1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lead Screw Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Harry, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That would work probably but you'd need to design a custom mount to secure it to the idlers plus autoleveling

2. James Cullins

James Cullins New Member

Thanks Mike, I made an adapter to make it fit the existing Hex head hole.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Just got my leadscrews tonight and installed them. Night and day. I thought the hardware difference was just the removal of the couplers, but like Mike mentioned above, the TR8*4 screws are beefy compared the M8's I had. Also noticed that the hex nut for the screws on my old set was drilled off center on both. That was probably kicking me in the pants as well. These new ones are so stout that I don't even see them moving. Had to put my finger on one during a print just to make sure the auto level compensation was working. Before I couldn't do any precision work without so much post processing that it wasn't even worth it. Now, parts fit together right off the bed since that darn ribbing is gone. Worth every penny to me. Thanks goes out to Robo for this upgrade (Harry and Jerry). Also a special thanks to all the guys that helped me get these parts installed and the issue resolved (MK, BAM, MG, and JB). Happy printing!

Before and After
    http://imgur.com/xdXvcXh

4. James Cullins

James Cullins New Member

Mike, mine is working pretty well now.
    I used Solidworks to design the adapter from lead nut to the X axis. I added a little lip to limit the backlash.
    Only issue is resolution is not as good as the Robo uses. I had to change the steps per unit to 400 from 800 it was going twice the distance.

5. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I see the lead screw upgrade kit is sold out on Robo3D's site. Any idea when they will be back in stock?

6. jediknight0

Anyone with inside knowledge about when they will be available again? I was just about to pull the trigger on this upgrade... :(

7. James Cullins

James Cullins New Member

Mike, I had to change the firmware back to previous version and change steps per unit to 400 to get it to work right. The Z would get to about 20mm and start skipping steps and knock the print loose from the print bed. I printed a 25.4 by 25.4 by 50.8 and it as almost right on. A little under so I assume srinkage. Thanks for your help my prints have some very smooth sides now.

8. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey guys sorry about the lack in response.
    We hopefully will have these again shortly. Let me see if we can open up pre-orders on them.
    - Harry

9. jediknight0

That would be great, before I get tempted by some other shiny object and blow all my disposable income... ;)

robert sanchez and James Harry like this.
  10. theories

theories New Member

Very interested in this upgrade; the ribbing on my prints have been driving me nuts. Please do!

11. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

Me toos!

12. jediknight0

Not to be pushy, but it's been a few weeks and I don't see any way to pre-order yet. Any chance that's going to be available soon?

Thanks.

- Russ

13. MakeJeff

MakeJeff New Member

20151027_073925.jpg I'm in.

robert sanchez likes this.
  14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I spoke with Jerry about it and it's too expensive to air ship these and it's not clear when their next sea order will be. So things are in limbo unfortunately

15. James Harry

What are
    Thanks, Mike. I will probably do this myself in the interim. I saw your post that these are Tr8*4 lead screws. How long are the rods? Any lead (pun intended) on the nut that is used on this? It would be nice to be able to use the same switch mounts and keep it as close as possible to the Robo upgrade.

Thanks,
    Jim

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You want 350mm length ideally

James Harry likes this.
  17. jediknight0

That's a bummer. Please keep us posted if anything changes... I'd love to add this upgrade as soon as possible now.

18. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

For those having to source these separately, the kit from Robo also comes with new plastic end stop mounts that are pretty nice. I haven't seen a model posted yet to print them yourself, but I could try and whip one up this weekend if anyone is interested. Something tells me that there is already one out there somewhere though. Too bad the supply boat is so slow on these. They truly are a nice upgrade.

endstop.png

19. James Harry

Thanks, that would be awesome. I have not been able to find the same sort of brass hex nuts either, so a model to work from would be a good start to adapt to what I can get a hold of.

Jim

20. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Ok, I may be a slacker when it takes 3 mo to get around to installing the upgrade.

Now that it is installed and auto calibrate runs, it is printing in air.

Question, should I just adjust the Gcode z offset or should I run the manual calibration with a piece of paper, then mess with the z-offset?