1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Differential IR height sensor, Attemptin' Clone....ain't sure of success...now stage 10

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by jim3Dbot, Aug 25, 2015.

1. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Would be nice to 1/2 the size.......and maybe separate the IR sensors from the electronics...must function with E3D v6

Received parts day one of build.......Note: Sharp GL480E IR Emitter, Now Obsoleted....
    I crossed to a Rohm SIM-20ST Side View IR Emitter...still 950nm 13 degree beam angle, prototyping with thru-hole micro then will switch to smt..... 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

ayrilamalar, Mowi and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

4. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

006.JPG Diff. IR height sensor, Designed by Mr. Dave Crocker the genius he is.....

The IR board was assembled here........the Target board for flashing the AVR Tiny also built here......the Development board, AVR-ISP-MK2..purchased from Mouser.....under $30...the components were somewhere around $10.00.

008.JPG

Photo components on right side...look ma, no solder........

001.JPG 005.JPG Target board with 8 pin socket & fab'ed cable.

007.JPG

Target board.....I set jumper on AVR-ISP-MK2 to supply 5v from the USB cable.....

Should have a YouTube Video of this board operating, outside of the Robo in a few more minutes..I will post a link......

Jim3Dbot....aka Jimmy.....aka Kurotronics Inc......aka electric-roundup (ebay)

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sweet. I should be getting mine today. Let me know if you have any questions on it

jim3Dbot likes this.
  6. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Created short 5min video 'bout an hr ago......heading over to youtube to upload.......thanks again for your info.......

7. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

8. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Okay...It's been a long time since any real work has been done on this project...........Another new challenge, layin' out the PCB using Design Spark PCB.......the companion to Design Spark Mechanical.......which I chose for modeling 3D stuff.......knowing up front the PCB software was available. I have designed in excess of 1,000pcb's with black tape; Red & Blue tape; Tango, DOS based layout; OrCad and now Design Spark.........

Sooooo.....Instead of sending out the gerber files for a few PCB's.........I decided it probably would be smarter to shrink the working breadboard layout to a 1" x 0.750" perf board and install on the E3D...Robo

If that makes me happy....I will go ahead and order the boards.

I am kickin' around the idea of a wireless revision soon.......Here's what I'm thinkin'......Again, as before, close to clueless what I'm doin'......since 950nm IR passes well thru 1000um fiber optics....the mini can be designed with a female 3 pin receptacle header to snap onto the Ramp Z limit 3 pin header, no additional hardware mounting req'ed. Sorta like an Arduino Shield. Three fibers then are snaked thru the Robo harness, (no electrical noise in light) ....terminating with the three small inexpensive optics, in a 3D printed housing.......in theory, might work......I dunno......

Oh, if the mini works well.........if anyone of you guys who helped me in the forum want one.....I'll send you one of working five to ten boards ordered........

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    Mowi, jbigler1986 and Mike Kelly like this.
  9. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

What price do you think these will end up being?

10. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

I'll just send you one.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sweet design man. I'd love to test one out for you

12. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Thanx for the earlier info......when & if, tomorrows test run functions on robo...........I will order some bare boards......stuff.....and send you one for your other machine.............then research the IR design possibility....................

13. jbigler1986

I would love to try it out. Currently not using any autolevel right now because the Robo one sucks

14. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

I seen your forum entry earlier...........so now you are dancin' the twist.............mechanical trammin' is best if you are 'repeatablly mechanically sound'........Jimmy

15. Puff

Puff New Member

I also took Dave Crocker's design but could not get it going. Because of your breadboard layout I figured out that I swopped the + and -ve on the IR transmitters

Attached Files:

Mike Kelly likes this.
  16. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Puff....Let me know how the circuit performs when installed on the Robo. I am hoping to get a point/point wired brd installed within a day or two. Glad to see my pics helped you troubleshoot the emitter/anode swap on the IR's. You may consider relocating the 0.1uf cap,C2, closer to pin 8 with a solid gnd.....long wires, bundled with heater & servo motor leads may play havoc with the ckt.

17. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Just adding PCB Design...green is rear ground plane with thermal reliefs, red is front traces with silkscreen outlines & component reference designators.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  18. jbigler1986

Yeah this is way above me but I can't wait to try it out.

19. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Well this stage has a hardwired, point to point wired perf board assembly of the MIDS, seems to work....output was connected to a 10K pull-up resistor to simulate the Ramp Z Input. I included a short video showing brd functioning? Sorry 'bout the focus on the video my camera is Macro-Challenged.....one of those HD flips..........Second thought on using a tsop package to make PCB smaller..bigger...no good won't fit & much smaller will reduce the spread between the IR Emitters & photo transistor....

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    #19 jim3Dbot, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. Puff

Puff New Member

Just a correction, I'm running two P3Steel printers.
    Housing complete, will try to do some tests over the weekend.

Attached Files:

jim3Dbot and Mike Kelly like this.