1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Shipment has arrived!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Coby Robo 3D, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Coby Robo 3D

Coby Robo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello all you awesome people,
    Letting you know we just received a shipment of 500 assembled printers! This morning was spent organizing and getting ready for QC testing. At our estimated rate, we are thinking around 30 printers a day will ship from our workshop and out to the hands of all you backers.
    We undoubtedly have some long days and nights ahead of us, but we know it will be worth it when we can see and hear of all of the amazing things you print and show off!
    Within the next couple of weeks, check your inboxes for shipping tracking numbers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think I saw mine :)

3. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

will be checking my inbox more frequently now :)
    you guys need to stack up on RedBull and Coffee :)

3 people like this.
  4. scotta

scotta Active Member

Great news, will that complete all the KS orders?
    If not, how far will it take the orders up to.

3 people like this.
  5. Alex Moule

Alex Moule Member

I did some very quick sums and I think my May pledge is somewhere around the #350-450 mark so I'm hoping to get my shipping confirmation some time in the next couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed I get to eat my words about it arriving after christmas!

6. cosber

cosber Active Member

I'm 564 in the May tier and got word I can pick mine up (I live in San Diego) next week!
    Wouldn't you know it I'm leaving for Philadelphia on Thursday.

7. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I am 298 in the April tier and have heard nothing yet. International though so that may make a difference.

8. scotta

scotta Active Member

So how hard could it be to provide some information on where they are up to and the planned, or indicative, delivery dates.

Managing customers expectations should be top if the list here. I don't mind if I have to wait a few more weeks, or even a month, but for f's sake how about some relevant information.

I know you guys are busy, but if you expect to continue to run a business after you complete kickstarter, then you will need to gain some skills in customer management.

I'm one very frustrated customer......

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

30 per day puts them at 150 per week. To ship all 500 of those printers it'll take them around 4 weeks. Though remember we're days away from finishing work on the 2nd 500 in china, which will be getting shipped direct to consumer. I see from your profile you're in Singapore so I think it would make sense that your printer will be shipped once they start shipping from China?

I thought this had all the relevant information. o_O I even told him as much. I guess you wanted harder numbers?

If you have any concrete suggestions I'd bet they'd like to hear them. They really are working hard on getting things going and appreciate our support a lot.

10. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

I purchased it from the actual website. how long should I expect to wait for them to arrive. the 8-12 week lead time or is that only for backers?

11. scotta

scotta Active Member

Mike, I think you may have missed my point. Why should I, as a customer, be trying to figure out when I'm going to get my goods. When I go into a ford dealership, and order a car am I told, 'we are making 500 next week'?
    NO, i get told, 'the expected delivery date on YOUR vehicle is XYZ.'
    I am not left by ford to try to figure out when...

Also Mike do you work for robo3d? Whilst i do appreciate your input, but really my question should be answered by the company.

All I am asking for is a summary table, something like....
    Pledge backers
    PLA with original estimated delivery date of May - status= all shipped
    ABS with original estimated delivery date of June - status -current estimated delivery date = November to mid-December
    Etc.....

Is that too much to ask.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's simply unfair to compare a tiny small business to a massive company life Ford motors. If you went into Ford and said "I want this exact car" then they'll probably say "It'll be 6 to 8 weeks for us to build it." If you've ever ordered industrial equipment you can realize how a 4-12 week lead time on something isn't that out of the ordinary.

Remember that there was never any contractual obligation to honor tiers. I'm sure they're trying in general to follow the tiers but they're subdivided into 8 categories. Domestic and international; ABS Kit, ABS Assembled, PLA Kit, PLA Assembled. If a May shipper gets theirs before an April it probably has to do with something beyond what tier they were on. Squeaky wheels will often get the grease.

It's hard for us to imagine just how much complexity is involved in trying to categorize and organize 1000+ shipments. They probably have a system that works for them but it's just a matter of time.

Like I said, your printer will be shipped between 1-5 weeks. I don't think they can really give a more definitive answer than that, as annoying as that fact might be.

I don't see why employment with Robo3d would have an impact on how I try and help them or the respect that I give them. They don't have time to read and respond to every single comment and thread and it's not fair to assume they would. I'm just around to funnel information to them so they have an idea of the attitude going around.

