1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered New RAMPS board

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by James Harry, Feb 13, 2016.

1. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

After burning up my RAMPS board, I have received a replacement from Robo3D. (I went the 3rd party route and had a horrible product which I returned).

The original RAMPS for my R1 was white, and the new one is black with a slightly different layout. Overall, I like it, but I'm hoping someone might have a pinout diagram/listing for it, or can point me to one.

I have hooked up two fans to the FAN1 and FAN2, but not sure what pins they are on from an Arduino standpoint.

Thanks,
    Jim

[​IMG]

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Even if the layout is slightly different, the connections should be labeled the same and the Arduino pins should also still be the same.

3. James Harry

But they aren't, and that's my point. There is a fan power connection on the lower left. And then on the upper right, there is FAN1 and FAN2 connectors as well as LED1 and LED2 connectors. Those look like they take the place of the AUX2 connectors.
    [​IMG]

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Robo switched to a different style of RAMPS with the later printer and they do have the same electrical characteristics, but different styles of connectors. I have not seen a connector diagram for the 'new' one and don't have one to play with. Someone else hopefully can look at one from an R1+ and clue you in.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They haven't released a diagram yet for it and most likely won't because they don't seem to do that. I suggested they get one to Marquis (Novice Expert) and have him add it to their video

Major Changes:

- Flips D9 and D10 labels, but does not change pins. D10 is now the parts fan but still runs off pin 9, and D9 is for the heater but still runs off pin 9
    - Removes E1 pins and jumpers Z to this spot, creating a Z1 position. Now you have an independent stepper driver for each Z motor but the pins are still the same for a single.
    - Removes AUX2, adds 12v pins for fans/lights

That's functionally the only difference, hope this help you get it sorted out.

6. James Harry

Thanks, Mike. I had worked most of that out, and I really like the 2 fan and 2 light power sources. I didn't take the time to test to see if they were controllable or just on all the time. I will probably take the R1 apart this weekend and maybe take some time to test. Right now, I have two fans plugged in that get power all the time, but would be good to know if I can rewire my LEDs to be controllable via the RAMPS.

7. James Harry

[​IMG]
    If you look at this picture, It appears to me that it is labeled D10 and D8, with D9 removed.

8. James Harry

I do like the extension for the USB port, instead of fishing for it!

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ah good to know, had no idea.

That extender is really nifty looking, can you post some more pictures of how the usb extender works?

10. James Harry

The extender is soldered on the board where the USB port would normally have been. I will probably be taking the board out this weekend and will snap a few other pictures when I do.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  11. Pete M

Pete M New Member

SO DO YOU WIRE D9 TO FANO?

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.