1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Differential IR height sensor, Attemptin' Clone....ain't sure of success...now stage 10

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by jim3Dbot, Aug 25, 2015.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Just a note of question. Depending if the mini IR is mounted on one of the sides (X) or the front/back (Y) of the extruder will determine if you need to set Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER or X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER or maybe a little of both if the IR isn't in direct line of the extruder hot end tip. I guess if the IR is mounted on the right of the extruder and foward of the center of the extruder hot end tip, then you might have to adjust both correct? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Finally, just for clarification sake (and I might be more tired tonight than I want to admit) when you set the Y probe offset to -25 are you saying the probe is 25 mm in front of the extruder or behind? I would assume in front since it is saying (from what I understand) that where the current position of the tip is that the probe is 25 mm greater than that Y value (Hotend - Probe). If it was in back, then it would be a positive number.

Sorry for the potentially obvious questions, but wanted to make sure I understand the requirements for making these settings.

2. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Danz,

Missed this the first time around, humbly again.............but, you are correct in all your over-thinkin'.......I'm the master of over-thinkin and will still miss what others see as obvious...........

If you mounted the board, as I did, (and you did not)...My mini is 1" or 'bout 25mm from the nozzle....aligned visibly with the X axis, but it is physically located 25mm in front of the nozzle Y axis towards Y home........therefore, it would require a negative 25mm.

If you mount on the right side, rotated 90 degrees, then, the mini will be too far in the X, since you can't see the IR, wing it......measure from the nozzle tip to approx center of where you think the IR is reflecting, ( a little past the board edge ). mine was 25mm. use that number to adjust the X offset. I'm thinking you are '+X' distance from the nozzle.....soooo maybe use a positive X distance back to software 0. If your Y is off a little like you suggested tweak it like you did the X.

I don't know for sure, but this procedure only helps in autolevel, why?.......because the steppers are at one place & the readings collected are in another. Probably won't make much of a difference unless your bed has a quick hi'lo spot........Hey, we all are pluggin' along.................Take Care

#82 jim3Dbot, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Patrick Elliott likes this.
  3. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

4. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Thanks Mark, Just too green yet.........the experience of the 'regulars' on the forum are light years from where I need to be......Just a learner lurker now......appreciate the site.........quite a robo/member symbiotic relationship goin' on.......

5. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Final Layout on PCB.............Revised mounting hole centers to be consistent with others.........added slight offset D1 & D2......
    Board smaller...........re-routed traces.........

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
  6. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Here's some pic's of progress towards the goal of fabbing a complete IR assembly. Board size - 0.920" x 0.700" with mtg holes 0.725" centers. Mounting.holes are 0.100" dia, ( accommodates #2-56 pan-head machine screws ) with over 0.200" dia. clearance for screw-head. Mounts to stock robo carriage screw, Mount IR loosely with 2-56 nuts in recessed channels, slide to best height & snug screws. If anyone needs the stl file, let me know...otherwise still work in progress............Take Care

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  7. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

PS: It's best to print your IR mount as shown on the robo bed picture. That will assure the part that presses against the carriage is flat. No supports required in print. Red mount pic. is meshmixer.

8. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I'd love to get in on this testing... Reading through the full thread, I might have just missed it but I'm not finding the complete BOM or eagle/layout file to etch the PCB with. Is all that posted somewhere and I just missed it? I just read through all five pages of the full thread again, and I'm not seeing that info. I think I might just be being dense, but Jim this is a great project and I'm eager to participate!

9. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Hello THE Das Wookie.......You didn't miss the files..........I really don't have a BOM........See Dave Crockers' Blog page......I downloaded the schematic only..........had all of the discretes in stock except the ones pictured in the Mouser bags. I designed the board using 'Design Spark PCB software' because it fit well with 'Design Spark Mechanical' that I currently use to create STL files for Meshmixer.
    I think you may be able to read the labels of the parts I purchased from the pic's........if you have any trouble.......let me know.

The pcb was "final" pic'ed above.....but...........while in the process.....the light bulb went off ;)......since I did not include the ICSP (in circuit serial program) header in the design.........I figured I would use one of the new boards as a sacrificial lamb (SL). The SL will not be populated, the six added vias on the new board will house six spring loaded POGO pins. I will use the Robo to print the two part fixture that will house the SL clam shell style....the pogos will be automatically aligned with the completed assemblies Vias, dropped down and program the stuffed PCB. May sound difficult but not really..........Wook.........here's a pic of where I'm at at this moment.............the 20 pcb panel is out for quote(s) today.......a little behind where I like to be,,,,,but, life gets in the way................Jimmy

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  10. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Just to keep this crankin' forward.............this is the latest bare PCB production schedule..........I'll continue to post as this thing approaches fruition........... Hope this post is still interesting..........it's close.

Since these these panels contain very small SMT parts, size 603............I am considering sending out a 'solder paste file' for a laser cut stencil.........had the smallest SMT parts been '803' size,,,,,,,,,,, I would hand solder...........

Production Schedule

C0058963BN_A2CGHE002A.zip

Oct 14 2015
    06:16 pm (china time)
    Verification Pass......... done......(inspection of gerber files,similar to G code)
    CAM Input Finished.....................(photo-plot of files via laser photo-plotter, creates a film)
    Lamination...................................(photosensitive dry film is heat / pressure to Cu Panel)
    Drilling..........................................(NCD Drill file, excellon, used to drill all thru-holes)
    Plated-through Holes...................(drilled panel is immersed, electrolysis, plating drilled holes)
    Chemical Etching........................(copper is etched away in bath, laminated film keeps latent image)
    Plating..........................................(Resist was removed, panel plated heavier w/copper)
    Solder Mask.................................(mask is screened onto panel, covering all traces, not pads)
    Silkscreen....................................(oven dried then 'text' is silk-screened onto panel)
    Surface Finish........................... (immersed into flux & dipped into solder, blow-out solder filled holes)
    Cleaning.....................................(hi-pressure wash)

Shipping..........DHL from overseas, over hills & over dales

#90 jim3Dbot, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Mike Kelly and danzca6 like this.
  11. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Yippie

Production Schedule, China Time........

