1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NinjaFlex filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Melody Bliss, Jan 13, 2014.

1. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

How do I disable retraction inside of MatterControl? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Someone might have an idea @Mike Kelly maybe?
    I don't use that software.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Set the retraction distance to 0? I'm not sure either

4. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Look at expertNovice utube video on changing nozzles. Excellent how to video

5. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

I have a Robo 3d r1 and I have read all 8 pages of the feeds here in this forum. My problem is this...I cannot print with my Ninjaflex it keeps buckling under the hobbed bolt. I have put in a pen tube and cut out a half-moon for the hobbed bolt to grab the material and that didn't work. I cut another pen tube in half and put the small end into the feed hole below the bolt and the other half above the bolt and that didn't work either the filament just keeps buckling. I set the extruder temp to 225c and the speed is down to 10, the bed temp is set at 45c and changed the nozzel size from a 4 to a 6 and still no good...I am not comfortable with drilling out the feed hole for a Bowden tube and I don't see how that would stop filament buckling. What am I doing wrong or not doing at all that causes this to happen..??

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is still buckling at the hobb then your hole in the tube is too large.
    It should be just a big enough slot for the hobb to engage and no more.

You may also want to drop the speed even more. The fastest I was ever able to get the NinjaFlex to work was 15-20 mm/sec...
    It also has a horrible 'lag' time in responding (which is why retraction must be shut off -- it will never work with retraction on).

7. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Hi and Thanks for responding...so you are saying that the hole I cut in the side of the tube is too big, ok I can remedy that pretty quick!
    I did have the retraction shut off in settings. In "controls" what should the "speed multiplier" be set to and also for the "extrusion multiplier" I am running an oiler on this machine as well, but I really don't see a change in the print quality of my PLA prints?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not know what software you are printing with.
    If you use Simplify3d I can give you a copy of my profile, but environmental differences matter with something this finicky.

9. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Sir, I appreciate that offer very much but i'm using Cura and Matter Control and I am not familiar with Simpfy3d I also have AutoDesk 123d Design. Just learning how to use all this stuff and having a lot of fun and I have some projects for the Ninjaflex if I can just get it working??

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, experiment is my suggestion.
    It can be made to work. Slow (really slow) hot and no retraction are key factors.

11. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated!!

12. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Well here I am again..,.now I have changed the extruder from the stock one to an E3D V6 extruder and I drilled out the feed hole to accept a bowden tube. I cut the tube down to just at the lower side of the hobb bolt. I then changed the hobb bolt to a new one that has a narrower grip or cut area with a little more protrusion which is supposed to do a better job of advancing the filament.
    I also made sure that the bowden tube went all the way down to the hot side of the extruder.
    So now here is the problem...after doing all this work accurately and carefully, I feed the ninjaflex into the extruder thru the bowen tube and it seems to go all the way down, then I make sure that the filament is up against the hobb bolt and close the tensioner and return the 2 tension screws, heat it up and try to test extrude material and nothing happens I mean the gears turn but the filament does'nt adavance down into the extruder so nothing come ot the nozzel. So I try it again with PLA filament with the exact same results, now the PLA was working with the original hobb bolt but the ninjaflex has never worked with any gear. Does anybody know what the issue might be with this new equipment I can't undo the new E3D v6 extruder since I have already drilled out the feed hole for the bowden tube. I can change back the hobb bolt to the original but somehow I think the problem is more than just the bolt..Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!! (Robo R1 3D)

#152 Donald Neglia, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  13. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

could be a plugged nozzle or filament int the notches on the hobs bolt. Clean the notches on hobs with a dental pic or something like that. Heat your nozzle up to 245 and put a wire (guitar e string) up from the bottom into the nozzle. when you get it so you can run some filament through it is time for a good cleaning. Use talmen nylon filament and heat the nozzle to 245 and push some filament through until it comes out the nozzle. cool down the nozzle. once cool set nozzle to 245 and when temp gets to 160-180 with the filament clamp open use your hand and pull up on the filament firmly. it will pull up bringing lots of old filament with it. Just hold constant pressure and it will come out when ready. After repeating this until no more color comes out its time to season the nozzle. once again heat to 245 and then dip a piece of filament into canola oil and insert it into the extruder. You may here a sizzle and this is the oil providiing a coating to the nozzle tract. repeat once more and your should be set .

14. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Hi Ocsff
    Thanks for your suggestion...it's a brand new nozzle and so it doesn't have any clogs but, as per your suggestion I checked it anyway and all is clear. Thanks too for the oil info I have implemented that as well! So now the PLA works but the ninjaflex doesn't I can get the ninjaflex to test extrude but once I hit the print button all it does is curl up on top of the hobb bolt. I have ordered some new Bowden tubing because I think I will have to put in a piece that has only been notched out for the hobb bolt and see if that will stop all of the filament curling problems. I have a couple of projects that need to be printed out in ninjaflex and I was hoping that this new E3D V6 extruder would be my salvation, but...apparently not!!....Thanks for your suggestions and help it is greatly appreciated!!

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I notched mine (see original post) just enough for the hobb section to fit and ran the tube above the hobb about an inch. Also, I know it has been said (but...) you must print slow. Slower than you think :)

16. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

One last thing to try. Raise your z offset by .1 and see if that helps. I only have ptf tube to bottom of hobs and it works well. After changing z offset(raising nozzle ) try this:
    260c 1st layer
    245c rest of print
    15mm/sec 1st layer
    20mm/sec rest
    0.2 mm layer height

17. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Thanks and just when I think that I have resolved all problems, the thermister blows? Fortunately I had a standby so I replaced the thermister and the printer started to work just fine. Suddenly, in the middle of a print, the computer stopped communicating with the printer? Now all I get, while trying to connect, is an error saying that "the computer does not recognize the USB device please try to reconnect or device is not working properly". I have power so it's not a fuse, I deleted MC and reinstalled it thinking that maybe the driver needed to be reinstalled but, that doesn't work. Do you have any ideas as to what might be going on??
    This Robo printer has been nothing but a problem since I got it. It seems like for every print I have an hour or two repair job and I have wasted more material than I have printed and thats no exageration.
    Thanks for all your help!

18. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Sorry to hear your having so many issues. I had a lot when starting also. For me I was new to 3d printing and it was a learning curve. With your current usb issue. I would pull off the bottom and check for a loose wire. Unplug and replug in the usb connection on the board. Also some of the boards have a small black reset hutton on the front facing side of the board, if there press the button while power is on. Let me know if this doesnt work. I am personal friend with the guys at robo and can check with them for further help. Also you can call thier tech help line. This forum also has a bunch of guys who are a wealth of knowledge and may reply to your post also.

19. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

20. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Once again thanks for your help...I found the reset button and pressed it with the power on and connected to the computer...nothing happened and I tried it without the computer connection same thing...I'm at a loss! I did call Robo 3D tho and they are trying to help but I think this printer is a goner because I think the Arduino board took a dive on me and if that's the case there goes my short lived 3D printing career haha!
    Thanks again!