1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How To: Cura 15.04 Setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mike Kelly, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I've been using Mattercontrol since day one with very good results. But of course most of the forum veterans say how it's junk so I've been trying to use Cura but I can't seem to get a decent first print. For starters, I can't seem to figure out how to offset my Z access by 1.0? Also, I tried to print something small but the print layers seem like they are "squashing" each other.

What's up with that?

2. nonmindo

nonmindo New Member

The Z offset is set in the Gcode, my offset is .62 so my gcode looks like:

M565 Z-.62

3. Ricardo de Freitas

Ricardo de Freitas New Member

Hi all,

My name is Ricardo. I'm from Curacao. Currently on the island I don't know any other hobbiest that might be doing 3d printing, so I guess i'm alone for now.

This is my first post. I have been reading a lot trying to figure things out, but I guess I am not understanding or troubleshooting my situation good.

My first prints I used to use Mattercontrol. Since then I've upgraded to Cura 15.04.02 on a mac and also installed E3D V6.

I've been playing around with some z settings in the Gcode, but still not getting the sweet spot. Below I have a copy of the Gcode i'm using and also what the values I get from Cura when it does the bed leveling.

Attached i also a picture. What it looks like is that my extruder tip is to much on the level and its merging everything together I assume? Your knowledge highly appreciated.
    Thank you.

< Bed x: 15.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.25

< Bed x: 107.00 y: 20.00 z: 0.09

< Bed x: 199.00 y: 20.00 z: 0.25

< Bed x: 200.00 y: 130.00 z: 0.13

< Bed x: 108.00 y: 130.00 z: 0.01

< Bed x: 16.00 y: 130.00 z: -0.44

< Bed x: 15.00 y: 240.00 z: -0.20

< Bed x: 107.00 y: 240.00 z: 0.27

< Bed x: 199.00 y: 240.00 z: 0.56

< Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: 0.00 d: -0.42

< planeNormal x: -0.00 y: -0.00 z: 1.00

< echo:endstops hit: Z:0.56

< Error:No Line Number with checksum, Last Line: 18

and my Gcode is

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    G28 ;home all axis
    M565 Z-0.50 ;Define a 1.0mm offset, this may need adjusting
    G29 ;run autolevel routine
    G1 Z10.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing

Attached Files:

4. Sonny's Robo3D

You do want it to be a bit smushed but not as much as you're getting. Try with z-offset to about 0.7 (usually -.0.5 is too low)

M565 Z-0.7

Mike Kelly likes this.
  5. Ricardo de Freitas

Ricardo de Freitas New Member

Hi Sonny,

Thx for the tip. I just tried the -0.7 on m565. This is how it looks like. Should I try perhaps a -0.65 or so? I see like I have a lot of gaps still on the first later. My rim also is very well smudged together compared to what mattercontrol does. Is there perhaps a topic that talks a little more in detail what I should be looking at when calibrating? I can't seem to find any.
    THx again.

Ricardo

Attached Files:

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

7. joshtheimpaler

joshtheimpaler New Member

My printer prints too low and adjusting the screws doesn't work. How do I set a Z offset of +1 mm in Cura? Is there a way?

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You can set that in the beginning gcode. It's the right tab in Cura. It's spelled out in pretty good detail at the beginning of the thread. Start with Z-1.0 and work from there. That value can also be set in your firmware, but this is better for quick adjustments. Remember that build up of hair spray or tape thickness will change the value needed. So keep an eye on the first layer over time.

9. joshtheimpaler

joshtheimpaler New Member

This worked like a charm. Thank you! Sorry I didn't see that in the beginning. I assumed that when they added the profile for Robo 3D it'd actually work. :/

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The offset for everyone is a bit different so you'd need to set that yourself

11. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

Newbie question :

So if my nozzle is rubbing against the bed, for example, right now it is M565 Z-1.0, so what number should i use/change to make it not rubbing against the bed?

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

more negative -> further from bed

Jimmy Husain likes this.
  13. Ssendam

Ssendam New Member

I have a similar question as Jimmy but I can't see mine rubbing on the bed. What happens is after I start the print, the filament stops extruding because the gear that drives it wore a notch in the filament, like if the head were jammed. If I pull the filament out, snip of the bad part and re-thread it, it starts extruding fine.

So is my situation similar where I just need to change my start.gcode line "M565 Z-1.0" to something like "M565 Z-1.1" to start the extruder farther from the bed until the problem goes away? The odd part is I am running auto level.

Here is my start.gcode:

G28
    G92 E0 ;
    M565 Z-1.0 ;
    G29 ;
    G1 Z5 F5000 ;

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Make the M565 value more negative if it's running.

Autolevel still needs to know the offset value to work.

15. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

I just finished my first print using Cura, when it's finished it raises the Z Axis up so many MM's but when I click to print something it else it does the leveling dance but then after it levels the bed with the G29 the Z Axis is to high, what can I do to resolve this?

16. danzca6

I don't think this is a cura issue. Can't remember, did you do the Z leadscrew upgrade or have the R1+PLUS? If so, the z endstop brackets that have the wing/leaf that wraps around one side of the x axis end caps are known to rub enough to hold up the x axis during autolevel at times. If you did the leadscrew upgrade, try your old z endstop brackets. If you have the R1+PLUS, you can always print out ones without the wing/leaf. There seems to have been an uptick in stair stepping during auto leveling lately. Just some things I have seen from others. My not be the cure for you, but I can be pretty sure it's not cura causing it.

17. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

I have the Plus model, so I'm guessing I have the lead screw upgrade already. I know the brackets you're talking about and they are fine but now I am printing a 5mm test cube that has different steps and it prints great until the final step where its just 1 cube and the layers get all distorted .

pictures are here http://imgur.com/a/fpQKr

18. danzca6

Just setup my new PC last night with the latest version of Cura 15.04.3. I was surprised to see that there is a profile under "Other" for the Robo 3D R1 now. I don't think it was there on the earlier version of 15.04 I had on my old machine. There were several little things different by default from going through the instructions at the beginning of the thread. Not sure if anyone has tried printing with those defaults or not. The start gcode is very condensed. I'll try to print a cal cube tonight with those settings. I will just change the start gcode and the temps and see what happens. Too late last night to do a print. Just curious if anyone has used this default profile yet or not. I'll post back what my results are.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I installed and selected the robor1 option. Printing with their defaults and going well. A few things I'm not liking so I'll tweak here and there but looks good!

20. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

Followed the instructions but cura is not working correctly. When I load the file it will show in the box area but it does not display the print time or filament used. Also when i go to generate the slice view i get nothing but a blank screen. Same file works without issues in matter control