1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Are PLA fumes dangerous?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WorkableRobo3dR1Plus, Jan 8, 2016.

1. WorkableRobo3dR1Plus

I have heard a few conflicting messages on the dangers of printing in an enclosed space. On one extreme we have the people that say PLA is not dangerous at all, and you just want to stay away from that 'toxic' ABS stuff. On the other hand some people say that there are billions of microscopic particles that are waiting to kill you at any moment that are born out of the printing process. I don't know which is right and I am looking for input from others on the forum to get to the bottom of this, thanks!

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You know, I have been reading more articles lately of folks studying that very thing. Now that home 3d printing is booming, more concern and awareness is coming to the front. From what I have read, PLA is the safest, but doesn't mean it is fully safe. I'm sure that could even change between manufacturers depending on additives and such. PLA is a corn based product and isn't too bad. Good topic. Definitely want to vent ABS. Nasty smelling stuff on top of toxic. Handling of the materials from a 3d printer is also a good question.

http://3dprint.com/108795/ul-research-indoor-air-quality/
    http://3dprint.com/108119/rokit-non-toxic-filaments/

3. WorkableRobo3dR1Plus

Hey thanks for responding! I will look into that article, your two cents is appreciated! @danzca6

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Unless you are printing with a number of printers and printing a lot the fumes issue is likely moot, but ABS is nasty compared to say PLA. You really should just use the printer in a well ventilated area (and that complicates ABS too without an enclosure).

Well, I guess if you stood over the printer and huffed it all day while printing for days you might have an issue...

Geof likes this.
  5. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Not sure why people are so afraid of plastic, its not like your burning the stuff and causing caustic fumes, Abs is used in just about everything you touch on a daily basis, your kids put lego's in their mouths, and yes they are abs. There is a definitive line here, but I'm sure in reality anything can harm your body in moderation. I print abs in my office all day, does not effect me or bother me, it does stink a bit but only if I put my head in the printer.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Pics?

:)

Section 31HQ and Mike Glass like this.
  7. Johnny Yuen

Johnny Yuen New Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I run the printer and don't really concern myself with little stuff. I think its time better spent on researching operation. It's like saying I only drink bottled water because the tap is bad for you :). Mine runs a lot in my bedroom...no issue as of yet

9. Beeedy

Beeedy New Member

small apartments and 3D printers don't seem to mix well. If anyone is concerned I recommend running a decent air purifier next to the machine while it runs to mitigate fumes