1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello From San Jose CA

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by David Cassingham, Feb 27, 2016.

1. David Cassingham

David Cassingham New Member

I am in California and have ordered my Printer today
    is there any free 3D software out there

2. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Yes, and lots of 3d models on thingiverse, myminifactory etc....Also 3d modeling like tinkercad.com.
    If you mean slicers the robo3d comes with matter control (which you can choose) but other like cura. There are a lots more just read the forums.

And happy printing.

3. David Cassingham

David Cassingham New Member

I was wondering if there is any free software out there that I can try to make my own prints with I know about AUTOCAD (big bucks) I sawe a simple utube of a lady describing one the name was something like scan it sounded perfect for me

4. woferry

woferry Member

Hi from another San Jose resident! "Like scan" might be scad? OpenSCAD is free, but you do need to be comfortable with doing all of your modeling as code instead of graphically (you can render your model to visualize it, but all you can do graphically is move the camera around, you can't alter your model at all with the GUI). Personally I've found I really like this approach, but I'm a hobbyist programmer (and an engineer for my day job) so I like writing code.

I had also tried FreeCAD when my first glance at OpenSCAD made me think "holy learning curve, Batman!" It's also free and is GUI-based, it's pretty decent I just found I liked the code approach better, so I've been replacing the few things I did in FreeCAD with OpenSCAD equivalents.. The big commercial CAD software folks also have free versions for hobbyists, I've heard of 123D (from Autodesk) which is free but I haven't tried it out myself. Some web searching can surely turn up some lists, I found these for example: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/free-cad-software/ and http://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2015/11/04/top-19-of-the-best-free-cad-software/

- Will