1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lead Screw Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Harry, Jul 14, 2015.

1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

shouldn't matter, plug them both in, if one is turning the wrong way, just reverse the plug.... not a big deal, mine was like that too...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The wire colors on mine did not begin to match the old ones.
    Still worked. Just had to pay attention to which way the steppers wanted to turn.
    If it is backwards, rotate the connection 180

3. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

if you look at this diagram, the blue is in the correct place.... the old ones were wrong :)

[​IMG]

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

800, as in steps, is too much. Sorry but that simply cannot be as it is calculated by hardware choices and not subject to interpretation. There is likely something else going on if things aren't correct.

5. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Its consistent, both motors moving up too much the same amount.....

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

After the leadscrew update these are dead on for me:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

7. MakeJeff

MakeJeff New Member

Firmware time.
    I click the Lead Screw Update link
    R1plus.JPG
    and it creates a folder called ROBO3DR1PLUS1
    the header where I clicked says ROBO R1 Firmware 3.0
    opening in Arduino leads to:
    R1ard.JPG
    I have an R1, non PLUS?
    the box it came is says ROBO ABS 001
    got it late 2014.
    so does this folder just contain every single option and I have to click the right one?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you installed the leadscrews on a 'non-plus R1' you do indeed now have an R1+

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The link you clicked is the ZIP file that contains the firmware source code.
    Follow the rest of the instructions on that page to compile it (with the Arduino IDE) and upload it to the printer (with the Arduino IDE)

Look for "Flashing the firmware"

11. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I received the new stepper drivers and installed them a few hours ago... SUCCESS!!!

Z-axis movement is now buttery smooth and very quiet. Nothing like when I first installed the new motors.

It seems suspicious that both Terry and I would have previously working Z stepper drivers go bad exactly when we installed the new motors, but it's only 2 data points...

Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. Terry Taylor

Terry Taylor New Member

Indeed strange, but glad you got it resolved.

13. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

I have an older r1 (before auto-leveling), and I was just curious, if i were to upgrade, would this upgrade require any new switches, and wiring. I know several people have asked about the upgrade, but when it comes to electronics i'm pretty much a noob. I just want to know that my r1 is easily up-gradable to either robo3d's upgrade or the cheaper alternative upgrade.

14. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

If you don't have auto leveling on your robo, than you might just have to make manual changes to your firmware for the new steps. Have you done that before? If not, there are instructions on the Robo site for flashing firmware. Or we can help walk you through it. I think auto leveling can be added as well if you want, but you would need to buy some Z end stop switches and wire them to your RAMPS.

Search for this in Configuration.h for the following definition. The 3rd parm is the Z steps. Change that to 800 (if you got the Robo Z upgrade). The 4th is your extruder steps and might very from what you have. So leave that and the others alone.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,761.45}

I think that will do you.

If you're not having issues with Z banding, you might not need to bother with this upgrade. It would be optional.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Add autoleveling while you are doing the bed replacement.
    one switch, one wire, move he switches and a fraction of the time the bed upgrade itself will take you.
    Just print the switch mounts before starting (they mount up next to the X axis crossbar rather than the one the Z rod).

Boom then you have an R1+ :)

(OK, not without the leadscrew update, but hey -- close)

16. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Skip the auto-level upgrade and just flash the mesh bed leveling firmware and run the leveling procedure with an M500 at the end.

17. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

I'm not going to lie. I have no idea what an M500 is, but if i could easily add autoleveling to my printer i would love that. I looked into adding that, but i saw a post how to do it, and it seemed a little out of my ability. Now from the other thread, it says too buy these (listed below) what else would I need to add the bed leveling thing, so i can just order them all at once (links would be great, and directions). Thanks for the help
    As cheap as possible links, total cost $22.59:
    1. Leadscrew w/Nut: http://www.banggood.com/3D-Printer-300mm-Lead-Screw-Z-Axis-8mm-Screw-Pitch-p-980650.html (2 @ 8.56 each)
    2. Solid motor couplings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-5mm-8mm...tor-Spanner-/400943418727?hash=item5d5a170d67 (1 set @ $5.47)

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you don't want to upgrade the leadscrews at the same time you could just by the nuts to match the threaded rods you have and then add a switch and some wire. One Robo I did the leadscrew upgrade and added auto-leveling the other I just added the auto-levleing.
    Less than $10 for autoleveling alone.

I had 5/16 threaded rods so two of these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90264A445

(8mm rods would need a slightly different nut)

Then print the mounting brackets:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349935

Mount the switches and then ...wire them in parallel back to the ramps :)
    Same connection the one switch went to.
    Load auto-leveling firmware and away you go.

#238 mark tomlinson, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  19. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

well the biggest problem with my z axis is that one of the threaded rods appears to wobble causing the ribbing, that is why I was going to get new rods, also can you link the switches and other material needed for the leveling

20. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The switches are something you can get straight from Robo. http://store.robo3d.com/collections/parts/products/endstops?variant=6393336067 The you just need wiring, a couple crimp ends to hook to the endstops and the ramps. Pic several posts up has the schematic of the RAMPS where things plug in if that helps.

Now do you have smooth rods on you z axis that go all the way to the top of your cover and secure to the cover or are they just free and unsecure? Having them secured helps. There are prints on thingiverse that can help with that.