13. ponwer

ponwer New Member

I ordered through the website and I am #1313, could any one take a guess when mine will start to ship? I was hopping end of October since I ordered June 12th. Also it's been 123 days. So what do you guys think? I might as well cancel it and go with something else.

14. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

You guys are freaking me out. like seriously! i just ordered the printer expecting a december-ish delivery! Please someone help me. the customer contact is ignoring me although i have sent like 8 email through the website!!
    :(

15. scotta

scotta Active Member

If the Ford example is not good, then replace it with a small engineering company. I was not complaining about the delivery date, just that I should still to be told an expected delivery date.

I just want to know when they expect to complete each tier. Expected delivery or completion date. I'm sure I am not alone.

I have never seen in any information provided that all the KS shipments would be completed in 1-5 weeks. This is new news that another 500 units are almost complete.
    If this is what you are saying.... on behalf of robo3d team.... then that is great news.

I just wanted to know if you were an official voice of the company and thus can your posts be relied upon, or these are other guesses.....

I am not trying to disrespect or play down the work the Robo3D team have done. I admire their entrepreneurial spirit and appreciate the efforts. However setting clear expectations with customers is a key lesson they will need to take forward. "Set clear expectations with your customers, and meet them every single time, regardless."

16. Leebean01

Leebean01 New Member

I do have to agree with scotta here, as somebody who ordered in January for delivery in March I find it a little frustrating to be told "soon" and "the next few weeks" for months on end.

3 people like this.
  17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Geez if my small engineering firm ran off of kickstarter expectations our chief investor would be in here yelling our ears off. Things change and delays happen through no fault of our own. It's just about continuing to push forward. Once the product is out there it matters less how long it took to get there.

As we've seen there are still March tiers awaiting and May tiers printing. I wish I had a better idea of what this is caused by but none-the-less it's happening. Every time I see a March tier without a printer I make a personal effort to ensure Coby is aware and that they're taken care of promptly.

From the update on the china business trip:
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/china-business-trip-and-more.1004/

Now it didn't say so in the update I was able to pry that the printers will indeed be shipping direct from china. I probably copied and pasted it from the shoutbox somewhere if you need further proof.

Take them for what they're worth I guess. I only report on things that can be sourced, so anything I heard in confidence from Coby won't be distributed. If you have any doubts about what I say being true I'll gladly cite them if needed.

Just trust that I'm on this forum a lot (2nd monitor, sitting in a corner at work, etc), so I have the most opportunity to ask the guys about status updates and relay the questions I've been hearing on the forums.

They're getting slammed from all fronts and it can be hard to filter through the noise.

I'm trying to help them funnel information as much as possible so they can spend their time focusing on more important business endeavors that they've been hinting at. It's important to us that we get our printers and it's important to them that once we get ours there's still going to be sales coming in. Their current sales points are quickly getting nipped at by competition so they need to come up with ways to stay fresh. I think they're achieving that, but at their own pace.

Try not to send them too many emails. They can only handle so many incoming requests :)

If all goes well, then getting your printer by December sounds more than reasonable. At 5 weeks from today that puts us into mid november to ship out all 500 from their shop + whatever printer's have shipped from china. With the combination of ~300 they've shipped from california already, the next 500 they just received, and the 500 in China, that's 1300 printers. I would assume they've sold less than 500 printers post-kickstarter so getting yours shortly after the kickstarter 1000 are shipped out should be a non-issue. Keep positive you'll get it before you know it :)

LeeBean I'll be contacting you directly

18. cosber

cosber Active Member

A co-worker who has backed many Kickstarter projects told me last May not to expect the product for about a year after you sign up. Most Kickstarter projects are an idea that someone came up with in their garage-they are focused on the product, not the logistics. If I was purchasing a product from an established company, then I'd be really ticked at the lack of information and delays in the shipment of my printer. Give the Robo guys a break. You are backers of a startup-don't expect the same service you would get from Ford Motors or whoever. If the company makes it through these begining growing pains, and they don't get any better, then we'll give them hell!

3 people like this.
  19. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

thanks

20. Allen Morrow

Allen Morrow New Member

I just got word that my printer is shipping. I am a March supporter with an ABS upgrade. I can't wait until it's here. Keep them rolling out guys I know that there are a lot of anxious supporters.

3 people like this.