1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

eSUN Filament Spec Chart

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by WheresWaldo, Feb 3, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Since quite a few people here use eSUN filaments I asked William at intservo.com (eSUN's U.S. distributor) to make the chart available for download. It does not replace Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) but rather is a quick overview of their products.

esun-specs-all_copy_2[1].jpg

#1 WheresWaldo, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Personally I have tried their PLA, ePC, PETG and Cleaning filaments and have been happy with all so far. Their wood filled is PLA based and uses bamboo fibers. I am looking forward to using their Wood-fill, Flex and PLA+ filaments in the future.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's pretty cool. I've had good luck so far with my eSun filamentsd, especially their prototype supply line

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

William @intservo contacted me and mentioned that eSUN is the only maker of PVA filament and that all current brands on the market are relabels of the eSUN product.

Also we spoke about the eSUN Wood filament, it is PLA based and he is pretty sure it is Bamboo filled. It should be lightweight and have a light color after printing.

eSUN is also trying to move into more industrial filaments, we are likely going to see more metal filled and other additives to produce strong printable filaments. As I get more information I will pass it along.

5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I just wish they had more colors for their PETG, more solid colors too. The jolly rancher colors are cool and all but I'm getting bored with the same 4-5 colors they have.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Don't know their plans on that, I am going to try out their filled filaments here soon. I hope they continue to move forward with more choices and colors. William did say that they really like the new PLA+, easier to print and stronger than previous PLA filaments, he said 'finer' also, but I am not sure what that means. But if it's anyway better than straight PLA it might satisfy my need for more colors. They are coming out with a eStainless Steel filament (PLA based) and a not usual blended carbon fiber filled. Guess I am going to have to swap in my Volcano and some hardened steel nozzles. I am anxious to try all their filled stuff, although I see their conductive TPU based filament as a real niche product. I don't know if he has any ABS+ in stock but the chart shows some impressive impact resistance numbers, almost as high as polycarbonate.

He also told me that eMorph is remoldable after printing under hot water. Maybe someone else can come up with a reason for that one, I can't.

7. KTMDirtFace

8. KTMDirtFace

Just ordered some esun cleaner, and eFlex to try.

I'm so happy with their PETG, they are spooled nice ( never had a tangle )

9. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

I wish ESUN put more care into color in their PETG products. The colors they have used have compromised the integrity of the product. The solid Red is pale and brittle after printing but the magenta is fine. Since Magenta is unlikely to be a color that is a big seller it was likely an accident when trying to make red. The blue while absolutely beautiful won't stick to the bed even though the black does very well. The fumes from the Blue make three members of my family sick . That necessitated my building a venting system to the outside (even the venting system isn't enough). More goes into coloration than just picking a dye. You have to take into account it's chemistry at a wide range of temperatures and how it might react with the plastic itself. This is very unprofessional. To be honest I'm extremely disappointed and think ESUN needs to get their act together.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have not personally tried their solid red PETG, but I can say with confidence that I have had several spools of translucent blue and never had any issues with sticking to the bed. The only translucent color to give me problems was orange, and I have gone through nearly 5 complete spools of it. While some stick better than others, there is no one universal method to get better adhesion and so many factors go into bed and intra-layer adhesion, it would be impossible for the casual observer, especially from a distance, to speculate on why any of us have issues with one spool over another.

Look at this recent study about fumes and printing plastics, http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.5b04983. All plastics no matter what emit VOCs and other particulates into the air, working without ventilation is just unwise regardless of how safe it might be. Common sense has to rule when working with plastics. Just because there may be no perceptible odor doesn't mean any of the fumes are safe. You cannot place blame on any filament manufacturer for that, it is the nature of the medium we are working in. Of course coloration is more than just adding dye, I am sure eSUN knows this all too well.

Unless your background is in chemical engineering, who has done a comprehensive chemical analysis of the filaments, any definitive statements made are more opinion than fact. So without knowing anybodies background I could easily replace eSUN with any other manufacturer's name in these types of statements and it will likely be just as true.

Like most manufacturers, eSUN does not release information on what chemicals they use to color their natural filaments. As 3D printing tries to become more mainstream, there will be a call for more transparency. It will most assuredly end up like printer ink/toner where we will just never know what it is completely comprised of. Reasonable care must be the rule.

Just a disclaimer about this message, I rewrote it several times to make sure it is not viewed as any type of personal attack on @David Sparrow. I felt the need to address the statements made in the same manner in which the information was presented.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

All release voc, I'm talking about something released specific to the blue translucent petg. Whatever it is is several times worse than the black.

12. KTMDirtFace

Didn't know they even had solid PETG in red. Never seen that option. I have the magenta? it looks like clear red. I havn't opened it yet.

I have used LOTS of Esun PETG orange.

and I have used a spool of PETG black, and a spool of yellow ( its kinda honey color/clearish really )

All I know is I have never had a tangle with Esun stuff, so I'm sticking with it. Tangles are the most annoying thing to me ever..and I have never had one with Esun stuff.

#12 KTMDirtFace, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The solid Red is new. It was originally only Black and White. I have used the black, it is really shiny, and I mean really! The White is still unopened. The Magenta is darker than most reds I have seen, so I can see why they named it that way. The two translucent colors I haven't printed are Yellow and Green. I like their ePC, stronger than ABS and warps less so it is a bit easier to use, but it must be extruded hot!

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Who do you buy from? Intservo?

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I bought a bunch from Amazon, INTSERVO is the main Amazon supplier, William is also the US distributor of eSUN. His site intservo.com is usually $1.00 or so cheaper per spool but you need to buy 3 rolls to get free shipping and beat Amazon Prime. So bottom line, spend more than $80.00 and intservo.com is a better deal, otherwise small orders go to Amazon. I should also mention I get the same shipping from both as INTSERVO and I are in the same state.

16. KTMDirtFace

I buy from both, normally I buy from Amazon so I can get prime shipping, but I have ordered direct from Interservo too and it came pretty fast...when amazon was out of the orange Petg.

Yes I agree the black is very shiny. doesn't bother me though.

Just got my ESUN cleaner filament today, ran it through, seems to work I saw a bunch of orange come out..and I havn't printed in orange in awhile. so it must have cleared stuff out.

EDIT: Vador on the left is in ESUN PEGT solid black.. it is shiney
    [​IMG]

#16 KTMDirtFace, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Mike Kelly likes this.