• C0058963BN_A2CGHE002A.zip
    • Oct 14 2015
      06:16 pm

Verification Pass
      done
    • Oct 14 2015
      08:42 pm

CAM Input Finished
      done

• Lamination

• Oct 14 2015
      09:43 pm

Drilling
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      02:23 am

Plated-through Holes
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      03:15 am

Chemical Etching
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      04:42 am

Plating
      done

• Solder Mask

• Silkscreen

• Surface Finish

• Cleaning

12. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Production Schedule, China Time
    • Oct 14 2015

Verification Pass
      done
    • Oct 14 2015

CAM Input Finished
      done

• Lamination

• Oct 14 2015

Drilling
      done
    • Oct 15 2015

Plated-through Holes
      done
    • Oct 15 2015

Chemical Etching
      done
    • Oct 15 2015

Plating
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      12:56 pm

Solder Mask
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      01:06 pm

Silkscreen
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      01:45 pm

Surface Finish
      done..............dun

• Cleaning............... then DHL

13. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

[​IMG]Here's where I ordered the stencil..........should be lazer'd today & shipped DHL.........probably have panels & stencil towards the end of next week................process.........so far, so good............
    [​IMG]
    sales@sitopway.com <sales@sitopway.com>
    [​IMG]5:02 AM (3 hours ago)

[​IMG]
    Jimmy,

Have got your payment ,Thanks.

and have arranged for manufacturing.

After shipped,will inform you the Tracking Number.

King Regards,

Kevin

Puff likes this.
  14. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Very nice Jim. Can't wait.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  15. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Thanks Justin.............Got yours reserved.......I'll send you a cable for your robo.........so you don't have to fab one.........private conversation me with a shipping address..........

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Awesome. Really excited to see how they came out

17. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Thanks Mike.......I'm sure they will do a good job...........used the pcb house in the past for other designs......trustworthy.........I'll order parts after I receive shippin' confirmations from both vendors..............same message as JB's............will need some sorta of addess to ship you guys......work or where-ever.........I'll begin test/program fixture design later today....while waiting 4 parts................

Production Schedule
    • Oct 14 2015

Verifition Pass
      done
    • Oct 14 2015

CAM Input Finished
      done

• Lamination

• Oct 14 2015

Drilling
      done
    • Oct 15 2015

Plated-through Holes
      done
    • Oct 15 2015

Chemical Etching
      done
    • Oct 15 2015

Plating
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      12:56 pm

Solder Mask
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      01:06 pm

Silkscreen
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      01:45 pm

Surface Finish
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      07:37 pm

Cleaning
      done
    • Not shipped yet........completed panels Thursday but still sittin'......Hmmmmm
    On a lighter note...Stencil progress.........

Track DHL Express Shipments

Result Summary

Waybill: 1845112356 Shipment information received Sign up for shipment notifications Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 13:11 Origin Service Area: HONG KONG - HONG KONG - HONG KONG Destination Service Area: MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS, OH - JAMESTOWN - USA
    1 Piece

Saturday, October 17, 2015
    Location Time Piece
    1 Shipment information received HONG KONG - HONG KONG 13:11

Here's a screen shot of the solder mask stainless steel mask used for squeegee'in solder paste onto the twenty board panel.........ignore the ghostly figure in the foreground..........

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    #97 jim3Dbot, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  18. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Result Summary

Waybill: 1845112356 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG Sign up for shipment notifications Monday, October 19, 2015 at 19:52 Origin Service Area: HONG KONG - HONG KONG - HONG KONG Destination Service Area: MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS, OH - JAMESTOWN - USA
    Estimated Delivery: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 By End of Day

1 Piece............'Good Shipping Manufacturer'

Monday, October 19, 2015
    Location Time Piece
    4 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 19:52
    1 Piece

3 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 18:22
    1 Piece

2 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 18:21
    1 Piece

1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 13:55
    1 Piece

Concerning the PCB Panels...................'Bad Shipping Manufacturer'............or they are going to be sparkling clean.......Hey fellas..............remember me?..................I'm sitting in the bath............

• Surface Finish
      done
    • Oct 15 2015
      07:37 pm

Cleaning
      done
    • Not shipped yet........completed panels Thursday but still sittin'......Hmmmmm

19. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Great job, when do you plan on selling them, I would be interested.

20. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Hi Mike,

Like to help some of the regulars that I 'learndid' from.........If you have an address....converse me one..........if all goes well...I'll send you one, MK & JB want one to test but, need somewhere to ship.......keep up the good work on the forum............

I have been running the hand-wired proto for a couple of weeks? Works flawlessly so far......

jimmy

Update on stencil.

Result Summary

Waybill: 1845112356 Customs status updated Sign up for shipment notifications Monday, October 19, 2015 at 13:01 Origin Service Area: HONG KONG - HONG KONG - HONG KONG
    Estimated Delivery: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 By End of Day
    1 Piece

Further Detail: Next Step:

Destination Service Area: MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS, OH - JAMESTOWN - USA
    Monday, October 19, 2015
    Location Time Piece
    5 Customs status updated CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 13:01
    4 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 21:47
    1 Piece

3 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 21:35
    1 Piece

2 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 19:52
    1 Piece

1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 13:55
    1 Piece

Now that's shippin'

#100 jim3Dbot, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015