1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered LED Lights Wires

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Charles M Waldie 3, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Charles M Waldie 3

Charles M Waldie 3 New Member

I want to change out the blue LED lights and wanted to splice the wires with the new ones. However, I don't know which one is negative or positive. I don't have a meter to check and see. I have one dark blue and one light grey. I am assuming dark blue is negative and light grey is positive. I don't like the blue LED lights. :(

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You know what they say when you assume.

Look at where the wires are plugged in and note the orientation.

Otherwise buy a multimeter. They're not expensive and are very important.

Charles M Waldie 3 likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Blue LEDs SUCK! I replaced mine with some nice white ones and now I can actually see in the printer. You shouldn't need to cut anything. Just open the bottom of the printer and you will see where they connect to the RAMPS board and that will show - and +.

janot928 and Charles M Waldie 3 like this.
  4. Charles M Waldie 3

Charles M Waldie 3 New Member

Once I get the funds I will indeed get me a meter. I'll check out the Arduino board and see which is negative and positive. Thanks for the advice.

5. janot928

janot928 Active Member

from memory the white is + and blue is -. But you can always try one way and if doesn't light up then just sich polarities

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they often have coupons for free ones. Not super high quality, but work in a pinch for most things I do. I bought a kit off of Amazon as a soldering project for my nephew a year ago. It was $20 or so. Works great and was a fun project. But they decent ones are't too much money. Good to have in your toolbox when working with electrical.