1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament Monitor

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by John Rygg, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Clayton

Clayton Member

I have a few problems that hopefully can be resolved in code.
    First is when the M600 command is issued it does as it should: moves to proper coordinance and ejects the filament but it also RELEASES THE MOTORS allowing me to move the X or Y axis's which I obviously do not want to do. This forces me to re zero the X or Y axis before resuming which shouldn't be necessary. Releasing the extruder motor only would be great.

Secondly, if the machine is idol and I trigger the filament sensor to change filament, the machine will do a VERY slow M600. I would like to be able to change the filament without triggering the M600 at all if the machine is not running any code. Anyone have any ideas on either of these things?

I'm using simplify3D and a Robo3DR1+

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am not sure you will be able to accomplish this in Marlin. There is no command available to turn off a single stepper. It is all or none. You can't even build a script of commands to do this. As a matter of fact, there is no defined G-code or M-code that will enable/disable a single stepper, so this isn't a Marlin issue as any firmware that follows the NIST standard for G-code interpreters does not include this functionality either.

You might be able to fake it by moving all the way into a corner, retracting enough to get all the filament out of the extruder and then just waiting. Manually load you filament and push it into the hotend. Once loaded then interact with the controller to continue the print, I am not sure if you could actually execute this on command or if you need to incorporate it into your sliced G-code file prior to printing.

3. Clayton

Clayton Member

WOW! It is hard for me to believe that Marlin can't unlock only one or more motors.. Just wow..
    Thanks for the reply. This kinda blows my mind.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Marlin didn't create the standard, they are just one implementation of it. The standard is controlled by NIST and basically is an extension of work started by Allen-Bradley with some contributions from General Motors.

Clayton likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Now I hate AB even more than when I actually had to work on their stuff in the field* :)
    That does explain a lot.

*I got better

6. Clayton

Clayton Member

I had no idea ofr Marlins origins or about the standard. Hmm.. So I guess its up to some individual to come up with something then huh? Man that sucks.... Actually, I wouldn't even care if the motors stayed locked as it automatically spits out the filament anyway.

So how would I go about making it so it doesn't disable the motors at all?

7. Mechengineermike

Mechengineermike New Member

Agreed. For the sake of completeness on this topic I just wanted to share what is probably the cheapest and easiest approach. (This is the only option for closed source printers!) An auditory only solution, a low filament alarm.
    I recently designed one that is super loud and has attachments for bowden tube feed systems and an oiler. Product page here for those interested: