively soon I'm sure.

7. dbhughe

dbhughe New Member

While you are perfectly correct about the crowd funding thing, including the risks, don't forget that in this society the words litigation and class action can still bring fear and acquiescence to bear.

Personally, I believe that this is just a case of growing pains for a company who never expected to have to build 1000+ printers in just a few short months. I fully believe that I will receive my printer before I get too frustrated and demand action.

To the person who doesn't think that $500.00 is much money, for some people it is the difference between eating or not, paying the mortgage or not etc... Don't be so caviler about other peoples money.

There will always be Fanbois and detractors but I think in this situation we need to give them (the RoBo Team) some more time and understanding (but HEAR me, I may not feel this generous a month from now).

Have a great day.

8. dbhughe

dbhughe New Member

While you are perfectly correct about the crowd funding thing, including the risks, don't forget that in this society the words litigation and class action can still bring fear and acquiescence to bear.

Personally, I believe that this is just a case of growing pains for a company who never expected to have to build 1000+ printers in just a few short months. I fully believe that I will receive my printer before I get too frustrated and demand action.

To the person who doesn't think that $500.00 is much money, for some people it is the difference between eating or not, paying the mortgage or not etc... Don't be so caviler about other peoples money.

There will always be Fanbois and detractors but I think in this situation we need to give them (the RoBo Team) some more time and understanding (but HEAR me, I may not feel this generous a month from now).

Have a great day.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

So you're saying that a hobby item would keep people from not eating or paying their mortgage? I'm sorry but if they're that foolish with their money then they shouldn't be buying expensive toys like a 3D printer. My point was that $500 for a 3D printer is nothing especially when compared to the replicator 2.

10. Ross

Ross Member

Hey hey. Do not get me wrong.
    I said "Kind of"..

It is just really exciting with all the new 3D printers, scanners, CNC combos and all sorts.
    This is not about throwing money at a company to wait for them to actually build a product.
    It is more that there have been no backer emails since August.
    Even just a hello guys, a couple of photos of the 7 new people building our printers.
    If we are stuck with getting a printer from China, how about a photo of the factory there.
    Maybe a hey, shipping costs may be cheaper from China so we are throwing in some extra filament.....

It is probably my own fault for getting too excited about the industry and not showing restraint right??

Anyhow.
    I completely agree that this is Robo3dPrinter's first go.
    I am especially happy that this delayed time is actually having a positive effect on the final product I receive.
    But just a hello once a month may settle my nerves.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well the last update was August 19th so it's been less than a month. Before that it was the 1st. So we're seeing an update every 2-3 weeks.

That said just looking at their schedule there wasn't really a good point to drop a major update. If they just regurgitated the same thing from the Aug 19th email people would get more upset than waiting a little longer.

They said we'll be seeing a major update before the weekend.

12. dbhughe

dbhughe New Member

There you go again telling other people what to do with their (not your) hard earned money.

First off don't try to put words into other peoples mouths, it just makes you look silly because what you insinuated I said and what I actually said are two different things.

Secondly if you actually read my post you would see that I said "for some people", not hobbyists, not gazzillionaires, not trolls and not superheroes, just some people.

Thirdly, when I read your posts you sound like as if you work for the company or at very least are an unpaid fanboi.

Surely you can understand the frustration and fear of being ripped off that this forum is dripping with. You put your money out and even if it is a meager ( to you anyways) $500.00 you hope that the company you invested your hard earned cash into will deliver and you will not just be another statistic out in the cold.

The lack of daily communication is a problem, even if all you have to say is "Hi everyone, their are no changes since yesterday" that would serve to comfort the investors and confirm that the company actually cares. Surely 10 minutes once a day is not too much to ask.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They have a half dozen different ways of communication with users. And YES they actually do communicate with us almost daily. Just because you aren't here to see it doesn't mean it's not happening.

I'm not about to get in some pissing match over your when/how to spend money. If liking the idea of a low cost open source printer with a large build volume makes me a fan boy, then I am one. Who cares. Having fans of your product means you made something people enjoy. That's why there's a forum for us fans who want to discuss our new hobby with other hobbyist. If you're just here to get on your soapbox, then are you really contributing to the forum or just wanting to be heard?

It also kills me that people consider themselves investors. As I am working for an investor based company, it's nothing like a kickstarter.

And just so you know I couldn't afford the printer by myself so I went in on it with a co-worker. Because I knew I could never afford a $2000 replicator or comparable, and I figured 500 was something I could manage over a certain amount of time.

