1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

DIY Enclosure using Ikea Lack Table

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by DjAnnexAlpha, Nov 7, 2015.

1. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

So, I was online looking to see how much it would cost me to fully enclose my R1 in an acrylic enclosure. Price=INSANE. Then I stumbled upon a site where a DIY approach used two Ikea Lack Tables to make an enclosure and some acrylic sheets. Will do more research. Should be interesting.
    [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Having the electronics in the enclosure is a bad idea. Well, bad if you are going to heat the enclosure at least.

3. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Yeah I figured that mounting the Power supply externally and I already have a Noctua fan cooling the ramps board. Maybe add a "hose" of sorts directly to the ramps fan so that way it won't interfere with cooling.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good news is that the electronics can all be mounted outside. No need to have them in the heat.

5. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Yeah now the only question is whether or not the Ikea table will actually be able to house the R1. The main reason for the enclosure is so that I can run the printer while I sleep as well as be able to print ABS reliably in a controlled environment.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Enclosing it will help with ABS a heated/temp controlled enclosure is the ideal way.
    I find that wealth of other materials (most superior to ABS) that are now available means not having to deal with ABS issues.

7. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Nice. What are they? Because the main use for me using ABS is for car parts.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Seriously?
    Dude... there are a LOT :)

FilamentTypes.jpg

9. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Nice! I want to try that poly Carbonite! But I am pretty sure I will need to upgrade to a E3D V6 to gethe the maximum out of this printer...as well as raise the Z-Axis :)

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Inside a car, where temperatures routinely exceed 100° F, needs a plastic that has a high glass transition temperature. ABS is still one of the better materials for this particular application. Which is why auto manufacturers use it. Poly-carbonate might also work depending on the actual composition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#11 mark tomlinson, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  12. janot928

janot928 Active Member

i think the mike kelly enclosure is still a better way to do it and would also take way less space

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here is a pretty good chart with many material listed and their Glass Transition temperature (Tg): http://omnexus.specialchem.com/polymer-properties/properties/glass-transition-temperature

And here is a good explanation of why it's important: http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=957

When I am finished building my new printer, the first order of business is to reprint all the parts, currently in PETG with something like carbon fiber filled ABS. This will be to simply raise the ability to withstand higher chamber temperatures, since it will be enclosed also.

Other than the added space requirements, IKEA Lack tables are one of the most versatile pieces of furniture ever created.

DjAnnexAlpha and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nice chart, but since it lacks the common brand names it makes tracking down what you are comparing a bit harder.

BluPrint (to compare) has a Tg 105c which makes it nicely up there (ahead of ABS).

There are a number of reasons why you might need ABS, it is not a dunsel.
    But don't restrict yourself to just PLA and ABS.

(edit: I just sanity checked PC as well, I knew it was a high Tg, but didn't remember how high.)

#14 mark tomlinson, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It's too bad that most filament suppliers do not routinely provide this information along with extrusion temperature as it is nearly as important, sometimes more.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I know. When researching new filaments it is a 'journey of discovery' sometimes to nail this down.
    I had someone representing a new filament mfg. contact me about testing some of their filaments for comparison and their 'nylon' was a beast* simply because I could NOT get specifics from them on what flavor of nylon (or what sort of blend) it really was.

Me: what type of nylon is it? 620, 630? Specs plz.
    Them: just standard Nylon

WTF? How can you NOT provide that sort of data?
    Stick with names like Taulman and the others -- you get all the data at least from them.

*their version of the wood filament, a la 'Laywood' was pretty decent I did end up getting a spool of that.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Ideally, for the OP using a filament that is glass-filled or carbon fiber filled polycarbonate would get him Tg ~ 150° - 200° C. I just haven't found any in filament form yet, lots of GF/PLA and CF/PET but no GF/PC. maybe you know of some that I don't.

Back on topic, If you are going to use two IKEA Lack tables, I would extend all the wiring and move all the electronics out of the Robo and mount them under top surface of the bottom table. Completely out of the heat controlled chamber. It would simplify cooling of the electronics and possibly prevent heat related print or electronics failures. I might leave the Robo base intact, but you would no longer need the top of the Robo either, the Lacks are cheap and it would be a worthwhile experiment if you are handy with a drill and have some mechanical aptitude.

DjAnnexAlpha and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Boom! There ya go :)

Exactly.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

To get quite that high you probably need a PC of some sort (which, I realize, is what youa re sayin' here -- not arguing :).

Which, in all fairness, has its own issues.