1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bondtech V2 Extruder, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by robert sanchez, Sep 21, 2015.

1. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Manufacturer: http://www.bondtech.se/product-1/
    US distributor: http://www.smw3d.com/bondtech-v2/

@Mike Kelly and others who have bought one. Yes I know its $120+$8 for bowden

Hi guys, so now that the Bondtech V2 has been out a while what do you guys think of it?

I'm planning on ordering one when they come back in stock and was going to look into either designing an updated carriage for direct drive or for bowden or both depending on how much time I have in Solidworks 2015.

Let me know your thoughts.
    RobS

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd love to see someone design a drop in replacement mount for a direct drive version.

I really enjoy it so far. The amount of torque it can supply is just bonkers. The motors skip before the filament does which is great.

3. robert sanchez

Ok great then I will keep at it. I've started a Bowden version for use with the volcano and I've got a request into them for Igs, step or solidworks files to help design the direct drive version. Let's see if they get back to me. STL files drive me nuts.

4. Mike Giraud

Mike Giraud New Member

I've had the V2 for a couple of months now, and love the reliability that it provides. I had issues with the Greg's Wade on prints that required heavy retract, and the V2 was the solution. I've done the same prints that the Greg's Wade failed on with ease.

I designed a direct mount setup for the stock X-carriage to mate to the E3D V6 and its working perfectly. Photos below. The only issue with the direct setup is that the extruder's stepper position hits the Robo's plastic housing on tall prints. I simply remove the housing if I need to go to the max Z on a print. I could also trim the housing, but haven't had a need yet do go this drastic.

I have the stp files of the V2 from Martin at Bondtech if you need them. I used them in designing my direct mount. I planned on moving to a bowden setup with the V2, but the direct setup has worked very well printing at 50-60 mm/sec, so I'm not highly motivated to go to a bowden yet.
    20151003_205316_resized.jpg 20151003_205407_resized.jpg

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Mike Giraud the STEP files would be nice as I am about to do something similar and would like to modify the BondTech for ease of use. Sen me a PM please.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

sweet design mike

7. robert sanchez

Bondtechs finally in stock!!!
    Looking forward to this project, let's see how long it takes me to actually get to.

8. Bondtech

Bondtech New Member

Nice work Mike!

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Mike Giraud, I could not get the STEP files to work. They were only shells and not solid models. Was this your starting point?

I figured out how to convert parts 16, 17, 19 and 21 into solids. Seeing if it was successful now.

#9 WheresWaldo, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  10. NFOsec

NFOsec New Member

Great job Mike. I'm curious, would you be so kind to share the file(s)? I recently ordered and will soon be receiving the Bondtech. I also grabbed the parts to support Bowden in the event I go that route. In addition, I have been using the stock hex/extruder for the R1+ but have found that the reliability for nylon, semiflex, flex, or bridge is not as reliable as I need it to be, so I ordered the E3Dv6 to go along with it. Initially, I was able to pump out some pretty reliable nylon prints (Taulman 910) but haven't been able to for weeks now even after cleaning, etc.

Thanks!
    -Brian

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@NFOsec, I sent you a message.

12. Mike Giraud

Mike Giraud New Member

Guys,

See below for my Bondtech V2 mounting files and some design notes. I use an E3D V6, but the design will work for any J-head. One caveat - mounting a Bontech V2 onto the stock Robo X-carriage will only allow print heights up to 130mm due to the Bondtech's stepper hitting the Robo's plastic housing. I simply remove the housing if taller prints are needed. I'm also working on riser feet to raise the Robo upper plastic housing up to allow full print height. This is not a major issue, and is worth dealing with for the print reliability that the V2 provides.

I'm a big fan of knurled threaded inserts heat inserted info PLA so my design uses M5 and M3 inserts. The Zip file includes three parts in three formats (.prt for those using Solidworks, .STP files for everyone else, and . STL for those who want to print as-is. Feel feel to modify and improve.

Instructions.JPG

Attached Files:

robert sanchez likes this.
  13. robert sanchez

thanks @Mike Giraud for posting the SW files. Much appreciated.

14. robert sanchez

@Mike Giraud just started dropping everything together. Did you mount the hot end to your adapter plate instead of into the bondtech?

thabk you

15. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

First test print with the Bondtech after calibrating the new esteps and re-flashing the firmware with the new values suffered a clog in the heatbreak area of my hotend about four hours into an eight hour print. It also managed to wrap a bunch of filament around the internal drive gears so that I had to disassemble it completely to clean it out and put it back together.

Credit where credit is due, it didn't strip out on the filament feed, but I don't think I'll ever try flexible filaments with it if a clogged hotend results in this big of a mess as the extruder continues feeding filament. There should really be another opening where the logo is so that you can see whether the filament is knotting up inside the extruder housing or not.

16. robert sanchez

@daniel871

Mmm so many questions.

How did you mount the hot end to the bondtech?

Did you use a small amount of PTFE tubing from the hot end all the way up to the feed gears to support the flexible material? (Would require an e3d with Bowden tube protruding sligtly).

17. daniel871

This is what my setup is right now, except with the Bondtech replacing one of the Hercustruders and a sheet of PEI on the bed instead of the blue painter's tape.

[​IMG]

18. robert sanchez

@daniel871 did Run the PTFE Bowden tub all the way up to the gears to support flexible filament and notch the tube to get it close to prevent filament flex?

19. daniel871

The PTFE tube runs as close to the gear as the Bondtech printed housing that came with the gears will allow.

I'll take a pick of the inside of the housing when I clean it out again this evening.

20. robert sanchez

Hi @Mike Giraud
    Can you post some pictures of this baby assembled.
    RobS