Our printers are being made as we speak. How bout we stop having anxiety attacks over whether or not we're going to lose our money (hint: we're not)

I seriously can't wait till october so this horrible whiny attitude goes away. It's killed like 99% of any traffic on here.

14. dbhughe

dbhughe New Member

Sorry if I upset you, and I agree an online argument can never be won so lets drop that. Wanting to be heard seems to be important to both of us (as well as the majority of humanity LOL)

The 6 different channels is part of the problem, not the solution to the problem of communications. A single channel where all is told would be so much more efficient for everyone involved (why should we have to search multiple places to get updated info) and IMHO that channel should be Kickstarter since that is where this all began.

I disagree with your idea of what an investor is.

One of the dictionary.com definitions for investing is:
    "to put (money) to use, by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns,as interest, income, or appreciation in value."

Everyone who put their money up is an investor, our ROI is not equity in the company like stocks or stock options, but the stipulated reward. The reward often (hopefully) exceeds the value of the invested money, hence the profit or ROI.

I also agree with your assessment of the prevailing attitude of the forum, I would like everyone to receive their printer so that the discussions could take on more of an artistic and/or technical aspect.

I don't think the investor posts have killed any traffic on here, to the contrary people come here to vent their feelings about how they perceive they are being treated (I.E. told one thing like delivery dates and being forced to wait for another). The perception is not that "the customer is always right" but rather that the customer doesn't matter. I am sure that this is NOT the case but it would be easy to believe that it is.

A "WHINY ATTITUDE", Seriously, you would say that about the people who funded this !!!

15. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Mike:

Did I ever say or imply that I want preferential treatment or favours?

That's for your message in shoutbox
    "7:30 PM - Mike Kelly: you should ship keraynopoylos's printer so he calms down a bit :)"
    and
    "7:32 PM - Mike Kelly: and has been quite livid about the delays"

Plus, please stop calling people whiners.

From my messages, my problem is VERY clear. And it is not the tardiness of the printer, rather than what I perceive as lack of respect towards customers(see, I didn't say investors).

If people trusted my project with their money, I would do everything in my powers to meet their expectations and SHOW them that I do.

Things happen and projects go late all the time. As long as someone is trying his best, no one can blame him, in my book(otherwise, it's the buyer's fault for misjudging/overestimating the potential/abilities of the seller/maker).

AllI see though, is the team acting as everything's fine. While it is most definitely NOT.

Every delay has a reason, which we have to guess, as no one will actually inform us.

Finally, regarding this message from the shoutbox:
    "7:32 PM - Coby RoBo 3D: he is probably from somewhere that costs $500 to ship" (he's talking about me)
    -and another message from shoutbox that I can't find anymore of Mike telling someone that his unit probably hasn't shipped "because he is from somewhere that costs $500 to ship"-

1. Where was it written that people closer to the Robo3d headquarters will be getting the printers first? I recall paying $70 more than US customers, just because of the increased shipping costs. The printer is not shipped to me for free, I have paid for it EXACTLY what I was asked for.

and not that it should matter but
    2. I live in London, UK. If that is "somewhere that costs $500 to ship", then I really don't even what to think about how much it's going to cost to ship to some other countries...(and the implications this will have to their shipping dates)

Mike, I really don't like arguing with people. I have no intention to continue this.
    But you have to be a bit more careful too.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If you have any questions or concerns youd like for me to address to the guys on the shoutbox next time I see them please let me know. Realizing I will also try to answer them from information I have already heard.

I'm here to help more so than anything. But you have to understand I also have my limits and I get frustrated by negative attitudes. If we just stay positive things will work out. I promise.

17. Alex Moule

Alex Moule Member

I certainly hope so, I went for a May PLA printer so if I get my tracking number in the next 2 odd weeks I'll be a happy bunny.

18. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

Squeak Squeak :)

3 people like this.
  19. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I live in the wilds of Suffolk so I dread to think how much it will cost to ship here. And I will probably have to wait for the annual mail coach to drop by.

20. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Not to mention the hazards it will have to overcome on it's way(Apache natives attacking mail coaches, pirates sailing the Atlantic, Robin Hood and his gang once it reaches England, etc)

Thanks for offering, but much like Harry, info not coming from an "official" member of Robo3D staff, can't be regarded as solid. Plus there is nothing I want to ask at the moment. I have presented my complaints on my previous post, regarding the tiers not being respected but I have no actual questions.

I have spent more time than I have available chasing up this thing, so I won't post again regarding tardiness and lack of information of the project until October.

I hope I won't have to ever again.