1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lets bring Robbie to life at CES 2016!

Discussion in 'ROBO 3D News and Announcements' started by Harry, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

This year ROBO 3D Will be attending CES 2016 for the third year in a row.

As part of our booth, we will have a giant 3D printed Robbie the Robot :). He will be 6’ tall!

In order to make ROBBIE special to us and to CES, we thought it would be a cool idea to have our customers help us 3D Print him! Yes, we are asking and hoping for you amazing customers to print pieces to bring ROBBIE to life at the show.

Is there a reward for printing pieces?

Yes! Everyone who prints a piece for ROBBIE is entered into a raffle to win a R1 +PLUS 3D Printer. Each piece you print is another “raffle ticket” that is entered under your name. Also, all participants get a 20% off, one time use coupon for filament on the ROBO 3D online store.

How to be a part of the ROBBIE THE ROBOT CES BUILD?

Please email Harry@ROBO3D.com and he will take care of getting you setup.

All parts must be received by November 1, 2015.

Printing details and instructions will be included when we email you your part!

- ROBO 3D Team

Update (September 1st, 2015): Part due date changed to November 1, 2015.

#1 Harry, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    de la mancha and BuddhaToad like this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Brilliant idea! What a way to not only get the community involved but to show the strength of that community at CES. I'm in. Now I need to find a way to go to CES next year to see it completed in real life. Love the idea and looking forward to playing along.

Harry likes this.
  3. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Thank you Danzca6! We love customers like you with the willingness to help out! If you do get to CES let us know! And we will hopefully be traveling with Robbie to all other shows we attend as well!
    - Harry

4. frank r

frank r New Member

I'd love to help, and should be at CES this year as well. I was there in 2015, but can't remember if i saw your booth or not.

Harry likes this.
  5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Awesome Frank! Send me an email and we will get you sorted. We were in the Sands Convention center last year.

6. danzca6

So got home and my part was waiting in my email. Talked to my son about it and he is as excited as I am to participate in this. Of course, he has far better questions than I do. How many total parts are going to make up Robbie? Will the full design be available at some point on Thingiverse (or Robo's model sharing site when it comes)? Finally, is the 20% for filament only something you get for your first part, or do you get it on all parts made for the project? Go figure an 11 year old. LOL!

My question is, you mentioned about maybe optionally putting your name on it. Can that be something I add to the printing process in the STL, or is that something we add with a sharpie at the end?

This is so cool!

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

@Harry I'll take a piece. I really like community projects.

8. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

@Harry Im down for something fun! Might not make it to 2016 CES but atleast I can help the project =D

9. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Sounds awesome Harry!

Harry likes this.
  10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Awesome @Printed Solid. Want me to email you one? And can I give you a harder one? :p

11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Awesome! Have you emailed me yet? If not send me an email, harry@robo3d.com. Thank you!

12. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Awesome! There are around 200 parts that will make up Robbie.

We have a miniature version of Robbie on thingiverse, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:358590. He moves around an all, pretty cool. Your son will definitely like that.

The 20% off on filament is 20% off one order of filament, but that can have multiple rolls of filament in that order. Does that clear that up?

You can add your name with a sharpie if you want, or you can add it before printing in the model itself. The second is what most people tend to do. Let me know if you have any other questions!
    - Harry

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  13. danzca6

I'm a total noob I guess. Is there a link to somewhere that tells how to add text to a model prior to printing? Also, how do you know what end is up? LOL! 200 pieces...that's going to be one cool assembly. I hear a youtube video in the making.

I saw Robbie already as a miniature and is in the queue for printing. It is pretty cool. My son went to print the model last night that you sent, but I ended up needing to buy some more filament in order to print it. Should be here to print tomorrow and he will be excited to get it started. Kids are awesome. He knows more than I do about printing 3d already. Obviously his name will be the one going on the part since he is doing the work. :) The teacher has become the student. LOL!

14. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey! What part # did I give you? I'll tell you what end is up.
    You can upload the file to Tinkercad and add text there. I believe this video shows how to add text to a pre-made object.

Yes a youtube video is in the making!

You guys can do more than one part also! So you each have your name on it!
    Each additional part you do is another entry into the raffle for a FREE R1 +Plus 3D Printer.
    - Harry

15. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yeah, send one over. And I'd expect nothing less than a more challenging piece :)

16. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

sent it over! Thanks Matt!

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Preview of my assigned part in XT.

[​IMG]

Harry likes this.
  18. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Amazing Daneil! Cannot wait to see the finished part! Thank you so much!
    - Harry

19. daniel871

I've heard in the shoutbox that XT can shrink/warp, could you have whoever split the piece off email me a sketch of what the dimensions ought to be so I can make sure I don't send you something radically smaller than it should be?

Proportionally things look good, but I'd hate to send out a bad part.

20. daniel871

Finished images

received_884276768292882.jpeg received_884276861626206.jpeg received_884277098292849.jpeg received_884277244959501.jpeg

BuddhaToad, Harry and Mike Kelly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.