1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

OK, here we go!

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

When I saw you cleaned your printer bed with India Pale Ale I laughed. :D

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, for starters...If this is ABS your print temperatures look suspiciously low.

Extruder -> 195
    Bed ->60

Now for me that is too cold for ABS (even with a Volcano).

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should create different profiles for each material you normally use (and really each material and each set of parameters).
    So like

-ABS, 0.4 nozzle
    -ABS, 0.3 nozzle

etc. As well as any other groups of settings you normally need.

5. cdsl810

cdsl810 Member

Make sure that in the G-Code tab your Z offset is set correctly too. If your starting too high, the filament won't stick and the first layer will look like crap. MatterControl defaults to (-0.1mm), and this may be why it works with MC and not S3D.

6. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

That's odd because I have ABS set to print at 235 and 80. Not sure why that profile shows otherwise except maybe I sent the wrong one. Check this one out and let me know if this looks right.

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

225 in this one.

You might just want to create a new profile :)

8. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Since I sent the first profile, I've been adjusting the z-offset lower by 0.05 increments. I must be making some progress because the filament isn't going wacky. It's actually laying down now, but during the last print, the ABS warped and the print was ruined - sigh. I'm printing on PEI at 80 so I just dropped the offset again to -0.35 and see if that makes a difference, along with cleaning the PEI with a multi-surface cleaner and then IPA (lol). I also checked the hobbled bolt and it was a tad nasty, so I cleaned it out too.

9. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

I started printing ABS at 230 and ended up upping that to 240 and am getting better quality all the way around.

10. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

OK, my problem is solved. Z Offset was the issue. I had to set it to -0.35 and once I did that, my perimeters were closed and the print is actually sticking to the PEI. Now I can get back to my >300 hours of printing for my stormtrooper E11 blaster. You can see I bought this thing for useful and practical items.

Thanks for all the help!

11. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Well I spoke too soon. An 18 hour print failed about 85% into it due to warping of the ABS. Tried a shorter print and it did the same. I don't think this is relevant to S3D, so I will go to the PEI thread and see if anyone is having the same problem. Grrr...

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a abs problem.... I gave that junk up lol

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ABS is the worst filament in terms of warp-and-curl. It desperately needs a heated chamber for environment control if you are printing anything of size that can't tolerate the potential for warp. Large flat objects are the worst.

I always suggest making sure you really need ABS (there are a lot of other choices with better thermal and strength properties).

14. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I've nothing but bad things about ABS. Hence all the comments above. PLA is better IMO. I haven't tried any exotics yet. I have to buy a new hot end from Printed Solid, good company to buy from. E3D is being ordered tomorrow!

15. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

I really like printing ABS. Better strength than PLA, I can put it in my car, and lacks that shiny surface. I know Mark and others have championed other materials that is like to try out.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, if it were only PLA vs. ABS then ABS wins on all of those fronts.
    Just for temp deflection though I like things like BluPrint or Alloy 910 (Alloy 910 beats on strength as well).

There are so many other choices that I just never need ABS.

17. Robert Foreman

I stopped using ABS and started using PETG.

18. j93

j93 New Member

I was looking to see if the Simplify3d software would auto level the r1+ like mattercontrol does?

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I haven't used MC in ages but Auto-bed-leveling is actually built into the Marlin firmware that Robo uses. In the SCRIPTS tab of S3D you can add a G28 command to home X, Y and Z axes. then you can add a G29 command to perform the auto-level routine. Both would be in the startup section. The result would be that those codes would appear in every sliced gcode file saved from S3D. They would be executed before actual printing would commence.

MChrisP1 likes this.
  20. XEMA

XEMA New Member

Just purchased the Simplify3D, as mentioned above, the hardware actually does the leveling. I will mention that my printing was vastly improved by switching to Simplify3D, also being able to see all the layers helped me figure out some weird printing that was going on.

MChrisP1 and Geof like this.