1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bubbling on bed, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Arnold, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

My first several attempts at printing with the supplied blue PLA went pretty close to perfect. I replaced the PLA with some Gizmo Dorks Wood PLA, and my frustration started. Something went wrong and the print carriage came out of the carriers on either side, took my a while to figure that one out. My first long run with the wood PLA resulted in a clogged nozzle. Took me three hours to figure it all out and get it printing again. I replaced the wood PLA with Hatchbox PLA. I am getting what I describe as bubbling on the table. It happens with both hairspray, and I also use 3M transfer tape (4 foot wide masking material used in vinyl graphics applications). The PLA sticks like crazy to the transfer tape, so much so that I am afraid every time I try to break it free.
    I am assuming I need to tweek my settings but would like a little guidance where to start. Bed temp? Flow rate?
    The picture shows the bottom of a box I just attempted. The walls and topside of the box bottom are flawless. The top of the box, printed alongside this piece was smooth, but had a slight lift at two of the corners, so I am guessing bed temperature needs to go up. It is currently at 55. I am using default settings except I changed to 15% fill, which I don't think would affect this.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance! IMAG0233.jpg

2. Tom Finzel

Tom Finzel Member

If you are using MatterControl trying changing the z offset to 0.8. The default is 0.9 Look under controls/macros towards the bottom. Just click the 0.8 and it will stick for future prints.

Paul Arnold likes this.
  3. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

Tom:
    Thanks, I will give that a try tonight. Yes I am using MatterControl. Without being afraid of sounding dumb... lowering the z offset will put the nozzle closer to the bed?
    I have so much to learn.

4. Tom Finzel

Tom Finzel Member

Yes, it will make the nozzle closer to the bed. :)

5. Schlomo

Schlomo Member

That looks more like bubbles under the surface of your contact paper or whatever you're putting down on your bed. Is it absolutely smooth? Just looks like transferred bumps from the bed surface...

6. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

I've had this issue many times. Try turning the heated bed up to 55 or 60c for pla. If that doesn't work try adding a little bit of glue using a glue stick. Hope this helps.

Paul Arnold likes this.
  7. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

Definitely a perfectly flat surface.
    I discovered that the right side of my carrier (I might be calling it the wrong name) was slightly higher than the left side, so I very carefully assured that they were exactly the same height. I clicked the .8 offset macro, and the printing was nearly perfect, the only issue, slight lifting of the corners on the far side of the bed. I have now upped the bed temp to 55 and am running another test. I'm not sure if the issue was the offset or the uneven carrier, but I'm going to mark this as solved.
    Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

Tom Finzel likes this.