1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@jbigler1986 If everyting is working and you're not experiencing any issues, then there really is no reason to update firmware, ever. But if you want to take advantage of improvements in ABL, Thermal Protection, faster and deeper move planning then you might want to consider it. Will you notice a big difference if you use this, likely you won't notice any changes at all, other than display on the Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller, if you have one installed.

@Sonny's Robo3D, just fixes any bugs found in RC1. Once it hits release candidates all features are frozen and all new code is confined to fixing bugs in the current feature set. You will need to go to https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/commits/RC to see what exactly was fixed in this RC.

Sonny's Robo3D likes this.
  3. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I do have the Full graphics. Did the layout change? Also do you know how to be able to manually control Extruder 1? I can adjust temps for Extruder 1 but I can't move Extruder 1. I can only move Extruder 0. This is for dual extrusion by the way.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I don't have a dual, and I am not sure they addressed this issue in 1.1.0. Matter of fact, I don't even know what the issue is. You would need to try it and see, then if it doesn't work, open a ticket on their github repository. Since flashing only takes a few minutes and setting up a small print a few more, it shouldn't be hard to test, then go back to your previous firmware.

5. jbigler1986

@WheresWaldo Well when you go to Prepare>Move Axis>1mm>Extruder it would be nice to be able to pick Extruder 0 or Extruder 1. Does that make sense?

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not sure I see the purpose, since the extruders are in a fixed relationship to one another, if you move extruder 0 1mm in any direction, extruder 1 moves the same amount in the same axis. So what would be the point?

7. jbigler1986

Extracting filament. Say I need to change filament on Extruder 1 (1st extruder is actually called Extruder 0). You can only extract filament on lcd with the first extruder (Extruder 0). You cannot extract or retract filament from lcd with extruder 2 (Extruder 1)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Right, unless you mean EXTRUDE via extruder 0 versus EXTRUDE via extruder 1.
    Movement makes no sense.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

lol, swing and a miss

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yeah @Mike Kelly, we already discussed this was about extruding, not moving.;)

11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Am I reading the firmware offset notes for Z correctly?

If I define the Z-offset as 0.85 there would my Starting G-code be:

A)
    Code:
    G28
    M851
    G1 Z5 F300
    G29
    Or

B)
    Code:
    G28
    G1 Z5 F300
    G29
    Or should I just go with C)
    Code:
    G28
    M851 Z0.85 ;My current offset
    G1 Z5 F300
    G29

12. Sonny's Robo3D

You aren't setting the offset on A or B - C is definitely your choice.

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The specific firmware lines I'm referring to are these in configuration.h

Code:
    // Offsets to the Z probe relative to the nozzle tip.
      // X and Y offsets must be integers.
      #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0        //--ROBO-BH Probe on: -left  +right
      #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0        //--ROBO-BH Probe on: -front +behind
      #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0.85        //--ROBO-BH -Prefills M851

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Dan, I am pretty sure my comment is correct. but Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER, I am told is only used for homing.
    What I do is save the M851 to EEPROM by doing the following from a terminal session:
    Code:
    M851 Z0.85
    M500
    If it is in EEPROM it survives a reset and does not need to be included in G-Code.

15. Martin Hoogendoorn

Martin Hoogendoorn New Member

Guess i am doing something wrong.
    Wanted to try a custom firmware to get babysteps enabled.
    But when i try to complile the marlin firmware i get a error message "Marlin.ini:44:101: fatal error: U8glib.h: No Such file or directory

Tried serveral versions that are posted above.
    Am very new to this so hopefully someone can point me to solution.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As @mark tomlinson said, since this has the full graphics smart controller enabled by default you need the Google graphics library added to you Arduino IDE. I will make sure that is mentioned prominently when the next RC or release is available.

I did this because that is the hardware I have. If your hardware doesn't match mine, make the appropriate changes to the firmware to match your particular setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

18. Sonny's Robo3D

Anybody has the original files @Ziggy posted on this thread before for the marlins firmware upgrades? I want to add the filament counter in the space that is left on my LCD screen. I'm close but there seems to be something I'm missing in the calculation, I think Ziggy figured it out and I wanted to compare what he did.

19. Matthias

Matthias Member

Hi guys,

back after a long time....

Am I the only one that thinks that the 1.1 firmware is extremely unstable? I'm not really talking about the Robo modifications, but rather the stock Marlin FW in regards to auto bed leveling. If you look at their open issues, I think I found a hand full of really severe issues.
    I modded mine with this thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:301715. However, I can't really get the bed leveling working.
    The issues I have are:

1. Z-homing only steps up, regardless o the state of the endstop. This also happen on G29, where every probe gets higher than the one before
    2. The servo used to go up and down on every probe. right now, it moves down and basically scratches (if I wouldn't run into 1. ) over the bed to the next spot.
    3. Inverting axis ( Y, in my case) also reverts the endstops, that's y-min is not y-max and vice versa (this is for my new, home built printer, but basically it's similar to the RoBo layout, just bigger and heavier and more precise and all that)...

to just name a few annoyances.

If someone has http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:301715 running please share the whole firmware. It seems that they break things with new patches (not unusual, but annoying)...

m

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can review issues:

https://github.com/issues

and subscribe to the mailing list. As for the initial question... no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.