1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Z-AXIS Ribbing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Simonpackman1, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

I have ROBO 3D R1 and I am getting z-axis ribbing. This is entirely new and I don't know what the causes could be. I could really use a simple trouble shooting list... I use simplify 3D.

2. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

I've looked at multiple threads with similar results but there seems to be no explanation as to why this would spontaneously begin to happen? There also seems to be no clear answers... Please help. This is really frustrating. I feel as though something in my robo goes wrong and funky every couple weeks and I don't understand why.

3. lamiskin

lamiskin New Member

William Muraski and Mike Kelly like this.
  4. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

is this upgrade for the new R1?

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This is for any R1 that pre-dates the R1 +PLUS, dumb name as the '+' sign makes the word PLUS redundant.

6. Sonny's Robo3D

I have the R1 ordered in June so it's the penultimate one to the plus they are selling now. I assume you have the same one, but if I'm wrong sorry. I would try tightening the coupler to the lead screw. That happened to me where it just started out of nowhere. The tightening solve it temporarily. You will need to tighten it every three months and it will never be completely gone. The lead screw upgrade does solve it permanently I have been told - I'm actually installing mine right now

7. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

i got mine in june as well

8. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

i wonder why they would sell a broken printer. Why not just have the lead screw?

9. Sonny's Robo3D

Technically it's not broken if it prints. But it just doesn't look as good as it should be. They fixed the issue in the new R1 +Plus - they have the lead screw without a coupler. The coupler is really the issue - besides the fact they use one that allows for slipping it also flexible when we really don't need the flexibility. Guess we both should have waited a few months lol

10. Sonny's Robo3D

I don't mind this though - I have learned a lot about the printer and 3d printing in general because of all the tweaks. Also allowed me to come up with my own solutions. From all the reviews I read the Robo isn't the only 3D printer that hasn't come out perfect out of the box - read up on the mess MakerBot made with it's fifth generation 3d printers and those are $3000. I least we didn't pay that much ;-)

11. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

how o you tighten the lead screws?

12. Sonny's Robo3D

Well you need to tighten the coupler on the lead screw. In the tool set included with the Robo you should have a L-shaped allen wrench that should fit into the nut in the coupler - photo attached just incase.

[​IMG]

13. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

Got it. Why not just replace the coupler with a rigit coupler?

14. Sonny's Robo3D

If you can find it the right size 5mmx8mm it could totally work. Another user did something similar that he even printed out.

William Muraski likes this.
  15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If the threaded rod were fixed at both ends, you should be required to use a flexible coupling to account for any misalignment of the stepper motor shaft with the threaded rod. Since it is only fixed at the Stepper shaft you can use either Robo's solution (the lead screw upgrade) or solid couplers. There are many versions of couplers to print up on Thingiverse and they work perfectly fine as a replacement for the flexible coupler in this application.

Sonny's Robo3D and Simonpackman1 like this.
  16. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

this is what Mike mentioned to me.

I tightened the coupler and its better but still very noticeable.

17. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

I replaced the fan, tightened the couplers (took the top off removed the lead screws cleaned and lubricated them replaced the teflon tape), and I also reduced the extrusion slightly, Now test print...

18. Sonny's Robo3D

19. Kadows

Kadows Member

I also got pretty bad z-ribbing and for the project I'm working on right now I cant have that. I'm thinking about buying the lead screw upgrade too, I just hate spending another $100 without being sure it will help.

This is what my prints look like now:

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Will the upgrade help?

Simonpackman1 likes this.
  20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The upgrade absolutely would help. It's a night and day difference*

*Assuming you get straight screws which I have